Wheels won't engage (not friction wheel issue) - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-21-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Question Wheels won't engage (not friction wheel issue)

I want to apologize in advance if I misstate something. I'm only kind of dangerous with tools...

I have an old Ariens snow blower that slowly lost drive ability. I suspected it might be the friction wheel, but when the drive plate moves forward, it makes decent contact. The problem is that when the machine is running, the plates won't move forward. It seems like the (I'm not super technical) clutch fork? does not push it forward, even though the lever pulls it fine. I have checked the springs, but they seem to be still tight. The fork has a bolt between its tines which keeps the fork in place but that has a bit of clearance. I am wondering if something came off of that bolt? It is awfully shiny compared to everything else in that area. There is not much room to get to that bolt where the clutch fork sits, I assume I'll have to remove the axle to adjust, but want to know if that is necessary. So, here are my questions:
- Should that bolt be tightened so as to remove any clutch /fork play?
- Did something come off of that shaft?
- Does that drive wheel come off easily? (looks to be a 1" pair of nuts to hold it on) - should I bother?
- Is there something else I am missing?
- What makes that pair of plates move forward to make contact with the friction wheel beside some linkage and springs and the clutch fork?

Yesterday we got 9" of snow and I ended up pushing my blower up and down the hill. It works ok other than the self-propelled wheels.

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-22-2019, 07:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 30
Garage
Post pics. Crystal ball is at repair shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 02-22-2019, 08:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
Stand the blower on the front of the auger housing, remove the bottom cover, turn the wheels see what's moving and what's not; engage the drive by clamping the drive lever, see what is moving and what is not, what is engaging. You have to start slowly and investigate, look around.

Video is good, pics are good, model number is even better.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #4 of 7 Old 02-22-2019, 08:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 317
Likes (Received): 623
The Drive Plate Shaft needs to be lubed. Put Machine in service position, and remove cover. Spray PB Blaster on Drive plate shaft and work the Plate Back and forth using a large screwdriver or pry bar until it loosens up.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-22-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the responses. I will try to post pics/vids after work today. The drive plate shaft is mobile. I put some WD40 on it and it moves freely- which is why I don't know why it won't engage regularly.

Not sure what PB Blaster is, but I'll check Amazon.

Thanks for your help.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-23-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ariens 924026
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1550944741058.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	154019  
post #7 of 7 Old 02-23-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I figured out that the weld broke on the clutch fork. Not sure if I should buy a new part, or try to get this thing re-welded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page