post #21 of 23 Old 06-16-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplicitySolid22 View Post
You will hear many methods for storing......My best bet is drain gas...run engine until it runs dry(remaining gas still in fuel line and carb. are gone). Drain Oil. Take out spark plug and spray fogging oil in cylinder......Look in plug hole to see if cylinder is at TDC(Top dead center). If not pull on starter rope and watch in plug hole until cylinder is at top stroke.

Doesn't hurt to spray fog oil in cylinder and turn over engine a couple of times(no plug) and then go to TDC. Replace plug.

You can drain the oil or not but if you do make sure you tape a not in a ziploc on top of motor reminding you NO OIL during off season then when you take cover off in the end of fall/Winter you are reminded. Sounds silly but an ounce of prevention means a lot. Then winter tuneup in fall. Oil change.....Wheel hubs greased or oiled.......Augers checked....remove shear pins and see if they spin freely on their shafts.....Grease any moving parts with low temp grease!!!! Check belts.....replace if necessary. Or what your manual says about what fluids.....oil....grease....Etc.!!!!

Did you get a manual????

Drop us some numbers off your new Awesome Ariens ST824. Model and serial number. Also your engine numbers....if Tecumseh usually under the starter Plug remove two screws and it should be under plug on top of Engine Shroud. Ex:HM80-155629.
Thanks for the tips, I followed these today but couldn't figure out how to get the motor TDC. Seems no matter how slow I pulled, it wouldn't remain at the top. Not sure how much this matters.

While draining I dig break a rusty clamp holding the gas line to the tank, will need to find a replacement, plus the hose itself had a tiny crack so that as well.

HMSK80 1555265 looks to be the engine code. No manual but I did print some looking up the model and serial on Ariens site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 Old 06-16-2019, 10:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 42
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 136
getting it to top dead center is not a huge deal as long as you make sure to put a bit of oil in the cylinder and spin it over a couple times to lube and coat the cylinder. you mainly just want the piston at top dead center so you are less likely to have a valve stick open and water get in. with spark plug out it should be super easy to do and see.

as far as whether it is a good deal or not it is hard to say. i probably wouldn't buy something with a old style flat head after running machines with OHV. there is really nothing wrong with them and they usually do just fine as long as you keep the oil topped up but if you use a machine with a OHV enough you really do notice how much better on fuel they are.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #23 of 23 Old 06-22-2019, 09:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 51
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSilvia415 View Post
Thanks for the tips, I followed these today but couldn't figure out how to get the motor TDC. Seems no matter how slow I pulled, it wouldn't remain at the top. Not sure how much this matters.

While draining I dig break a rusty clamp holding the gas line to the tank, will need to find a replacement, plus the hose itself had a tiny crack so that as well.

HMSK80 1555265 looks to be the engine code. No manual but I did print some looking up the model and serial on Ariens site.

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/te...80-155526S.pdf

That last 5 is an S I believe on your HMSK80. So 526S.

When you pull the starter rope you should see the top piston go down or up not stay still????

The rope will tighten as you get to top usually.

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/ma...headmanual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page