LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-02-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 28 deluxe sho auger issue

Only used 5 times and always worked great. Went out today and the auger blower not running full speed and canít handle the load and auger stops. Engine running fine and plenty of power to drive it around, just the auger acting up. Looked at manual and will check out the linkages tomorrow. Not sure what the cause is yet. Any quick ideas of what might cause the auger to slip or stall?
I store it in an unheated garage connected to house and make sure the snow is not packed into the blower when parking it.
Thanks all.
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-02-2019, 03:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 217
Check the tension on the idler pulley. It explains it in the manual
post #3 of 13 Old 02-02-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Will do.
Thank you Russ.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-02-2019, 04:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 217
After a few hours, the new belt stretches and adjustments need to be made.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks PeterK53 thanked for this post
post #5 of 13 Old 02-04-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Checked it out today and found the linkage adjuster had come loose and backed off. Took the top cover off and found the belt closest to the motor had come off. Pulled the bottom cover off to put belt back on and noticed something weird to me.

The curved bar with the brake pad seems not to be manufactured correctly. The hinge side is fixed in place with no adjustment I can see. The bar only covers one of the two belts and the brake pad only contacts one belt when actuated. Doesnít seem proper to me. Or maybe the entire bottom pulley assembly is not located correctly as might be too close to the auger. Then again maybe it is the way it is supposed to be. Just seems strange as really there is nothing to prevent a belt from coming off a pulley when the tension is released.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-04-2019, 06:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Can you post a picture of the belts issue? The two belts you're referring to, are they both for the augers?

If this is the brake that prevents the auger from spinning slowly when the augers lever is released, then maybe that makes sense. It's just trying to apply some drag to the augers pulley when you let go of the lever. But that brake doesn't really need to contact both belts, for instance, it's just trying to act as a brake for the augers pulley itself (down on the bucket, not at the engine).

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #7 of 13 Old 02-04-2019, 06:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 68
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 97
Likes (Received): 110
Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK53 View Post
Checked it out today and found the linkage adjuster had come loose and backed off. Took the top cover off and found the belt closest to the motor had come off. Pulled the bottom cover off to put belt back on and noticed something weird to me.

The curved bar with the brake pad seems not to be manufactured correctly. The hinge side is fixed in place with no adjustment I can see. The bar only covers one of the two belts and the brake pad only contacts one belt when actuated. Doesnít seem proper to me. Or maybe the entire bottom pulley assembly is not located correctly as might be too close to the auger. Then again maybe it is the way it is supposed to be. Just seems strange as really there is nothing to prevent a belt from coming off a pulley when the tension is released.

Post some pictures....I just went through this issue with my 921037, and have it running and working really well. The way I see this is.....if there is nothing really wrong with the brake, which I assume will be the case.....its a matter or readjusting your idler pulley ( Double pulley below the main large drive), you'll need to push it inwards to the middle). My belts were not running true. Now they run great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DAS_Repaired 2 copy.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	152921  

Life is short, so if you don't have the strength to laugh at yourself,
call me.....I'll laugh at you!
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 with 291 CC Engine
2011 John Deere JS36 Self Propelled Mower
Too many Craftsman Mechanic/Yard tools to mention
post #8 of 13 Old 02-04-2019, 06:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK53 View Post

On my new Deluxe 24 I found the brake bar was touching the pulley even when the clutch was fully engaged, tension on cable correct..I removed the bar and had to bend it slightly , and now works properly,,it does rest on only one of the two belts..I also made the idler more tight on the belts, as the factory setting is too loose...
post #9 of 13 Old 02-04-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The picture Cutter posted is exactly how mine looks from the top.
As Snowjoe sas his is describes mine too from the bottom. It just would seem that to prevent or restrict the chance of a belt coming off the pulley it would simply use the curved brake bar to cover both belts not just one. I guess it is as designed.
If I get a chance tomorrow I will drop the bottom pan and take a picture.
Thank you all!
Pete
post #10 of 13 Old 02-04-2019, 08:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Received): 31
What you are describing is normal (except for the belt coming off).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page