LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 02-24-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 1024 SNAFU- Now what?

To make a long story short we had a break in the weather so I installed my new carb. Didn't realize it but when installed the carb was at WOT. So, I shut it down took the cover off and was dumbfounded. I stepped away for a call and my good friend who we'll call "Drinkin Buddy" decided to bend the governor linkage until the carb was at the idle setting and mangled it beyond recognition. Squeezed the loop with a pair of pliers etc. Am I screwed? Do I need to replace the linkage? Why was it at WOT to begin with? Thought this would be a simple swap. I tried to return it to it's regular shape as best I could and she's back to WOT. I'm lost.

The machine is an Ariens 1024 Pro Model#924117 Serial#002256
Engine is a Tecumseh.. Engine Model Type OHSK100 221608C (H)
Family ITPXS 3182AF
DISP 318

Last edited by Bloodhound1941; 02-24-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-24-2019, 05:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 29
Are you sure that the throttle linkage under the carb isn't jammed? Does the linkage connection on top of the old carburetor look the same?
I think when it's not running it is usually at wot.

Last edited by strtch5881; 02-24-2019 at 05:53 PM.
post #3 of 32 Old 02-24-2019, 05:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 90
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 167
Is it possible you have a non adjustable replacement carburetor??
post #4 of 32 Old 02-24-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The carb is identical to the old one and the throttle isn't stuck. I removed it and even compared the strength of the throttle return springs on both carbs and they are exactly the same. It's as if the governor moved somehow when I disconnected the linkage from the carb. The carb appears to be non adjustable with the exception of the throttle speed set screw. I'm stumped on this one.

It ran at WOT and wouldn't throttle down. As for whether or no the carb is at WOT when not running I don't know.

Last edited by Bloodhound1941; 02-24-2019 at 06:04 PM.
post #5 of 32 Old 02-24-2019, 06:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 634
Yikes Several years ago I was fiddling with the governor on my 1024 Pro, trying to minimize the RPM sag under a load.

Loosening the governor arm on the shaft that comes out of the engine lets you re-set the governor. If I put that governor arm in the wrong position on the shaft, I got messed up governor behavior. I think one time it would have held the throttle wide open, if I'd started the engine in that condition (I realized my mistake first, fortunately).

I have a few pictures that I took at the time, if they'd be helpful.

Have you used the Technician's OHV handbook's governor adjustment procedure? That would help you start fresh, in case maybe something slid (like the governor arm on the shaft) during the carb changeover.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tecu...25-695244A.pdf

The procedure should walk you through it. I found it helpful to watch which direction the governor arm moves as the engine speeds up or slows down. That, plus watching how it moves the throttle plate, was helpful to me.

Since you're replacing the carb (I was just working with the original one), it'd be worth double-checking that the movement is correct. As the engine speeds up, the governor arm should move the throttle plate in the direction that closes the throttle.

Is the governor linkage moving smoothly? If some spring tension is way off, that might mess with how it behaves. The whole thing is kind of a delicate balancing act.

You may need to start the engine with the electric starter, while keeping a hand on the throttle linkage. So you can watch it run, while minimizing the risk of over-speeding.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 02-24-2019 at 06:07 PM.
post #6 of 32 Old 02-24-2019, 06:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 163
Thanks (Received): 297
Likes (Given): 392
Likes (Received): 974
I know it's too late now but ALWAYS take a couple pics just to make sure of things being in their proper position, like the governor linkage is back in the same hole etc.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes bumper, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #7 of 32 Old 02-24-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
There's only one hole on the carb for the linkage to go in and I made sure to look at it prior to removing the old carb. The linkage is moving freely. Just read the manual RedOctobyr. It says

"With the engine stopped, loosen the screw holding the governor lever to the governor shaft clamp. Push the governor lever to move the carburetor throttle plate to the wide open position. Rotate the governor clamp counterclockwise on all overhead valve engines covered in this manual. Hold the lever and clamp in this position while tightening the screw."

If I'm reading this right then it's adjusted properly as it's keeping at at WOT with the engine stopped. Still doesn't explain why it won't throttle down. When it starts it runs at high rpm and throttles the carb down with no response. There is no response from the throttle lever at all. I'm afraid it's going to blow the motor at such high RPM. Somethings amiss and I don't have the experience to find the problem(s).

I didn't remove the linkage from the governor lever or anywhere else. Just the carb and there's only one hole on the throttle lever like I said. Dumbfounded at this point.

Last edited by Bloodhound1941; 02-24-2019 at 06:25 PM.
post #8 of 32 Old 02-24-2019, 06:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 29
Is it possible that your drinkin buddy moved the governor arm? Even though there is a screw to keep it tight, it can slip with enough pressure.
post #9 of 32 Old 02-24-2019, 06:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 187
Garage
With the engine not running the governor is supposed to keep the throttle wide open, as that is the job of the governor to keep the engine at a certain RPM. With the engine not running the governor is opening the throttle to bring it up to operating RPMs, when the engine is running the centrifical force of the flyweight inside the engine connected to the governor is what pushes back on the throttle closing it to keep engine at an even RPM. I know that sounds confusing, and maybe I'm not stating it correctly but basically it sounds like if you followed the manual for setting the governor in a non-running state it is set correctly, it is just that the governor is not pushing back on the throttle when it is at full RPMs..... something is binding or bent, or possibly coincidentally the governor inside the engine somehow became damaged.

I'm sure more experienced members will chime in here, but I believe what I have said is correct. hopefully we can get to the bottom of your issue and get you back up and running.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower 16HP
~~ And Lastly ~~
Ariens 32" 924??? Double auger & impeller 14HP v-twin BEAST !!!
Plans are being drafted, parts are accumulating in the pile......
post #10 of 32 Old 02-24-2019, 06:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 218
Is the throttle working correctly? Does the linkage move when you play with the throttle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page