LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-29-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
autoturn and tracks

I have a 3 yo 28" Deluxe and really hate the autoturn. It beats me up, especially my wrists and thumbs.

I'm about to buy a Craftsman again - my previous one last 22 years and did a great job.

But before I do that I was wondering - my Ariens has tires. If I add the Ariens track kit (and anything new I get will have tracks) will that calm down the autoturn?

Thank you,
Dan
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dag Johnsen, Rooskie, eyebolt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-29-2019, 07:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 47
Going to craftsman now I think would be a let down for you. An older deluxe with a solid axle or selectable differential would be better.IMO

Noma 10/29
Cub cadet 5/26 conv to 8/26
Toro 724 conv to 10/24
Husqvarna st230p
post #3 of 17 Old 03-30-2019, 09:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 188
Likes (Received): 75
Garage
weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by codan View Post
I have a 3 yo 28" Deluxe and really hate the autoturn. It beats me up, especially my wrists and thumbs.

I'm about to buy a Craftsman again - my previous one last 22 years and did a great job.

But before I do that I was wondering - my Ariens has tires. If I add the Ariens track kit (and anything new I get will have tracks) will that calm down the autoturn?

Thank you,
Dan

How come nobody answers? Must be a ton of people her who knows the answer. I have been wondering myself about the function of Autoturn With Rapidtrack. Most of the things I have read are negative. But most people have wheeled machines.

2011 Simplicity P1728EX Signature Pro 342cc 11hp (at my house)
2014 Yamaha YT1070 (YT1028) 296cc 9.5 hp (at the cabin)
post #4 of 17 Old 03-30-2019, 10:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 95
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 92
AutoTurn works great with the plastic skid shoes from Ariens because they have almost no friction. The Ariens steel skid shoes have a lot of friction and don't work as well with AutoTurn. It is recommended that the bucket be aligned correctly for best AutoTurn performance; the procedure is in the sticky at beginning of this forum.

I have never used tracks since wheels perform better in my area. I did look for tracks in 2014 when Ariens used a small drive wheel for track propulsion. With the disc drive system the machine was very slow so my dealer did not recommend that approach. I think the track kit from Ariens incorporates that design flaw. The hydro drive version of the tracked Ariens does not have that slow speed flaw according to my dealer.

A few years ago the Rapidtrack was introduced and according to the few owners documenting here seems to work great. My dealer has many Rapidtrack machines in use and the feedback is very good. These are mainly Pro machines in commercial use. If Ariens has a Rapidtrack kit for wheeled machines (disc drive or hydro drive) then that would be a good option. Versatility of wheels with traction improvement of tracks, and you get bucket loading and transport options that are attractive.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dag Johnsen, eyebolt liked this post
post #5 of 17 Old 03-30-2019, 10:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 344
Likes (Received): 603
Welcome!

I don't get the impression that there are a ton of tracks users. And tracks with AutoTurn is an even smaller segment.

What skids are you using? A lot of people have reported better AutoTurn results after going to the Ariens poly skids. They are supposed to glide more smoothly than the metal skids, reducing the catching that can confuse AutoTurn. There are multiple threads about trying to improve AutoTurn performance, for better or worse (unfortunate that those threads are needed, but good that people have shared their experiences).

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #6 of 17 Old 03-30-2019, 10:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
If Ariens has a Rapidtrack kit for wheeled machines (disc drive or hydro drive) then that would be a good option. Versatility of wheels with traction improvement of tracks, and you get bucket loading and transport options that are attractive.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood, but I thought RapidTrak only provided "neutral" and bucket-held-down positions? I didn't think it could keep the bucket raised for easy clearing of grass, etc. Since it's a wheel at the front end, I didn't think it could hold the bucket up.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #7 of 17 Old 03-30-2019, 10:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 159
I can't reply since my machine tracks one-handed with auto turn, the stock skids, and the scraper flush to the ground (as delivered) . . . . sorry . . . .
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #8 of 17 Old 03-30-2019, 10:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 95
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Forgive me if I've misunderstood, but I thought RapidTrak only provided "neutral" and bucket-held-down positions? I didn't think it could keep the bucket raised for easy clearing of grass, etc. Since it's a wheel at the front end, I didn't think it could hold the bucket up.
In the videos I have watched on the Rapidtrack and the demo my dealer gave me on the Rapidtrack there are 3 positions: dig, neutral and transport. The transport raises the bucket off the ground so you don't have to press down on handlebars with much effort. One of the Rapidtrack owners here wanted a lower raised height than transport so he very neatly made two new notches for the bar. Very innovative for what his needs are. A very informative thread.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #9 of 17 Old 03-30-2019, 11:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 32
My Hydro Pro 28 Rapidtrak works just fines with auto turn. OEM skids. It's by far the easiest in the wheeled position of the track. In the normal track down position it works quite well enough for me. The dig position is harder to turn, but works. In the dig position your're moving really slow to accomplish the dig. ie...scraping up car tracks. I have zero regrets about going with the track option last fall

I know nothing about track conversions from wheeled
Likes Dag Johnsen liked this post
post #10 of 17 Old 03-30-2019, 11:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Can it hold the bucket up on its own, in Transport? Or, as Town was seemingly suggesting, do you need to push down on the handlebars as well, so that the length of the tracks gives you a stable height, keeping the bucket raised in Transport?

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page