Ariens 1024 Woes and couldn't come at a worse time! - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-31-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 1024 Woes and couldn't come at a worse time!

Hello Everyone,

Newbie here from "Sunny" Buffalo NY. I have an Ariens 1024 I bought new many years ago. Aside from some cosmetic wear I've gone out of my way to maintain the machine all these years. Sadly, she's having issues now that are tough to diagnose for a newbie. Last season she was plagued with an idle surge issue. After some research I found this video on youtube

I followed the instructions and voila! Problem solved! Holes were blocked solid and after cleaning them out I figured I was good to go. She idles wondefully and I revelled in my victory confident she was ready for this winter. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Now there's a new problem. She takes awhile to warm up and if I turn off the choke to fast and increase the throttle she backfires and sparks out of the exhaust. If I'm patient and give her five minutes to warm up she comes up just fine after that UNTIL I get rolling! After maybe 5 minutes of blowing snow she starts losing power, boggs down and stalls under load. I've checked for blockages and debris and everything including the impeller will turn freely by hand. She fires right back up and idles like a dream then the same thing happens after a few minutes. I even loosened the gas cap to make sure she wasn't vacuum or vapor locking and it made no difference whatsoever.

The carb has never been rebuilt and I'm hoping someone might have an idea of what's going on or what I can try to address this. We're getting buried here so any help or advice is most appreciated!

Thank You!

Last edited by Bloodhound1941; 01-31-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-31-2019, 08:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Received): 33
Sounds like its running lean. (not enough fuel or too much air)

Might be time for fresh gas, new fuel lines, spark plug and a carb clean/rebuild.

And check the intake manifold gaskets for damage.

Best of luck.

Ariens ST1032 924084 (ST1232)
MODS: Tecumseh OHSK120 12hp, 3" Pulley, 6 Blade Impeller Kit, Hand Warmers w/ on-off switch, 1700 Lumen LED bulb,Front Weight Bar 18.5lbs, Chute Clean Out Tool, Tire Chains, Drift Cutters, Armorskids
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ian Ariens 924 liked this post
post #3 of 13 Old 01-31-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks homesteader. With our current situation I need to take the fastest most direct approach to this that I can. A carb rebuild is out of the question due to time restraints and no heat in the garage but not entirely impossible. I'd prefer to replace the whole carb and the intake gaskets with it but that's where my lack of experience stops me in my tracks. I have no idea what engine I have or what carb I would need to buy let alone where. I've read some nightmare stories about chinese knock off carbs that are absolute garbage. I'm partially disabled as well so for me this approach makes more sense even if it its more costly. I'm hoping to bolt a new one on and be done with it if the general consensus points to the carb being my issue. If I have to adjust the lean/rich mixture and dial in a new carb then forget it. If I have to learn how to do that then I'll take the time to rebuild the one I have if there's a kit readily available. I'm more frustrated than anything else. If we weren't getting buried with snow as we speak I'm sure I'd be up to saving the $$ and rebuilding the carb at the kitchen table. Well, when the wife leaves for the day anyway LOL!

Last edited by Bloodhound1941; 01-31-2019 at 09:13 PM.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-31-2019, 09:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
I'm assuming it has fresh fuel while this is going on.

I would probably start at the gas tank and work my way to the carburetor. Drain the tank, check the in-tank filter, all the lines and the shutoff valve. If this passes I'd pull the bowl and float off the carburetor and check for water or debris and deposits. It does sound like it's starving for fuel. Could be something as simple as a partially plugged filter.

The engine serial # should be on a sticker on the engine. This should help you with parts, etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"Where's that confounded bridge"? - Robert Plant, "The Crunge"

Last edited by aveteam; 01-31-2019 at 09:16 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-31-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveteam View Post
I'm assuming it has fresh fuel while this is going on.

I would probably start at the gas tank and work my way to the carburetor. Drain the tank, check the in-tank filter, all the lines and the shutoff valve. If this passes I'd pull the bowl and float off the carburetor and check for water or debris and deposits. It does sound like it's starving for fuel. Could be something as simple as a partially plugged filter.

The engine serial # should be on a sticker on the engine. This should help you with parts, etc.

Thanks Aveteam. The gas is fresh. I wasn't aware there was a filter in the tank. I was never able to find a fuel shut off valve so my guess is she doesn't have one. I'll start there and report back what I find. Is the in tank filter something special or can I grab one at home depot or lowes? Wouldn't even know what to look for. I've never removed the fuel bowl and I'm not sure where to look for debris and deposits. This is uncharted territory for me.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-31-2019, 09:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound1941 View Post
Thanks Aveteam. The gas is fresh. I wasn't aware there was a filter in the tank. I was never able to find a fuel shut off valve so my guess is she doesn't have one. I'll start there and report back what I find. Is the in tank filter something special or can I grab one at home depot or lowes? Wouldn't even know what to look for. I've never removed the fuel bowl and I'm not sure where to look for debris and deposits. This is uncharted territory for me.
On my 724 it's a fine mesh screen inside the bottom of the tank where the fuel outlet is. If it's this type it's built in to the tank.

Any debris or water should wind up in the bottom of the float bowl. It's held on by a bolt and fiber washer.

Last edited by aveteam; 01-31-2019 at 09:36 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-31-2019, 09:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Received): 50
Those bigger HP Tecumseh's are notorious for the valve clearance closing up, also. Its a good idea to replace the fuel line periodically, also. ethanol degrades rubber. And small chunks could get in the carb.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #8 of 13 Old 01-31-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City View Post
Those bigger HP Tecumseh's are notorious for the valve clearance closing up, also. Its a good idea to replace the fuel line periodically, also. ethanol degrades rubber. And small chunks could get in the carb.
Learned about Ethanol fuel the hard way. Ruined 2 weed wackers so I switched to ethanol free fuel this past spring. Sadly, this snowblower has been running on ethanol fuel 10 years or more. Found a video on youtube I'm watching now. Now sure if the carb is the same but it may be the informative crash course I need if a rebuild is in order...

post #9 of 13 Old 01-31-2019, 10:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Ethanol free is definitely the way to go if you have a station close by that sells it. Seafoam isn't a bad idea either. This is my first season for both and so far so good.

post #10 of 13 Old 01-31-2019, 10:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
as motorcity mentioned, check the valve clearances... your new symptoms have the hallmarks of a valve not closing completely.

Pop-off the valve cover, go to top-dead-center and measure the valve-stem / rocker clearances using a feeler gauge. I believe both intake and exhaust should be 0.004".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page