LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 10
Impeller shaft axial play

Hi, I have a 2013 Ariens Pro 32 (926039). I recently noticed I have a bit of in/out (axial) play (towards and away from gearbox) of the impeller shaft and impeller. Maybe 1/8" or so. I have no radial play in the impeller bearing itself, just axial.

The whole shaft assembly (impeller, shaft and pulley) moves as one. It seems to slide in/out of the gearbox.

Plan on taking things apart once it gets a bit warmer and see if I see anything wrong. I can't recall if it did it before or not. Any ideas?

thanks.

- 2013 Ariens Pro 32 (926039)
- 2014 Ariens Path-Pro (938031)
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Backpack Leaf Blower (for the real small snow events)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2019, 03:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 329
Not a Ariens, but had something similar on a Craftsman. On that one there's a bronze bushing on the impeller shaft that was worn out. Once replaced, the in-out issues were resolved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Impeller_Repair.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	154151  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks JRHAWK9 thanked for this post
Old 02-25-2019, 06:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 116
Likes (Given): 89
Likes (Received): 131
Garage
My machine does the same thing from new. It had an impeller shaft oil leak after 2 years and the dealer replaced all the seals in the gearbox and it still had the slight movement of the impeller shaft in and out of the gearbox. I think that is probably normal for a late model Ariens. My machine gets used a lot and the play has not changed in 5 seasons.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks JRHAWK9 thanked for this post
Old 02-25-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
My machine does the same thing from new. It had an impeller shaft oil leak after 2 years and the dealer replaced all the seals in the gearbox and it still had the slight movement of the impeller shaft in and out of the gearbox. I think that is probably normal for a late model Ariens. My machine gets used a lot and the play has not changed in 5 seasons.
This is what I was thinking, but didn't know for sure. I thought I'd ask before I started pulling it apart chasing a problem which may not even exist.

- 2013 Ariens Pro 32 (926039)
- 2014 Ariens Path-Pro (938031)
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Backpack Leaf Blower (for the real small snow events)
Old 02-26-2019, 06:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 52
Garage
At the very least make sure you have the correct oil in the diff. If you have oil then I wouldn't worry. Just monitor it to see if it gets worse. I had a bronze gear fail on another off name machine. It was so bad the pulley would loose tension. I sold the machine cheap with the info that it needed a repair.
Ariens claims the gear box is warrantied for 5 years or something. If true, your machine is fairly new yet. It should be fine.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in