post #1 of 8 Old 02-24-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Garage
924 Clutch Handle Conversion

Has anyone converted a mid 70’s 924 series right hand ‘pull up’ clutch safety handle to a ‘push down’ handle set-up...similar to the 80’s handles configuration? Just curious if anyone has tried and how successful they were. After 2+ hours of SB today I can see why Ariens and other manufacturers went to the push down approach. I run a 924024 832...and after doing my drive and a few neighbors my right hand cramps up something awful.

Thanks,
Stone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-24-2019, 04:25 PM
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 33
Yeah I bought John Deer Push down handle for my signature machine. I routed a newer cable from a different machine, and made a hole in the pull arm from the other side of the machine so it would pull when I pushed the handle down. I also had to make a bracket on the top end to support the new handle. I used the existing spring to to pull the idle pulley in to tighten the belt, and a much lighter spring to keep the idle pulley off the belt when it's supposed to be slack. So I went from a suicide clutch to a dead man clutch, ether way I am dead. Sorry I don't have pictures.
Sid

'66 Sears/Murray 26"
'71 Jakobson 17 SnowBlitz
post #3 of 8 Old 02-24-2019, 05:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 573
How about swapping the handles from an ST 824...get rid of the twin stick all together....
post #4 of 8 Old 02-25-2019, 09:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 217
Garage
I'm betting you'll need to have the lever, clutch rod, swivel joint, and I'm assuming there'll be a plastic mounting block too - to do it up right.

On my 22,000 series handlebars swap (922002 handlebars onto a 922008 frame), I tried using the '002 pull style right hander and it didn't work even though the handlebars and frame are darn near exactly the same. I had to swap over the '008 lever assemblies complete. The '002 bars did not have the pre-drilled block mounting holes on the left side handlebar, nor was there an "indentation" on the left where the lever mounting block screws passed through from the top.

I was able to make it work, but I had to use the mounting block holes as guides to drill new holes to mount the lever block.

I'm betting it can be done, but if you have a complete machine the way you want it to operate as a guide, it'd make knowing what needs to be done a lot easier. I know the cramping feel...my '002 does it to me also. I could probably lighten up on my friction disc adjustment to relax the tension I set it up for (for maximum disc grip to the drive plate) - my fear is I may have some slippage as a result.

That's "fine tuning" of The Badger I have scheduled for this week.

1974 Ariens 922008/922003 "Frankenstein", my dad's 1st new snowblower
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "The Badger", recent addition, ready for snow
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "Juneau", finally ready for snow
1971 Ariens 910962/910995 "Bill", SOLD 3/7/2019
post #5 of 8 Old 02-25-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Good to see that others have accomplished this task. I think I have everything in inventory except the plastic mounting block tls...and that is the part I can probably manufacture myself. At least I have some food for thought as this will be placed on my to do list over the summer

Thanks,
Stone
post #6 of 8 Old 02-26-2019, 11:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHVLHEAD View Post
Has anyone converted a mid 70’s 924 series right hand ‘pull up’ clutch safety handle to a ‘push down’ handle set-up...similar to the 80’s handles configuration? Just curious if anyone has tried and how successful they were. After 2+ hours of SB today I can see why Ariens and other manufacturers went to the push down approach. I run a 924024 832...and after doing my drive and a few neighbors my right hand cramps up something awful.
I sell lots of the 924 series, on most all of them I tape the lever up or the safety lever wiring has been disconnected altogether.
Ya,It is not correct but thats what most people do.

Ariens 924116 10 hp 28”
Ariens 924024 8 hp 32” now a 10 hp
Ariens 910008 7 hp 24”
post #7 of 8 Old 02-27-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
That solution did cross my mind Ian...the taping, not the disconnect. I even thought about using my daughter's ponytail holder to hold it in the up position, just roll it off the lever when needed. This would also maintain the 'original' integrity of the machine as well, of which I am a big proponent of.

Doesnt disabling a safety feature of the machine and selling it put you at risk should something happen in the future? I remember working for a hardware store (early 80's) about the time when safety clutches came out on lawn mowers. A customer asked that the safety clutch lever be taped down so the mower wouldnt turn off and the owner of the hardware store explained we couldnt do that for liability purposes. Reading your reply reminded of that conversation...

Thanks,
Stone
post #8 of 8 Old 02-27-2019, 10:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHVLHEAD View Post
That solution did cross my mind Ian...the taping, not the disconnect. I even thought about using my daughter's ponytail holder to hold it in the up position, just roll it off the lever when needed. This would also maintain the 'original' integrity of the machine as well, of which I am a big proponent of.

Doesnt disabling a safety feature of the machine and selling it put you at risk should something happen in the future? I remember working for a hardware store (early 80's) about the time when safety clutches came out on lawn mowers. A customer asked that the safety clutch lever be taped down so the mower wouldnt turn off and the owner of the hardware store explained we couldnt do that for liability purposes. Reading your reply reminded of that conversation...
Stone, I show the purchaser the snowblower,explain the safety lever and its purpose,if the guy wants to keep the tape or tape it himself,it’s up to him.If the engine has been replaced most times the safety is disabled.
I am just selling a snowblower not sure I hold any liability selling a used 30 year old snowblower.
Everything worked when I sold it .

Ariens 924116 10 hp 28”
Ariens 924024 8 hp 32” now a 10 hp
Ariens 910008 7 hp 24”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page