LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-26-2013, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
Throttle question

I noticed something today, thought I'd find out if I'm going crazy or not.
I rebuilt and sold a 8 HP blower with a 924020 tractor unit a few weeks ago and I'm currently working on a 8 HP on a 924026 tractor unit. Both were HM80 motors.

IIRC the handlebar mounted throttle on the 924020 unit worked like all the ones I normally work on: towards you is the lowest speed and away from you (closer to the engine) is high speed.
I had some fixing on this 8 on the 924026 and initally wasn't able to get it to start. After some head scratching and looking I noticed that the handlebar mounted throttle works in reverse of what I expected: towards you is the higher speed setting and away from you is low. Both engines had the carbs replaced with the exact same carb so don't see how that could affect it. Far as I remember, the same carb mounted throttle mechanism on both also.

I know this one definite works this way, I've looked at the throttle mechanism on the motor and handlebars and there is no way to reverse anything I can see. It all looks original and does not appear to have been replaced at any time.

Did Ariens actually have machines with throttles that worked in reverse direction from one model to the next? I lost enough time trying to figure out why it wasn't starting till I noticed that. Doesn't seem logical but it is what it is. Question is: is it 'normal'?

Last edited by HCBPH; 01-26-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 788
Yep, its normal..I have seen it both ways..
I dont know if Ariens made them both ways or not, but I would suspect it is very likely that they did..(and probably all the manufacturers have). I have seen it both ways with a stock Ariens throttle, and an aftermarket throttle on the same machine..I talked about it here:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/sco...html#question2

Oh, and when I made that entry in the webpage, I didnt understand why Ariens suggested you "park" the machine with the throttle set at the "fast" end..I do understand it now! When you are done using the snowblower for the day, you should always store it with the throttle set to "full" or "fast"..all the way out to "full speed"..why? in case the cable freezes up!

If you go to use the machine the next time, and the cable is frozen and wont budge, you can still use the machine if you left it in the "fast" position! just start in fast, use it in fast, and finish in fast..you could use it to clear the driveway without even using the throttle at all! But then, if its still frozen when you are done, you have to turn off the machine by turning off the gas valve..

but if you store the machine in "stop"..and its frozen..you cant use the machine at all until you un-freeze it! which could be a hassle..

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-26-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
Throttles

I might be nuts but at least I'm sure that's not the cause
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page