post #1 of 10 Old 03-01-2019, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Issue with barely used 24 deluxe.

Hi Everybody,
I have a 24 deluxe that is new this year. I have used it 5 times and the last time when I started it it seemed to be bogging down, engine sounded like it was laboring, snow not going very far, like it had no oomph. Also headlight was flickering (not sure if they are related. Ive never had a snowblower before. I checked the oil - up to the level it should be. Fuel - full. Auger and impeller spinning seemed normal (although if it wasn't throwing far the impeller couldn't be function normally, I guess.) Snow was 6 inches light and fluffy. Also is Ariens easy to reach to find a warranty repair shop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-01-2019, 07:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 217
Garage
How old is the gasoline being used?

1974 Ariens 922008/922003 "Frankenstein", my dad's 1st new snowblower
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "The Badger", recent addition, ready for snow
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "Juneau", finally ready for snow
1971 Ariens 910962/910995 "Bill", SOLD 3/7/2019
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ian Ariens 924 liked this post
post #3 of 10 Old 03-01-2019, 08:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 573
I'll only warrenty a piece of power equipment until the customer adds gas......
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes JLawrence08648, Rooskie liked this post
post #4 of 10 Old 03-01-2019, 08:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 217
Before bringing it back to dealer where you bought it from check the following.

Check:
How old is gas
Fuel valve open
Throttle is on high
Choke is fully off after restarting

After that if mechanically inclined:

Check governor is operating smoothly
Check bowl, needle, etc
Check valves
post #5 of 10 Old 03-01-2019, 10:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 158
Red face snow blower issues

Hello Mike,

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the new snow mule.

Please fill in the rest of your information as we may have a SBF member nearby that can help you.

Did you purchase your snow mule via the internet? An Ariens dealer should be easy to find near you to obtain service.

We need to know:
1. if you assembled it yourself or if it came ready to operate.
2. Was the throttle wide open/High Idle/full throttle when you were clearing snow?
3. how fast your were traveling in forward speed when clearing the snow pack?

If you have some time I would like you to do a couple of things first.

Purchase some alcohol to treat your gas to get rid of the water as it is in the bottom of the fuel tank and your gas can and some seafoam for fuel treatment.

Pull the plug wire boot off the spark plug and check The V belts and if they look glazed or they shed rubber into the palm of your hand they need to be replaced.

Keep the plug wire off and try to turn the cross auger which will also rotate the impeller to see if you have sheared key or bolt which will affect the snow mules performance.

If you have some alcohol for treating the gasoline pour a little in the snow blower fuel tank along with a little fuel stabilizer like SeaFoam(which I use) and run the engine until the tank is empty and refill the engine with fuel, a splash of alcohol and an ounce of seafoam-pour a tiny bit in the tank and start the engine and run it again until its empty.

Its always best to use premium fuel or premium fuel with no ethanol in it in small engines.

================================================== ==============================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesmith View Post
Hi Everybody,
I have a 24 deluxe that is new this year. I have used it 5 times and the last time when I started it it seemed to be bogging down, engine sounded like it was laboring, snow not going very far, like it had no oomph. Also headlight was flickering (not sure if they are related. Ive never had a snowblower before. I checked the oil - up to the level it should be. Fuel - full. Auger and impeller spinning seemed normal (although if it wasn't throwing far the impeller couldn't be function normally, I guess.) Snow was 6 inches light and fluffy. Also is Ariens easy to reach to find a warranty repair shop?
post #6 of 10 Old 03-01-2019, 11:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 112
I would suggest that you pull your key and plug wire if possible then look inside the blower housing and pay a lot of attention to the area around the impeller/ fan to see if you have ice built up not only the circumference of the impeller but in back of it as well. Also for any foreign material , sticks, small rocks, even ice encrusted road sand/salt.
If you are where you have some decent sun just parking it in the sun for a while can loosen things up (ice) to be easier removed. Hot water can also be used if no sun or no heater.

If you find that you do indeed have obstruction once removed check the adjustments on you belts as they have probably worn in now and need it, and even possibly now need to be replaced.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-01-2019, 12:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 112
Some of the ariens have the choke knob sitting on top of the the throttle knob. I have had customers that when throttling up did not realize that the throttle was froze with the choke knob and during throttle up it would re engage the choke , and as well even not froze because of gloves did it as well.

So you may want to check and make sure the choke is in the open position , when you are running it.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-03-2019, 08:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesmith View Post
Hi Everybody,

Have same model...Do what the others have suggested ..Also my first run was so so, wanted to climb in higher piles, weak throw,,mine was straight from factory. So after I lubed where needed, very important, I checked the auger belts and found they needed to be tightened.. the factory setting is just that...Also discovered the auger brake was dragging slightly on the pulley even when clutch was fully engaged... Had to make some adjustment to the brake bar...Now I used it yesterday and a big difference.. Hoping to use on a foot or more for a real test...
post #9 of 10 Old 03-03-2019, 12:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 68
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 97
Likes (Received): 110
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottstodo View Post
Some of the ariens have the choke knob sitting on top of the the throttle knob. I have had customers that when throttling up did not realize that the throttle was froze with the choke knob and during throttle up it would re engage the choke , and as well even not froze because of gloves did it as well.

So you may want to check and make sure the choke is in the open position , when you are running it.

Good Answer. When the choke is set properly, the engine speed almost doubles, or so it sounds like.

Life is short, so if you don't have the strength to laugh at yourself,
call me.....I'll laugh at you!
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 with 291 CC Engine
2011 John Deere JS36 Self Propelled Mower
Too many Craftsman Mechanic/Yard tools to mention
post #10 of 10 Old 03-03-2019, 12:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 68
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 97
Likes (Received): 110
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlshawks View Post
How old is the gasoline being used?

Certainly a good point. If your not using stabilizer, and it's old, get rid of it ( properly) , and try new gas. Untreated gas is only good for 5 to 6 months....so they say. I make sure mine is fresh always.

Life is short, so if you don't have the strength to laugh at yourself,
call me.....I'll laugh at you!
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 with 291 CC Engine
2011 John Deere JS36 Self Propelled Mower
Too many Craftsman Mechanic/Yard tools to mention
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page