LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 5
Auger gearcase shaft length

In the past, Ariens had full length gearcase shaft to support the augers. Now they use gearcase supported with a bracket to the casing with small shaft attached to the augers, The augers now have bushings with plastic inserts at their ends which can't be greased like the old bushings with zerks on augers near them..

Did Ariens made that for cutting costs or the new way to attach the gearcase to the casing is better than it was with full auger shaft length ?
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eyebolt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-13-2019, 12:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 127
Garage
My guess is it's cheaper to manufacture. One good thing is you won't have rusted frozen augers to the shaft from not greasing it properly.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes RedOctobyr liked this post
post #3 of 8 Old 04-13-2019, 02:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 80
Likes (Received): 25
Areins got cheap with everything over the years, as did everyone else. They want them to wear out so they can sell you a new machine every couple of years. Nothing is built to last anymore like it was 30 to 40 years ago.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-13-2019, 05:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 116
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 340
Likes (Received): 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw351 View Post
My guess is it's cheaper to manufacture. One good thing is you won't have rusted frozen augers to the shaft from not greasing it properly.
My thoughts as well, on both points. All things equal, I'd rather have a full-length auger shaft. But at least this way you're less likely to end up with augers rusted in place.

Another cost-related benefit to Ariens is that they can likely produce just a single auger shaft, whether used on a 24", or a 32". Fewer parts to manage, etc.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #5 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 04:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 94
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 86
I would have thought the Ariens 1024 Pro model would be a full length auger drive shaft that did not need a gearbox support.

The Ariens Platinum and down models use the short auger shafts and use a gearbox support to the top center of the bucket to prevent unwanted movement. The Pro models 926xxx use the full length auger drive shaft and do not need the gearbox support. So full length auger shafts are still in use by Ariens. The Pro models use a larger diameter auger for more snow throughput and the gearbox support would not help that and may get in the way since Ariens use a very wide and complex support structure.

I think most machines use the short auger shafts, like Honda and Murray and Simplicity and Snapper and John Deere. The short and long shaft models seem to standup fairly well to most conditions. Neglect is difficult to accommodate. It seems cost is not such a factor to Ariens than building the strongest and best performing Auger system for their top of the line machines.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #6 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 5
I think all 926 series had full length shaft. My 926001 have one and it was a 'cheap' model.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 07:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 116
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 340
Likes (Received): 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
I would have thought the Ariens 1024 Pro model would be a full length auger drive shaft that did not need a gearbox support.
Mine does have a full-length shaft, if that's what you mean. I may have phrased my post poorly. I meant that I'd rather have full-length, but that at least I can see some benefit for the user with a stubby-shaft machine. For the person who never greases their augers, they might be more likely to stay free on the shaft, and not blow a gearbox due to rusting in-place, and then hitting something solid.

My machine is a 924-series.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks eyebolt thanked for this post
post #8 of 8 Old 04-15-2019, 09:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 135
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 314
If you want my thoughts, using a stub shaft off the auger gear case is a bean counter decision. If you have a full length shaft, you have X number of configurations - 1 for every width of auger housing. Now if you use a stub shaft and a bearing or bushing on the external end of the auger rakes, you have 1 configuration to use on every width of auger housing. That leaves you with less inventory overall because you're using the same setup in every machine regardless of auger width.

I have had a couple of machines come in where the rake had come off the bearing (don't ask me how as I'm not sure) and the rake was banging on the housing because of it. Had to disassemble the auger housing to get the rake back centered on the bearing. Looks like the end panel of the auger housing was pushed out which caused the issue.

Understand, I've come up against machines like this before and I'd rather have a full width auger shaft regardless of width. They are stronger IMO and will have less problems over time as long as you maintain them so the rakes don't rust to the shaft. I've wondered about finding either a full with shaft to replace these stubs or have a shaft made as it shouldn't be too expensive. big thing would be if you can configure bearings or bushings on the outside of the housing instead of those things they're using.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by HCBPH; 04-15-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eyebolt, Town liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page