LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 45
Adding weight to my Ariens augur shroud

I am away from home as I type, will be back mid week next. So not being home I did not want to order weight material for my machine. Getting close to that time so I resumed my metal search. I was earlier hooked on using a lead brick offered for sale on Ebay. The brick had dimensions of 8x4x2 inches of course so I thought best if I cut the thing in half and mount each piece on the sides of the shroud. Seemed messy but th lead block was going to be shipped free, all 25-26 pounds of it.

Back to my search. I found a few pieces of SS, one was 17-4 and the other 304 with my desired measurements. The pieces are 1.25’’ x 3’’ x24’’. The density of SS is about 0.287 or so pounds/cubic inch. Running the numbers, those pieces have a weight slightly over 25#! Yeah, I know, I could use plain steel. Hopefully by this time next week I will have received the piece ordered, not sure if I will go with 17-4 or 304 until I place the order.

For those who are considering adding weight in a manner that will be eye pleasing, try Ebay for your search. Sure Ariens sells their 10 pounder in the $50 range and reading the positive reports from others that have added weight, 25# seems to be what they like for performance. So 25# is going onto my machine just as soon as the metal arrives at my home.

Last edited by foggysail; 02-15-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019, 12:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 110
Old 02-15-2019, 07:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 16
How much does that weigh?
Old 02-15-2019, 09:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 21
I believe that the 30" husky bar is 7 pounds, there is also one for a 27" that is 6 pounds. I had looked to increase the single 10-lb Ariens bar that I already had, so I had ordered the 27" husky bar but it ended up being a special order direct from the manufacturer and appeared to be on backorder so I gave up and got the 2nd Ariens. Check to make sure about the delivery timing if you do order it...

You could also go with these if you really want to play around, they cost about $1 per pound and can be delivered to the store free, I still consider getting a couple to see how the extra weight would be handled:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CAP-Barbe...?selected=true

In the end I was glad to have ordered the second Ariens bar for the full 20lbs.

Last edited by trellis; 02-15-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 112
I worked on a ariens blower yesterday that the old farmer had taken a used (scrapped) road scraper cutting blade and made weights that he bolted on in place of the drift cutters.
As the position (angled) to the front forward of the housing, they still work great as a drift cutter and he painted them ariens orange, as well it can still be put in a service position with no problem.

He made 2 sets one set combined weight is 24 lbs and the other set is 15 lbs.
he said he uses the lighter weights until the ground is frozen and has a good base then puts the heavier ones on.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I finally remembered to go measure my Ariens weight plate, sorry. From the dimensions I measured (0.65 x 4.55 x 22"), using 0.29 lbs/in^3, for steel, it would weigh 19 lbs. So it's probably a 20 lb plate, and my measurements or density are slightly off.

Then I added an additional 5 lbs, for a total of 25 lbs, on my 24" bucket.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Old Today, 04:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Just made a weight for my Ariens 30 efi. I went to a welding shop and they cut me a piece 1/2 in. x 3 in. x 28 in. Total cost - $20.00 tax in. Just waiting for the paint to dry to put it on. I will be installing it on top so that for one the weight will be supported the whole length and if for some weird reason the bar comes off it will not fall into the auger..My front is lighter then my JD 928 E.
I have not weighed it yet but could be a little over 15 lbs.
Old Today, 04:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Nice, enjoy! I've found mine very helpful, especially for keeping the nose down while climbing our driveway's incline.

My machine already had the weight, when I bought it used. The previous owner put it on top of the bucket, facing up.

If I were doing it again, I'd put it "inside" the bucket, on the underside of that top bucket surface. It would look nicer, and avoid a weird patch of paint on top. If I took off the bar now, the paint under it would be nice looking, probably, vs the faded rest of it. And it wouldn't catch snow on top of the bar.

I'd secure it probably with stainless nylock nuts, you could even tighten a second nut against them, as a jam nut, to prevent loosening. Or put a wire safety loop through the bolt or fastener, to help avoid loosening.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in