Thoughts on my end-of-season storage procedure? Pro 32. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 03-10-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 27
Question Thoughts on my end-of-season storage procedure? Pro 32.

Yep, it's pretty much end of snow blowing season for me. So I want to make sure I take good care of my recently purchased Pro 32. This was an expensive purchase for me and I hope to keep it in great running condition for years and years. So after much reading and research on the matter, this is what I plan to do:

*Fill tank with 91 octane corn-free fuel and treat with Star Tron (as I do with every tank of fuel anyway.)
*Run engine for a few minutes to distribute treated fuel throughout system.
*Turn off engine
*Turn fuel valve to "off" position
*Top off fuel tank to very top
*Done

I tend to agree with the train of thought that says having fuel in the system is better than trying to run it dry. You'll never truly get it completely drained of all fuel anyway. By having treated fuel in the system hopefully it will prevent seals from drying/rotting etc. And having a steel gas tank, it will also prevent rust from forming. Any one else following this protocol successfully or did you have issues?

Ariens Pro 32 Hydro Rapidtrak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-10-2019, 12:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 67
That's pretty much how I store all equipment. Just with one additional step: Before shutting the engine off, I turn the fuel valve off and then spray fogging oil into the intake to stall the engine.

For spring startup, it's pull the spark plug, clean and check gap, pull the engine over with the plug out to get any excess fogging oil out of the cylinder, put the plug back in, fuel valve on and fire it up (complete with some smoke as the fogging oil burns off).
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ColdinMontana thanked for this post
post #3 of 21 Old 03-10-2019, 01:29 PM

Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 119
Thanks (Received): 49
Likes (Given): 938
Likes (Received): 215
Garage
I Try to leave the tank about 1/4 full of non oxy fuel. Shut the fuel off. Start her up until she runs the carb dry. Run her about once a month during the off season. Top off the non oxy about half way through the summer with some fresh stuff. I'm not of fan of not running an engine for a long period of time.

Wake me up when the snow's done...
post #4 of 21 Old 03-10-2019, 01:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
There really is no point in turning off the fuel shut off if you turn off the engine first. Do as Gibbsie suggested. Turn shut off off, then run engine till dry. No need to keep fuel in the tank.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-10-2019, 03:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 293
I personally keep my HSS stored with a full tank of stabilized non-ethanol gas. I shut the fuel valve and drain the bowl using the tool-less screw on the bottom of the bowl. I tend to move my machine around during the off season once or twice, so Iíd rather keep fuel in the tank. Itís easy enough to simply drain the bowl again.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-10-2019, 05:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
There really is no point in turning off the fuel shut off if you turn off the engine first.
Not the case at all. Turning the fuel valve off ensures that a leak past the carb float valve won't flood the engine with the entire contents of the fuel tank while it's sitting. Anything gravity fed should have the fuel valve turned off after every shutdown for this reason.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes grounded-b liked this post
post #7 of 21 Old 03-10-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Not the case at all. Turning the fuel valve off ensures that a leak past the carb float valve won't flood the engine with the entire contents of the fuel tank while it's sitting. Anything gravity fed should have the fuel valve turned off after every shutdown for this reason.
Thatís exactly my thinking too.

How likely are these Briggs steel fuel tanks to rust if left empty say for 8-9 months? That would be my main concern with siphoning it dry.

Ariens Pro 32 Hydro Rapidtrak
post #8 of 21 Old 03-10-2019, 09:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 127
Aside from doing all the normal end-of-season maintenance I drain the fuel tank, run the engine until it quits, then drain the carburetor bowl and anything left in the fuel lines. The issue here is that some years we don't get any snow at all, or just enough to sweep away with a broom. So it is not uncommon for a snowblower to sit for two or even three years without running it. Even the best fuel preservative is not going to work for that long and I'd end up with a tank, fuel lines and carburetor full of insoluble gunk.

No thank you. And I've never had an issue with rust in the tanks from condensation. Still, this year I'm going to do something different and store the snow blower inside with the generator in the unfinished part of the temperature and humidity controlled basement. I might even spring for the cover for it. Wouldn't want it to get all dusty in the off-season, y'know?
post #9 of 21 Old 03-10-2019, 11:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 16
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdinMontana View Post
Thatís exactly my thinking too.

How likely are these Briggs steel fuel tanks to rust if left empty say for 8-9 months? That would be my main concern with siphoning it dry.
I've heard of folks fogging their metal tanks inside with oil, though I cannot say I have done it myself.

Adam
Flathead Valley, MT

1980 Ariens ST824
1990s Toro CCR1000
post #10 of 21 Old 03-10-2019, 11:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
Again, there is no point in shutting off the fuel shut off valve if you shut off the engine FIRST. So- turn off the fuel shut off FIRST- WHILE the engine is running- let the engine burn thru the fuel that is left in the line, then when it dies, you can pull off the carb bowl (or press the little drain button on there if it has one) if you would like to drain out the remaining fuel. I don't usually drain the carb bowl because it is treated gasoline (Stabil-360 mixed with some seafoam for end of season cleaning)

As for that leaking past the carb/gravity fed crap- if it is getting past the carb, you've got a float problem and you want to know about it and get it fixed soon.

Last edited by GoBlowSnow; 03-10-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page