LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-10-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 921053 diagnostic port?

I just bought this machine. It works many times better than any carbeurated system I have ever run. I was wondering from those who have dealer experience or have worked at one, is there a diagnostic port or dealer tool to read the efi system values?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-10-2019, 09:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 573
The dealership near me has one they showed me...claimed it cost $1700.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-10-2019, 12:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
Common issue with going to carburetors to efi on cars, trucks, or snowblowers. You will now need to have a laptop, special cabling and software at a minimum to interface with it. What you could once physically see is now a bunch of electrons. Automating is good in some areas, not so in others.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-10-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm curious, only because I do engine management for a living. I'm guessing it may be proprietary software they have a 7.2v battery. If I could find a willing dealer, it would not be too hard to log the protocol.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-10-2019, 04:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackish View Post
I'm curious, only because I do engine management for a living. I'm guessing it may be proprietary software they have a 7.2v battery. If I could find a willing dealer, it would not be too hard to log the protocol.
It even gets worse than that. Have the various manufacturers settled on a common connector and signal and error methods?

Take a look at cars, the early ones typically used a ODB I port, but even those were not totally standardized. When ODB II was approved, there were some that used ODB I signaling on a ODB II port for a while before cutting over. Now if you add to the mix the add-on EFI setups, I'm not sure what they use. It takes a long time IMO for both the standards to develop and become available to everyone that works on them. I don't see this happening overnight.

There's a whole lot more cars and trucks vs. snowblowers, so the chances of standards in vehicles is much higher than small engines, even then some requires adapters to plug in a code reader. Personally I think it will be a while before there is standardization between the various small engine manufacturers, if it ever happens at all. If each has it's own standard, I pity the poor tech that needs to deal with them in the future.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-10-2019, 04:59 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 175
OBD-II is nothing more than a monitor for EPA mandated emissions stuff . . . even now, to do anything beyond reading those mandated values gets proprietary and has no cross-brand standards.

I see it as basically a BS way to try to lock out 3rd party service by making it prohibitively expensive . . . (at least until someone reverse engineers the protocol and offers an equal or better too to what the brand sells for a fraction of the cost . . . ).
post #7 of 10 Old 02-10-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Keep in mind that the components for can 15765 or j1939 are inexpensive and well tested. It is not in the best interest of a manufacturer to try and develop something new when an established standard is readily available with cots products ready to be licensed and supported for their dealer network. While I don't have any interest in developing a reflash for the snowblower, it might not be bad to build and release a diagnostic suite.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-10-2019, 11:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
There is the physical interface and low level protocol, as you note, and then there is the messaging that runs above it. The latter is what is often proprietary . . . even if an OBD-II scantool speaks the correct flavor of CAN (or whatever) does not mean that it is of any use with any particular vehicle . . . any typically any PIDS etc. outside of the OBD-II mandate are not openly documented . . .

That's why most of the alternate tools can be inexpensive. VCDS for VAG cars is $250 to $400 and in many cases does more than the dealers tool . . . Someone got mad enough to reverse engineer the protocol, and the rest is history. There just has to be enough demand to justify the effort, and frankly, I suspect that the EFI hardware diag interface on a blower is bowling ball simple compared to something like CAN, although the actual protocol could be anything . . .

Last edited by tadawson; 02-10-2019 at 11:59 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-11-2019, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The electrical level is simple to implement, so that doesn't concern me. The complexity will depend on whose ecu they licensed. I wonder if anyone could get a picture of the dealer tool?
post #10 of 10 Old 02-12-2019, 08:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Yup, that would be very interesting. I have to seriously doubt that they rolled a totally new ECU or system . . . the snowblower market just isn't that big for Ariens to do that, and also, LCT is the engine mfg anyhoo . . .

I'd guess it's something pretty common, but hidden rather well to not make it too obvious. This stuff really isn't terribly high tech . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page