New 2018/2019 Ariens Pro32 adjusts its own throttle! - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-12-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 27
New 2018/2019 Ariens Pro32 adjusts its own throttle!

Finally, after a rather light start to the winter, the new Pro32 is earning its keep. We got a solid foot overnight, another foot is forecast for tonight, and another half-foot on Friday.

I took the Pro32 to give it its first "real" workout this morning. The good news is it moves snow like crazy. Seriously, I was arcing snow an easy 40 feet in the air and 60 feet downrange. We're talking a FIREHOSE of snow, a solid "rod" of white "Chute"ing out. Very impressive to hear that B&S 420cc engine bear down when it plows into a tall pile.

However, a new behavior has shown up. After warming up the engine, I move the throttle to maximum... and within seconds it moves itself down to about 75%. You can see it move, and the engine RPM's drop noticeably. This was important today because some of the drifts were 2+ feet tall and needed extra grunt because the snow had been tumbled and was no longer light.

I fiddled with it for a while, but could not get the throttle to hold at 100%. So I'm using a mini bungee cord to hold the throttle at max. It's inconvenient but with all these storms lined up, now is not the time to tear into it.

Anyone else seen this? Any ideas what might have changed, and why, and how to correct it? Is it just a simple friction device on the throttle lever? Why would it have changed from the last storm to this one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-13-2019, 08:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 68
I'm guessing something is a little loose in the throttle linkage and it's vibrating out of place.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-13-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I agree, I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this and could say "Yeah, it's the trizonal accumulator nut, give it half a turn clockwise".

First step is to dig into the engine controls. B&S did a great job on completely covering the engine {growl), literally nothing is accessible. How do you safely remove the choke knob and primer pushbutton? The B&S manual has nothing on self-service, it's all "take it to the dealer".
post #4 of 12 Old 02-13-2019, 01:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 68
The choke knob just pulls off, as does the rubber bit on the end of the throttle lever. The primer hose is long enough that you can move un-bolt the cover it's attached to and move it out of the way without removing the primer from the cover.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-13-2019, 02:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 217
If it's new, bring it to the dealer under warranty
post #6 of 12 Old 02-13-2019, 02:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Received): 26
there is a nut, bolt and washer that the throttle pivots on and provides tension. Quick adjustment for the dealer

Ariens Pro Hydro 28 Rapidtrak
Toro 2450
Toro 3650
Toro powerclear 1800
post #7 of 12 Old 02-13-2019, 03:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 3
I haven't noticed that behavior on mine. In fact the throttle is pretty darn stiff and doesn't move at all unless I want it to.

Ariens Pro 32 Hydro Rapidtrak
post #8 of 12 Old 02-13-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The choke knob just pulls off, as does the rubber bit on the end of the throttle lever. The primer hose is long enough that you can move un-bolt the cover it's attached to and move it out of the way without removing the primer from the cover.
Excellent, thank you for the confirmation!

I went ahead and fixed this today just to have it out of the way. Far, FAR easier, faster, and more reliable to just do it myself than load this thing into the truck and drive a hour's round trip to the dealer, who is guaranteed to want to keep it for some indeterminant amount of time because of "backlog". Yeah, right. And this is the dealer that couldn't even assemble the machine properly in the first place. I had to go through everything myself after parts literally started falling off in the truck on the ride home, I had to reinstall parts that were scattered all over the pickup bed.

rslifkin's comments on the controls were exactly correct. It's not necessary to remove the throttle lever knob, but otherwise you just pull off the choke knob and remove the two 8mm (head) bolts that hold on the black plastic cover. Then it lifts off with the primer bulb and on/off switch still attached.

As I and others here expected, there is a single bolt with a nylok nut that controls tension on the throttle lever. A throttle return spring pulls the throttle lever toward idle, and a max throttle screw limits its range of motion. Turns out B&S cheaped out on the 10mm (head) nylok nut, which has presumably only been installed once yet had absolutely zero rotation resistance. I didn't have a fresh nylok around, so I applied some blue Loctite to the threads of the nut (NOT the bolt, I don't want the Loctite draining down into the pivoting parts) and reinstalled it.

Then I experimented with tightness. Too loose is obvious, of course. Too tight and the throttle lever is too stiff to operate properly. There's a range of tightness that "feels" right, but at its bottom end the throttle return spring can still overcome the friction and pull the throttle lever off the max throttle screw just a bit. So I used that as my measure of proper nut adjustment: I adjusted the nut until it was just barely tight enough to hold the throttle lever fully against the max throttle screw.

Now the throttle lever holds its position, but isn't impossible to move. I can put away the micro bungee, and I saved myself the near-infinite frustration of taking the machine to the inept dealership to wait some random number of days/weeks for them to adjust a single nut - and probably with less care than I just gave it.

See photo for details. Hope this helps someone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThrottleNut.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	153461  

Last edited by IDEngineer; 02-13-2019 at 04:41 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-13-2019, 06:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEngineer View Post

I went ahead and fixed this today just to have it out of the way. Far, FAR easier, faster, and more reliable to just do it myself than load this thing into the truck and drive a hour's round trip to the dealer, who is guaranteed to want to keep it for some indeterminant amount of time because of "backlog". Yeah, right. And this is the dealer that couldn't even assemble the machine properly in the first place. I had to go through everything myself after parts literally started falling off in the truck on the ride home, I had to reinstall parts that were scattered all over the pickup bed.
May I ask who the dealer is, I also live in North Idaho and have been looking at getting a new Ariens...
post #10 of 12 Old 02-13-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Man, I hate spreading bad reviews, but totally understand why you want to know. Let me just say they're on Appleway Avenue in CdA so I don't have to put their name in here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page