Frustrated Ariens st824 snowblower owner - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-14-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Frustrated Ariens st824 snowblower owner

Hello.
I have an 824 blower and the extension spring broke. All I want to do is replace it but Nooooo.
I separated the auger. Now I still cant get to it the spring. I know it hooks to the blower frame by the right wheel.
I figured I would take the main engine pulley off. I got the big nut off. How does that pulley come off? Can anyone advise?
I cant find one single video or info on the internet. This is the pulley in pic. nevermind. Why can't i just upload a pic???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-14-2019, 05:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 573
If that is a 924 series ST824, you can easily remove the pulleys with the three bots that connect it to the hub on the auger shaft....if it is a newer series machine, I use a "pickle fork" aka ball joint fork....Harbor Freight carries them for $10. Sometimes you have to shim the fork with scrap steel to get it close enough to the pulley hub.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-14-2019, 05:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 139
Do you know how to "drag and drop" a file from your computer to a web browser?

Frustrated Ariens st824 snowblower owner-look.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-14-2019, 07:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 51
Thanks (Received): 60
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 91
Are talking about the engine pulley/Sheave or the Auger drive pulley?
post #5 of 10 Old 03-14-2019, 08:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 319
Likes (Received): 629
Use a Torch to heat it, and it should come off. They used Locktite on that big Nut, probably some got between the shaft and the pulley.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-15-2019, 10:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
The 3" spring that puts tension on the drive belt can be replaced by putting a small hook on the end of a 1/4" dowel to loop it onto the pulley shaft and grabbing the other end of the spring with pliers,to hook it onto the snowblower frame.I had to drill a 1/4" hole in the frame near the right tire to grab the spring with my needle nose pliars.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-15-2019, 11:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Received): 33
After you remove the nut on the tractor’s drive pulley, flip the lock nut over and screw it back on a couple threads, put a pry bar or large screwdriver behind the pulley to hold it in place and tap on the center bolt with a rubber/nylon hammer with increasing force. It’s a friction fit and will pop off.

Don’t loose the woodruff key.

Ariens ST1032 924084 (ST1232)
MODS: Tecumseh OHSK120 12hp, 3" Pulley, 6 Blade Impeller Kit, Hand Warmers w/ on-off switch, 1700 Lumen LED bulb,Front Weight Bar 18.5lbs, Chute Clean Out Tool, Tire Chains, Drift Cutters, Armorskids
post #8 of 10 Old 03-17-2019, 08:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 5
Here are the four methods I have used in order of ease of pulley removal:

1) oxy acetylene torch
2) Slide hammer puller with penetrating oil
3) Regular gear puller with penetrating oil
4) Pickle fork

The torch is fast, if you have one. It also does the least amount of damage. The slide hammer doesn't require a balancing act like the gear puller. I have broken a pulley using a puller, it was just rust welded to the shaft and wouldn't budge.

I have replaced the spring without removing the pulley by using needle nose vice grips to hold the end and pulling while pushing the end in with a screwdriver. It's not easy, but it can be done.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-17-2019, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanz View Post
Here are the four methods I have used in order of ease of pulley removal:

1) oxy acetylene torch
2) Slide hammer puller with penetrating oil
3) Regular gear puller with penetrating oil
4) Pickle fork

And then there's 5), put it back together and sell it on craigslist !!

It's just a matter of time and patience. If you're looking out your window at a foot of snow patience isn't going to work and it's time for a torch. Propane is good, MAPP is better and they both use the same head. Oxy acetylene if you have it is best but it's not really a typical homeowner tool. What ever you use, heat it up some and then take the heat away as it's starting to cool down give it a few shots of a good penetrating fluid like PB Blaster, liquid wrench or the trans fluid acetone mix and the cooling action of the two metals will suck the fluid deeper into the joint.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #10 of 10 Old 03-19-2019, 10:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 9
Joe, If you are still looking here for help I remember having a problem finding out where a spring attached on one of mine. I finally drilled a hole, put a stout wire on the spring and pulled the spring to make things work. Secured it somehow. I eventually got another machine and saw what I needed to do to make it proper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page