LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-13-2019, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 921046 Deluxe ST28LE Vibration

I have the above snowblower with less than 10 hours of operation.

When I took it out this morning, I noticed that there is an excessive vibration when the speed selector lever is in a forward gear and the traction drive clutch lever is held down. This does not happen when it is sitting still or I have it in a reverse speed and the traction drive clutch lever is held down.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited by 65Nova; 02-13-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-13-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
edited original post for clarification
post #3 of 5 Old 02-13-2019, 01:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 112
Does the unit move like it is supposed to when you engage the drive clutch handle.
You could do a quick drive belt check and make sure that proper tension is on the belt when handle is engaged.
Check your drive clutch cable for excessive slack.

Look behind left tire and forward of the axle you should see a tab that moves when you engage the handle, the book says to adjust to where that tab touches the forward part of the slot when the handle is not engaged, however I set mine to where it is approx. 1/16 + away from tab. It just works better, if the cable is to slack the friction disc may not be engaging the drive hub with enough pressure causing skipping or jumping , and as well premature wear on the friction disc
post #4 of 5 Old 02-13-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the help.

I pulled the belt cover.

When I engage the clutch, the pulley/wheel (drive hub?) that moves towards the friction wheel is throwing sparks.

Is something loose or broken?

Last edited by 65Nova; 02-13-2019 at 07:23 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-15-2019, 04:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 68
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 97
Likes (Received): 110
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottstodo View Post
Does the unit move like it is supposed to when you engage the drive clutch handle.
You could do a quick drive belt check and make sure that proper tension is on the belt when handle is engaged.
Check your drive clutch cable for excessive slack.

Look behind left tire and forward of the axle you should see a tab that moves when you engage the handle, the book says to adjust to where that tab touches the forward part of the slot when the handle is not engaged, however I set mine to where it is approx. 1/16 + away from tab. It just works better, if the cable is to slack the friction disc may not be engaging the drive hub with enough pressure causing skipping or jumping , and as well premature wear on the friction disc

Do as Lottsdodo has already mentioned, and in further inspection, use a cable tie to engage your auger leaver with the engine running and the belt cover off. You'll be able to see if the gearbox is vibrating, how the belts are running, pulleys are spinning ( had an improperly seated pulley on the bucket causing me alot of vibration) , so as to eliminate any of these issues.
Then check your transmission with the lower plate removes to see if your friction disk engages properly. Inspect the friction disk......check You Tube and watch several videos.

Life is short, so if you don't have the strength to laugh at yourself,
call me.....I'll laugh at you!
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 with 291 CC Engine
2011 John Deere JS36 Self Propelled Mower
Too many Craftsman Mechanic/Yard tools to mention
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page