LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 03-10-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens ST824 older model no spark

Hello all! I’m a retired elevator tech so I figured when I told my buddy to bring his snowblower that’s been sitting out in the weather for a couple years, I would fix it. I mean how hard can it be? It’s the 8 hp model with a tecumseh engine.

The fuel lines were rotten so I replaced them. I also sprayed carb clean through the carburetor. I bought a new one but haven’t installed it yet. I checked for spark and there was none, so I replaced the spark plug. Still no spark. I tested it by taking the plug out and touching it to frame ground. Nothing. So I bought a spark plug tester with a light in it. Nothing.

Next I took the pull start housing off, and the gear so I could get to the points and coil and condenser. I also replaced the key switch because it had no continuity when off. I checked the circuits with my ohm meter and everything was grounded, so I took the points, condenser and coil assembly off and checked the coil. It only had .7 ohms through it so I thought that was a problem. The new one I bought has the same ohms.

I installed the new points, condenser, and coil, and tested for spark again. No spark. I tested the points circuit that removes the circuit from ground when it opens the contact, but that.7 ohms across the coil seems to keep ground. So I am asking if anyone can tell me if that .7 ohms across the two coil leads is correct. I’m pretty sure I have it wired right, but I would appreciate some direction.

Much Thanks!

Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page