LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-07-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Ariens chute locking issue

***OK I didn't search well enough. How about, has anyone engineered their own solution to this?

Anyone else running into problems with the chute lock failing to... lock? Part 7 here, it goes into the the teeth on part 12 here to hold the chute in position:

https://parts.ariens.com/partlookup_...c~028%7c~029/y

The gear seems pretty solid, but this locking arm is a really cheap piece of stamped steel. I've had to take mine out once a season and bend it back into the right shape. I try not to be a gorilla when aiming the chute, but it seems that the momentum of any amount of chute movement causes this piece to bend over time. The 2 edges that lock into the gear teeth get closer together and eventually won't fall into the grooves anymore (plus they're looking pretty worn), so the chute starts swinging around on its own. I'm trying to be very careful to stop the chute completely before letting go of the handle but that isn't so easy if you're trying to aim in while in motion. I bet higher strength steel and/or making this a machined or forged part would probably help but I doubt that'll ever happen.

Last edited by iwfur25; 02-07-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-07-2019, 02:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 7
I have the same setup on my machine. The only time I've had a problem with the chute not locking into position is when I have water in the cable, causing the cable to not return after releasing the lever. I've had to use a hair dryer, (with the cable removed and hanging), to melt the ice and then a blow gun on my air compressor to blow out the moisture. I forced grease, as best as I could, into the cable and filled the boot with grease, as well.

Hope that helps!
post #3 of 5 Old 02-07-2019, 04:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 84
That seems to be a week point on the lock. If it's that bad, start off with a new locking lever. Before I install it, I file down the lock tabs at an angle.....So it gives a more positive lock action. I also try to tighten up the chute pivot point, so it doesn't swing so violently.

GLuck, Jay
post #4 of 5 Old 02-08-2019, 05:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 123
Garage
Sounds like the arm is not fully engaging into the gear. The teeth are tapered (for easy insertion of the arm) so if arm is not fully engaged with the gear it will not hold the chute.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #5 of 5 Old 02-08-2019, 08:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 648
I have in the Past added an extra Spring to get it to Lock Firmly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page