Ariens Platinum 30 SHO leaking gas cap fix? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 02-20-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens Platinum 30 SHO leaking gas cap fix?

I have a couple year old Ariens Platinum with the AX414, I have had it to the dealer once for some minor fixes and a leaking gas cap. They fixed the minor stuff and put a new gas cap on it. It is still leaking, they said they would try another cap, I dont feel the cap is the issue. Has one found anything that works?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-20-2019, 09:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Sorry, what do you mean the cap is leaking? Leaking under what conditions? Just normal operation, like from gas sloshing around in the tank? Or when tipping the machine forward for service?

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #3 of 30 Old 02-20-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Leaking all the time, doesnt matter if it is full or not still leaks and runs down the front of the tank. What I normally do is before I start doing my driveway I fill the tank full. It normally takes me at least a half an hour to do my driveway and sidewalks. I will then put the blower in the garage and shut the fuel off and let it run out of gas in the carb. I have also just shut off the engine without running the carb out of fuel, it does not make a difference. It still leaks gas all over the tank down the front of the engine...It looks like it is leaking from under the gas cap.
post #4 of 30 Old 02-20-2019, 12:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 116
Garage
Do you still have the screen mounted in the tank neck, like the attached pic? I found it better to remove that so the cap sits down better on the tank lip. There is another screen on the fuel shut-off valve in the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LCT gas tank fill neck screen and holder.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	153787  

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #5 of 30 Old 02-20-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
Do you still have the screen mounted in the tank neck, like the attached pic? I found it better to remove that so the cap sits down better on the tank lip. There is another screen on the fuel shut-off valve in the tank.
No I took that out, I found about another 20 mins of run time when I took that out, sometimes it takes me over an hour to do everything and the AX414 is pretty thirsty!
post #6 of 30 Old 02-20-2019, 01:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickpsd View Post
Leaking all the time, doesnt matter if it is full or not still leaks and runs down the front of the tank. What I normally do is before I start doing my driveway I fill the tank full. It normally takes me at least a half an hour to do my driveway and sidewalks. I will then put the blower in the garage and shut the fuel off and let it run out of gas in the carb. I have also just shut off the engine without running the carb out of fuel, it does not make a difference. It still leaks gas all over the tank down the front of the engine...It looks like it is leaking from under the gas cap.
Do you have a picture? I guess I'm just struggling a bit to understand, and that's not meant as anything negative. I've just never dealt with a mystery gas leak, or a cap that had this problem.

I guess I've been spoiled by tanks and caps that do their jobs quietly, so I don't have to worry about them But I do recall hearing discussions of certain Ariens caps that are awkward to use, at least. I think on the AX engines.

It leaks even just sitting there? Or only when using it, so gas is sloshing around? If it's from the cap, I wouldn't expect the fuel shutoff, etc, to change anything.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #7 of 30 Old 02-20-2019, 01:20 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 174
Yeah, I'm really struggling to figure out how fuel can go *up* to escape the cap when parked and not sloshing ... makes no sense to me at this point . . . Short of filling it absolutely to the brim and then having the fuel warm up and expand, I'm out of ideas . . .
post #8 of 30 Old 02-20-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Do you have a picture? I guess I'm just struggling a bit to understand, and that's not meant as anything negative. I've just never dealt with a mystery gas leak, or a cap that had this problem.

I guess I've been spoiled by tanks and caps that do their jobs quietly, so I don't have to worry about them But I do recall hearing discussions of certain Ariens caps that are awkward to use, at least. I think on the AX engines.

It leaks even just sitting there? Or only when using it, so gas is sloshing around? If it's from the cap, I wouldn't expect the fuel shutoff, etc, to change anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Yeah, I'm really struggling to figure out how fuel can go *up* to escape the cap when parked and not sloshing ... makes no sense to me at this point . . . Short of filling it absolutely to the brim and then having the fuel warm up and expand, I'm out of ideas . . .
The fuel level is right about 1/4 tank....The dealer wants to replace the cap again, but that does nothing.... Anyone from Ariens on here I could talk to?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snowblower1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	153827   Click image for larger version

Name:	snowblower.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	153829  
post #9 of 30 Old 02-20-2019, 03:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 45
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 350
Likes (Received): 161
http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/B-2128.pdf
Does this help??

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #10 of 30 Old 02-20-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
They have already done that and tried it to no help. This machine was bought in 2015. My dealer actually said to remove the strainer as it does nothing. The machine does it when it is sitting on a level garage floor with about a 1/4 tank of gas in it....Not alot of gas but enough that the garage stinks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page