LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-28-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Autoturn difficulties

I have a 10-12 year old Ariens classic 8526 snowblower model 926013. It came with a trigger on left handle for engaging positraction. Well that axle and differential gear failed so the Ariens dealer suggested that machine was eligible to be retrofitted to latest autoturn axle and differential gear P/N 72600900 if I remember correctly. So I purchased the retrofit kit and installed it last fall. All went very smoothly. Well we just got our first snowfall enough to try this out and I am extremely disappointed at how difficult it is to keep this machine moving forward. It pulls to the left so violently that itís almost not usable.

I have been working on my own blowers as well as neighbors for 20 years (mostly John Deere).

These are are the steps I have taken so far:

Installed new retrofit axle and differential gear complete with new bushings and bearings everywhere needed.
Replaced all auger and impeller bearings while blower was off machine..
Squared the blower box on a concrete floor to the frame of the machine after inflating tires to 15psi.
Installed new belts
Installed new skids. Adjusted so scraper is 1/4 off concrete floor.

Canít think of anything I missed in this retrofit project.

I searched the forum but didnít find anybody else that has similar problems with the pulling to the left.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

This machine is solid. Always stored indoors. No rust. Engine purrs like a kitten at 3600 rpmís. Been very well maintained..

Thanks for any help at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-28-2019, 11:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
A common suggestion is to use the Ariens plastic skids, or sometimes the long ArmorSkids. Either should help it ride more smoothly over things on the surface that the skids could catch on.

What is your driveway surface? Gravel, or uneven pavement (or icy chunks) will be more likely to have this issue.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #3 of 6 Old 02-28-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Thanks for quick response. My driveway is smooth asphalt. The problem is worse when I head uphill. The driveway is relatively steep with big flat spot at bottom. The pulling to left is not so severe on flat part as it is when going uphill. I will try the plastic skid idea.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-02-2019, 09:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 42
I responded last night, for some reason it's gone or didn't get posted.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the left skid is lower than the right skid. It could cause the machine to 'drag' on that side causing the steering system to react as if you were making a left turn.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-02-2019, 11:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 107
Likes (Received): 252
I put the same kit on my 1027LE and made roller skids and tracks very well now, I made mine but I know they sell similar too that work well.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-02-2019, 12:13 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I responded last night, for some reason it's gone or didn't get posted.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the left skid is lower than the right skid. It could cause the machine to 'drag' on that side causing the steering system to react as if you were making a left turn.
Check tire pressures as well. I had an old solid axle machine that a low tire would make pull to one side pretty hard - likely it would be amplified a lot by auto turn. (Having said that, my auto turn machine seems to track perfectly on hills, slopes, whatever . . . never had it off blacktop, though . . .).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page