LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-15-2019, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
28 inch Deluxe In Line Fuel Filter

I have had nothing but problems with my 28 inch Deluxe. Purchased in 2014 after a BIG snow year. Then we had a few years of literally no snow, so I didn't use it much but always ran sea foam through at the end of the season and drained the gas tank. Midway through year 2, I had to have the carbs cleaned because the gas tank had black particles in it. Come to find out that the internal tank coating was flaking off. Same thing happened again the next year. So I replaced the tank thinking maybe I had a defect, BUT the same thing happened again with the new tank. This time instead of paying someone to clean the carbs, I replaced the carb for 30 bucks. When I did I added an in line fuel filter. Purrs like a kitten now when idling, BUT when you get into some deeper snow you can tell it can't draw the same fuel flow as it could without the filter. It gets bogged down and loses power. I am wondering if there is any sort of adjustment i can make to the carb so that when the carb wants more fuel, it can pull it easier. Can't believe I am dealing with this from an Ariens snowblower. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-15-2019, 02:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Are you certain the struggling under power is due to the fuel filter restriction?

What filter did you install? The paper element ones are too restrictive for gravity fed carbs like these. Briggs makes a 150 micron red filter, suitable for gravity fed. Their 75 micron (tighter filtering) white filter is too restrictive, that's for use on engines with fuel pumps.

There's no tweak for extra fuel flow to the carb, that I can think of. With a proper filter, not clogged with gunk, the filter should be "transparent", and change nothing.

If you pull the fuel line off the carb, and open the shutoff (if equipped), do you get a good stream of gas coming out?

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks mikeklaphake thanked for this post
Likes Bondo 287, mikeklaphake liked this post
post #3 of 14 Old 02-15-2019, 03:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 112
This is why I wished that someone would make a sediment type plastic filter like the old tractors had ( glass bowl style) for small engines it would trap and filter plus you would be able to see moisture.
Wouldnt have to be big. all the old gravity feed systems had them. Even the 1948 David Bradly had it. ( still works)
post #4 of 14 Old 02-15-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Are you certain the struggling under power is due to the fuel filter restriction?

What filter did you install? The paper element ones are too restrictive for gravity fed carbs like these. Briggs makes a 150 micron red filter, suitable for gravity fed. Their 75 micron (tighter filtering) white filter is too restrictive, that's for use on engines with fuel pumps.

There's no tweak for extra fuel flow to the carb, that I can think of. With a proper filter, not clogged with gunk, the filter should be "transparent", and change nothing.

If you pull the fuel line off the carb, and open the shutoff (if equipped), do you get a good stream of gas coming out?
I ordered the replacement carb off of Amazon. Here's the link. I used the filter shown in the photos.

post #5 of 14 Old 02-15-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So this is probably what I should try?

post #6 of 14 Old 02-15-2019, 04:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
I haven't tried it myself but in theory two parallell filters should increase the flow

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #7 of 14 Old 02-15-2019, 04:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottstodo View Post
This is why I wished that someone would make a sediment type plastic filter like the old tractors had ( glass bowl style) for small engines it would trap and filter plus you would be able to see moisture.
Wouldnt have to be big. all the old gravity feed systems had them. Even the 1948 David Bradly had it. ( still works)
Or LCT could stop making junk engines. The OPs problem is a manufacturing flaw. Saw it a lot. It should go away after a season or two but still ridiculous to spend a grand or more and have poorly manufactured fuel tanks. I still don't understand why they went back to a (crappy) metal to be honest. Tecumseh and Briggs used plastics tanks for decades and rarely had any issues.

Another disaster is the LCT petcocks. What a piece of junk those things are.

By the way the Honda GX engines do have the little sediment bowls as part of the petcocks. So did the Subaru Robins, Mitsubishi's, and Yamahas. Briggs still sells the petcocks with the big glass bowl like you remember too but the assembly is too large for a Snow Blower.

Last edited by SnoThro; 02-15-2019 at 05:03 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-15-2019, 05:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 189
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeklaphake View Post
I have had nothing but problems with my 28 inch Deluxe. Purchased in 2014 after a BIG snow year. Then we had a few years of literally no snow, so I didn't use it much but always ran sea foam through at the end of the season and drained the gas tank. Midway through year 2, I had to have the carbs cleaned because the gas tank had black particles in it. Come to find out that the internal tank coating was flaking off. Same thing happened again the next year. So I replaced the tank thinking maybe I had a defect, BUT the same thing happened again with the new tank. This time instead of paying someone to clean the carbs, I replaced the carb for 30 bucks. When I did I added an in line fuel filter. Purrs like a kitten now when idling, BUT when you get into some deeper snow you can tell it can't draw the same fuel flow as it could without the filter. It gets bogged down and loses power. I am wondering if there is any sort of adjustment i can make to the carb so that when the carb wants more fuel, it can pull it easier. Can't believe I am dealing with this from an Ariens snowblower. Any help is appreciated.

You have 7.8 hp engine on a 28 bucket of course it struggles in deep snow and wet snow
it's fairly known that its under powered
post #9 of 14 Old 02-15-2019, 05:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 112
Yea have seen many, the Ecoat on the steel inside of the tank is releasing due to stamping and pressing. I do use a clean stick magnet on the inside of the tank on real bad ones , and have gotten alot of material out not all but a lot.

I did see an article about the future of plastics and they are still having problems with aligning to new green rules plus meeting safeguards to be tolerable to new fuels and additives.
One part said the return of metal tanks will probably be used more as plastics under go more scrutiny.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-15-2019, 05:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Quote:
I ordered the replacement carb off of Amazon. Here's the link. I used the filter shown in the photos.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HP2F63M..._MSYzCbFPDJ1PD
It's interesting to me that the carb included a paper fuel filter. From what I've read, those filters are too tight for gravity-fed engines (like this) which don't use fuel pumps.

Quote:
So this is probably what I should try?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004RB1A..._0VYzCbHK3JKCQ
Sorry for not linking earlier (I was on my phone). Yes, that's what I use.

If you want to test your current filter, pull the line off the carb, and see how quickly the fuel comes out. It should be a decent stream. A slow trickle is probably not enough. This isn't some 300hp V8, it doesn't need to be a fire hose. But it should come out as a steady stream.

And if there *is* gunk in your fuel tank, bear in mind that even with a proper-mesh (decent-flowing) fuel filter, you may still need to replace it periodically, or test the flow from time to time, at least if you have problems. You could keep a spare filter on the shelf, for instance. The middle of a blizzard isn't the time to find out that something clogged your filter.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mikeklaphake liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page