How much runout is accpetable by Ariens? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-21-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 115
Likes (Received): 114
Garage
How much runout is accpetable by Ariens?

Question for you.....I have a 921037 Ariens, and I noticed the gearbox shaking a fair bit, while I had the Auger handle engaged and tied down with a ziptie....motor running. I remved the belt cover, and let it run as well, noticing that that pulley on the bucket also had a fair bit of side to side wobble. I split the blower in two, checked the pulley and bearing...both fine. I removed the pulley and reseated it...it did make some difference in the wobble....better by 30% or so. My question is.....is this normal with Ariens? I've watched several videos on You Tube of belts running, and many of the pulleys seem to have some degree of wobble while running. Does anyone know what the specs that Ariens will allow? I am wondering if my impeller shaft to the augers is out of range. It doesn't look like it's hit anything. Any help/advice/or ideas would be appreciated.

Life is short, so if you don't have the strength to laugh at yourself,
call me.....I'll laugh at you!
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 with 291 CC Engine
2011 John Deere JS36 Self Propelled Mower
Too many Craftsman Mechanic/Yard tools to mention
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-21-2019, 06:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 116
Likes (Given): 89
Likes (Received): 132
Garage
Is the gearbox support centered so that the augers have the same clearance? Is the gearbox support tightened down fully against the bucket and the side of the gearbox? Do you feel a vibration through the handles when the auger is running since the impeller could be damaged.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #3 of 5 Old 02-22-2019, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
Is the gearbox support centered so that the augers have the same clearance? Is the gearbox support tightened down fully against the bucket and the side of the gearbox? Do you feel a vibration through the handles when the auger is running since the impeller could be damaged.

Good Morning Town! The gearbox and sidebolts for the Auger are fully tightened....that's the first thing I checked. However,I did not check to see if the gbox support is centred...I will do that today. I can tell you that the augers run fine, no hitting or grinding, and I don't feel an unusual amount of vibration.
I attributed the shaking to the pulley on the bucket. The blower works well, doesn't throw belts, and the augers don't slow down or stall in heavy snow. I guess it's just me being picky. I just wondered if others noticed the same thing, or this might be inherent to the brand/machine?

post #4 of 5 Old 02-22-2019, 10:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 116
Likes (Given): 89
Likes (Received): 132
Garage
My machine has no vibration at the handles. There is no difference with the engine running at max and impeller/augers stationary or engaged or when blowing snow. The reason I asked about the possible impeller damage is that the other day I had a large chunk of ice going around with the impeller (6 blade) that caused a vibration. I stopped the engine and checked it out immediately, the ice was too large to exit through the chute opening. I pulled it out and the machine was back to its old smooth ways again.

On my old Craftsman the auger support bushings at the end of auger shafts wore out, more on one side than the other, and that caused the unsupported gearbox to move erratically. I think that caused some vibration too.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Cutter thanked for this post
Likes Cutter liked this post
post #5 of 5 Old 02-23-2019, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
My machine has no vibration at the handles. There is no difference with the engine running at max and impeller/augers stationary or engaged or when blowing snow. The reason I asked about the possible impeller damage is that the other day I had a large chunk of ice going around with the impeller (6 blade) that caused a vibration. I stopped the engine and checked it out immediately, the ice was too large to exit through the chute opening. I pulled it out and the machine was back to its old smooth ways again.

On my old Craftsman the auger support bushings at the end of auger shafts wore out, more on one side than the other, and that caused the unsupported gearbox to move erratically. I think that caused some vibration too.

Thinking more about this, I just might pull the augers right out of the bucket,just to see if all is well with the auger bearings, and have a good look at the rakes and impeller, once the weather is a bit more forgiving. We've had a cold snap here in Sask for the last month or so with night temps -43C on average. Thanks for the great advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page