Auger clutch issue on Ariens 910962 ST724 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 02-17-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 22
Auger clutch issue on Ariens 910962 ST724

The past couple of days I have been working on a trash find that I picked up a few years ago.

I just installed a new engine on the blower, decided to go with a Predator 212. After some retrofitting and a few minor modifications, the machine now runs and functions as it should.

I ordered myself some auger bushings as well as the main impeller bearing for replacement to improve reliability of this machine, so all of that will soon be taken care of.

Now to the issue I found today. I was finishing up the break-in process for the engine this afternoon and noticed that when the auger is engaged, there is quite a bit of knocking going on. The impeller and auger rakes themselves are free of obstructions and it also appears that the gearbox itself is in good shape (Pending fluid change) so I decided to open the belt cover to investigate further. With the clutch for the transmission engaged as well as the impeller coupling engaged, I noticed that the impeller coupling itself will jump out of position. Not enough to cause it to disengage but enough that it's knocking the two coupling halves around. I honestly have absolutely no idea what would be causing this issue. A weak spring? A bad bearing? The impeller bearing will get replaced regardless but the bearing currently in there doesn't seem all that bad. There's no lateral play in the bearing and it rotates smoothly. I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into this sort of issue on this particular machine and if there's any way to remedy it for smoother operation.

Edit: Here is a video of my machine showing the issue it is having. The knocking sound you hear when the auger is engaged is coming from the couplings.

Last edited by FlamingSpaghetti; 02-20-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-17-2019, 07:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I'm not familiar with that machine, but what's the impeller coupling? I'm not sure what part we're talking about. Pics might help.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #3 of 26 Old 02-17-2019, 07:35 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 175
Sounds like a 10000 series with the dog attachment clutch. I seem to recall there is a spring that the release lever works against - check the manual.
post #4 of 26 Old 02-17-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Sounds like a 10000 series with the dog attachment clutch. I seem to recall there is a spring that the release lever works against - check the manual.
That's pretty much what it has.

The engine drives a large main pulley via belt and a belt idler puts tension on the belt via spring and lever to drive that pulley. Attached to the pulley is a coupling that almost resembles a LoveJoy coupling. Now for the blower half, there's a very similar looking coupling that mates with the pulley coupling and is activated via a larger spring on the shaft behind the coupling on the blower half and a quarter turn lever that slides the coupling over. This is the portion that seems to be knocking around when running, as if the spring no longer has enough tension to keep it in place. I can take pictures and even a video hopefully some time this week.

Here's a video of the mechanism my machine has.

Toward the end of the video, you can see the auger mechanism is released from the pulley shaft. This is where mine has an issue, when the auger is engaged, the clutch is knocking about and creating quite the racket.
post #5 of 26 Old 02-17-2019, 08:08 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 175
There should definitely be a spring behind the coupling on the blower side, as per the Ariens docs (pages 6 or 7, item #43) which I recall causing a need for a bit of force on the handle used to disengage it. Based on how loose your handle appears as well as it's lack of desire to stay mated, I suspect that spring has died . . .
post #6 of 26 Old 02-17-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
There should definitely be a spring behind the coupling on the blower side, as per the Ariens docs (pages 6 or 7, item #43) which I recall causing a need for a bit of force on the handle used to disengage it. Based on how loose your handle appears as well as it's lack of desire to stay mated, I suspect that spring has died . . .

Sorry for the confusion. The video I provided I merely found on YouTube. It's not my video nor my machine, just another machine just like mine.

The handle for mine is fairly stiff and requires a good amount of force to engage and disengage it. Everything seems to function normally other than the coupling knocking about. I'll try to get a video of my machine tomorrow to better explain what's going on, but maybe you're right and it is the spring. I can't think of what else it might be.
post #7 of 26 Old 02-17-2019, 09:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 319
Likes (Received): 629
Spray A little pb blaster on the splined shaft, and work it back and forth. Done.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-17-2019, 09:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 217
Garage
Make sure you're doing this all in the proper order.

First, before you start up the engine - the engine clutch lever is out (down) and the sno-throw clutch is out (counter clockwise, pointing forward). Gear shift in neutral. THEN start it up.

Second, once the engine is running and warm, idle down as low as possible.

Third, then turn the sno-throw clutch clockwise.

Last, engage the engine clutch. This will get the rakes turning. Then you can go to the handlbars and start moving.

Always do this in that order. When stopping, reverse that order.

If you're revving full RPM or even mid RPM when you engage the sno-throw clutch...bad things can occur. There's always going to be a tad bit of rattle when engaging the sno-throw cause those jaw couplings have to mesh...but high speed RPM's will cause that meshing to take that much longer if it engages at all...not to mention the additional stresses it places on the attachment auger "chain of components".

1974 Ariens 922008/922003 "Frankenstein", my dad's 1st new snowblower
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "The Badger", recent addition, ready for snow
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "Juneau", finally ready for snow
1971 Ariens 910962/910995 "Bill", SOLD 3/7/2019
post #9 of 26 Old 02-17-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlshawks View Post
Make sure you're doing this all in the proper order.

First, before you start up the engine - the engine clutch lever is out (down) and the sno-throw clutch is out (counter clockwise, pointing forward). Gear shift in neutral. THEN start it up.

Second, once the engine is running and warm, idle down as low as possible.

Third, then turn the sno-throw clutch clockwise.

Last, engage the engine clutch. This will get the rakes turning. Then you can go to the handlbars and start moving.

Always do this in that order. When stopping, reverse that order.

If you're revving full RPM or even mid RPM when you engage the sno-throw clutch...bad things can occur. There's always going to be a tad bit of rattle when engaging the sno-throw cause those jaw couplings have to mesh...but high speed RPM's will cause that meshing to take that much longer if it engages at all...not to mention the additional stresses it places on the attachment auger "chain of components".

That's what I've been doing, not to sound rude or anything.

I'm just concerned about the rattling the whole auger assembly and what seems to be excessive vibration from the rattling. I will get a video tomorrow to show exactly what's happening because I don't believe it's normal. The coupling, while engaged and in motion at low RPM is knocking about causing the auger assembly itself to knock about inside the housing. It almost acts as if the bearing itself is completely flogged out and bad, but that's not the case as there's no lateral play as far as I can tell.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-17-2019, 11:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 217
Garage
I seem to recall, with the belt cover off, you can actually see the jaw coupling extend as you rotate the sno-throw clutch. You should (with everything shut off) be able to see this movement.

Make sure you've greased between jaw couplings too.

1974 Ariens 922008/922003 "Frankenstein", my dad's 1st new snowblower
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "The Badger", recent addition, ready for snow
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "Juneau", finally ready for snow
1971 Ariens 910962/910995 "Bill", SOLD 3/7/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page