LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 02-05-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Ariens ST 1032

Hello from Finland! I am considering buying a snow blower since I am getting tired of manually shoveling snow.

I found this on a 2nd hand site and it looks interesting but I figured I should ask more knowledgeable people about the machine first. From what I have found out and from the sellers description, it's a 1980s blower and it has a replacement B&S 10HP motor. The seller wants 640 which i feel is expensive, I am thinking 500 if everything works.

Maybe prices for these things are a lot more expensive here than in the Us, I am not sure. For 500 I could get a new cheap model from one of the hardware stores, but I don't subscribe to buying cheap junk. Better second hand quality. Anything in particular one needs to consider with these?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-05-2019, 10:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Received): 33
Winter isn't the time to buy used machines. You will always pay a premium for buying in the winter, sometimes double.

That's an older engine than the original Tecumseh 10hp it came with.

Machines in that condition go for around <200USD in the New England area of the States in the spring/summer.

If you're not familiar with used snowblowers I would check out this video to familiarize yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/wFOVWb_QP5k

Used machines can be a money pit if you're not willing/can work on them yourself. Part of buying a new machine is the comfort of knowing you should get at lease a few problem free seasons out of it.

I picked up an Ariens ST1032 for 220USD last summer with a broken clutch fork and upgraded the engine to a 12hp Tecumseh for 125USD. Not sure what's available in your area but some machines in the summer are priced so low it can feel like stealing.

Ariens ST1032 924084 (ST1232)
MODS: Tecumseh OHSK120 12hp, 3" Pulley, 6 Blade Impeller Kit, Hand Warmers w/ on-off switch, 1700 Lumen LED bulb,Front Weight Bar 18.5lbs, Chute Clean Out Tool, Tire Chains, Drift Cutters, Armorskids

Last edited by Homesteader; 02-05-2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: corrected url link
post #3 of 24 Old 02-05-2019, 11:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
I agree with Homesteader 100%, everything he said.

The machine is nice but old. The engine is very old, metal gas tanks rust, air filters don't come with snow engines, this engine came from something else, from a summer engine, is another give away.

Best advice? Keep looking and post again. I'd take it for free, maybe. It should have a larger engine and newer. Can you use a wrench?

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #4 of 24 Old 02-05-2019, 12:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
I bought a somewhat rusty ST1032 three years ago for 300 dollars and I'm basically happy with it. One word to the wise, download an owner's manual and be prepared to service the machine yourself. Parts break with use and rust and can be very expensive to have repaired at a shop.
post #5 of 24 Old 02-05-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
I agree with Homesteader 100%, everything he said.

The machine is nice but old. The engine is very old, metal gas tanks rust, air filters don't come with snow engines, this engine came from something else, from a summer engine, is another give away.

Best advice? Keep looking and post again. I'd take it for free, maybe. It should have a larger engine and newer. Can you use a wrench?
I will keep looking then, but I doubt the price level will be much cheaper, based on my looking around at various brands (Yamaha, Honda, Gilson and Ariens). Maybe our summer is too short for memories of winter to fade...

I'm not an expert on motors, that's my weak point, more used to wood, metalworking, welding, renovating old machines both woodworking and metalworking, currently working on a milling machine, so I guess I know which way one holds a wrench, lots of bolts in taking apart one of those.
post #6 of 24 Old 02-05-2019, 12:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 119
Good used lawnmowers are expensive in the summer, cheap in the winter. The reverse is true for snowblowers.
post #7 of 24 Old 02-05-2019, 03:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Being comfortable with machinery is a great start. But if engines are a somewhat new area for you, I think that machine would an even worse choice.

It has a non-standard engine, whose history you don't know. So if you're looking for help here, the first problem is going to be that it has a weird, replacement engine, which people here are less familiar with. And the engine being extra-old will not help anything.

Lots and lots of snowblowers had Tecumseh engines. But that old Briggs is not familiar looking to me, you'd probably find that it's not a common snowblower engine.

That doesn't make this a bad machine. But it does make things a little more difficult for you.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #8 of 24 Old 02-05-2019, 04:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
Yamaha and Honda are the best, Ariens next. Gilson? That hasn't been around for 30+ years. What you don't want is an engine with 2 separate pulleys on 2 separate cranks, one for the drive, the other for the auger. That is old technology and difficult to deal with.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #9 of 24 Old 02-05-2019, 05:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
that 10 32 is a great blower if you need a big boy....but get one in better shape for cheaper....my favorite is the little sister, the ST 824...maneuverable, reliable, cheap and easy to maintain....
post #10 of 24 Old 02-05-2019, 06:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Received): 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
Yamaha and Honda are the best, Ariens next. Gilson? That hasn't been around for 30+ years. What you don't want is an engine with 2 separate pulleys on 2 separate cranks, one for the drive, the other for the auger. That is old technology and difficult to deal with.
Personal opinion as to what brand is the best. Yamaha and Honda have smaller engines and can’t move as many tons an hour as Ariens but have other positive benefits. Yamaha isn’t available in a couple countries. It all depends on your needs, availablitly, price and perferance.

Ariens ST1032 924084 (ST1232)
MODS: Tecumseh OHSK120 12hp, 3" Pulley, 6 Blade Impeller Kit, Hand Warmers w/ on-off switch, 1700 Lumen LED bulb,Front Weight Bar 18.5lbs, Chute Clean Out Tool, Tire Chains, Drift Cutters, Armorskids
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes aldfam4 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page