LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 03-09-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 7
Platinum 24" SHO EFI problem?

Great topic for my 1st post...I just bought an Ariens 24 SHO EFI that Snow Blowers Direct had as a scratch & dent discount (last one)...It was delivered yesterday...The packaging of the machine on 2 pallets was trashed & missing one of the handlebar bolts, washer, & locknut. This was not a huge deal as I contacted them immediately. It ran well enough to load up into my pickup & bring home from my work where it was delivered...Today I went out for a test run...Not good.

Here is my issue:
It seems like not a big difference when dialing between IDLE-EFFICIENCY-POWER except seems to run rougher on POWER...definitely NOT revving up as it should...The manuals that came with the machine had no troubleshooting code diagnostics BUT I did find online the code shown is a Code 22...2 blink pause 2 blink red code that shows to be Engine Temperature Sensor Failure.

I regret NOT buying one from my local dealer but I would have had to wait until next season (they did not have this higher powered model in a 24" w\ EFI @ the end of our record 56" February snow)...and now I'm faced with bringing it in to them as I have NO IDEA HOW THE ONLINE DEALER CAN HELP ME.

Anyone have any positive warranty experience with Snow Blowers Direct? What should I expect them to do for me?

Dave

Last edited by DWB1957; 03-09-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 03-09-2019, 06:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 90
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 165
Some folks have had good luck some have not. If your having this much trouble already it may have gotten to the point where you need to ask for a new one with the problems you already have.

I would ask to have them for a refund and send the old one back they have done that previously from what I remember of it.

You should call them on Monday morning and tell them what condition the pallets were in when you accepted the freight load.

I have no idea how long it would take to get your snow mule back from the dealer as many of the dealers frown on helping a home owner that did not buy it from.
Some of the dealers do not have the equipment to perform a computer search for problems to perform an analysis of the computers on the new machines.

If it was damaged in shipment you should have not accepted it and they would have to send you one that was undamaged.

I guess the Samsonite gorillas have graduated from suitcases to snow blowers.

Sorry to see that you have all this trouble. When you call you should ask for a refund of your money and arrange to have the snow blower sent back as it was obviously damaged in shipment.

Your snow mule may be put at the end of the line to be fixed as this has happened before when a snow mule was purchased somewhere other than the local dealer.
We have seen this with the plugging chute issues for the new Hondas as it takes a complaint to honda and the dealer to obtain a replacement chute and spout and some of the owners have to wait 6+ weeks to have the work done for simple chute replacement as the new chutes have to be ordered and then the work needs to be scheduled to do the repair of replacing the old chute.

I know this is of no help to you but until you call snow blowers direct or call the local dealer to see if it can be looked at soon your stuck.

Any freight that has exposed damage is always suspect as the damage may have affected the onboard computer on the snow blower.

If your close to the Canadian border checking with a Yamaha dealer over the border may be a better option as the 824's and 1028's have no computer to mess things up.

Last edited by leonz; 03-09-2019 at 07:13 PM. Reason: stuff etc.
post #3 of 50 Old 03-09-2019, 07:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 634
Sorry to hear about the trouble. Maybe they could get you a new sensor, though I wouldn't count on it. If Ariens pays for warranty work, I don't really understand why it matters if you didn't buy from the dealer you call. But regardless, that seems to be the way things work.

I would definitely spend a few minutes tracing out wires from the ECU box to the engine. Ideally, identify the temperature sensor, and check for any loose/damaged connections. Maybe you get lucky, and a plug jiggled loose.

leonz, as it was a scratch & dent discounted machine, that may impact swapping to a new machine, etc. Heck, maybe they knew how it would arrive, maybe that was the scratch & dent before it even went on the truck, I have no idea.

I would certainly talk to SBD. But might start also asking your local dealer what they could do for you, in case SBD's answer isn't ideal.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #4 of 50 Old 03-09-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Sorry to hear about the trouble. Maybe they could get you a new sensor, though I wouldn't count on it. If Ariens pays for warranty work, I don't really understand why it matters if you didn't buy from the dealer you call. But regardless, that seems to be the way things work.

I would definitely spend a few minutes tracing out wires from the ECU box to the engine. Ideally, identify the temperature sensor, and check for any loose/damaged connections. Maybe you get lucky, and a plug jiggled loose.

leonz, as it was a scratch & dent discounted machine, that may impact swapping to a new machine, etc. Heck, maybe they knew how it would arrive, maybe that was the scratch & dent before it even went on the truck, I have no idea.

I would certainly talk to SBD. But might start also asking your local dealer what they could do for you, in case SBD's answer isn't ideal.

So stumbling across the Service Manual online I noticed a non-code section in troubleshooting the EFI where the symptoms of no rpm change with potentiometer (throttle) turning, to ohm out the potentiometer for functionality...preparing for that I then noticed that although the potentiometer #3 (red) wire was in the correct spot...the potentiometer 2 (green/white) & 1 (black/white) were inserted reversely @ the 14 pin ECU connector...So I felt brave enough to reverse the 2 wires...Tah-Dah! Runs like a raped ape...though with a slight back-fire when turning down to idle...I'll continue the thorough check-out tomorrow...I'm whipped. My advice: BUY LOCAL!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks RedOctobyr thanked for this post
Likes RedOctobyr, gibbs296, scrappy, tpenfield liked this post
post #5 of 50 Old 03-09-2019, 11:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 262
YAHOO!!!! Glad you got her running.. better...
post #6 of 50 Old 03-09-2019, 11:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Received): 74
A slight afterfire is normal on a lot of engines when dropping revs quickly at closed throttle. Easy to end up with a little bit of unburned fuel thrown into the exhaust and it then lights off in there with a bang.
post #7 of 50 Old 03-10-2019, 09:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 8
May be buy a scratch and dent and First year EFI snowblower local. But I personally Put my Carbed Platinum together and have no problems.I would never even think about Buying that EFI online or from a Dealer until the bugs get worked out .
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes russ01915 liked this post
post #8 of 50 Old 03-10-2019, 09:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 294
Solid diagnosis. I’m surprised to hear about wires in the wrong cavity. Nice job catching it.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Likes DWB1957 liked this post
post #9 of 50 Old 03-10-2019, 11:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 10
Congrats on finding the fix. Did you have to solder the wires or do they clip in?

Was there a good discount because of the dent or scratch?

You should post pics of your new machine.
post #10 of 50 Old 03-10-2019, 11:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 91
Good find on the reversed wires!!!
Likes DWB1957 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page