LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-30-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Ariens platinum 30 SHO questions

I am considering looking at a 2016 Platinum 30 that’s for sale for $700. Fair price? Anything to watch out for during inspection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-30-2019, 11:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 55
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 123
Likes (Received): 55
I think that's fair. I paid $650 for one a few months ago from a family that was moving. They had it serviced by the local Ariens dealer so it's ready for the fall and in fantastic cosmetic condition.

There's nothing special to look for, just use your eyes and ears to evaluate it. Check the scraper bar and skid shoes for wear. Make sure the augers aren't frozen to the shaft. Make sure it starts and runs smooth at idle and full throttle, test forward/reverse, auger and impeller, chute movement, electric starter, shear pins, etc. Obviously, check the oil and ask questions about maintenance and intervals.

Take a look at the seller's house, garage and cars. Is everything well cared for and reasonably tidy? If a prior owner doesn't give proper care to their home, you can bet the same is true for the snowblower.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-31-2019, 10:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 116
Likes (Given): 89
Likes (Received): 132
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I am considering looking at a 2016 Platinum 30 thatís for sale for $700. Fair price? Anything to watch out for during inspection?
I don't know about US prices. That Platinum 30 SHO has Autoturn which is a locking differential. It should turn very easily as though it were an open differential, but it makes a clickety noise which is normal. The system should drive in a straight line, but is sensitive to friction loads steering the machine to the side where friction is highest. The Ariens plastic skid shoes have virtually no friction and best suits the machine. The stock steel skid shoes have high friction and I don't like them at all, perhaps the extra bucket weight causes this sensitivity. Ariens suggests that the bucket should be aligned properly and have this video to help you:

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...djustment.html

The engine should run at 3,600 rpm at full throttle, but can come from the factory (like mine) with less rpm which you will not like. It can be adjusted to spec. The engine starts well on first pull in the coldest weather. The rubber tired friction wheel wears in a couple of years but I use the machine a lot. On the left side of the chassis just in front of the wheel is a rectangular opening with a black plastic indicator. The indicator is a measure of wheel drive clutch adjustment. All the way forward for clutch released, as the clutch is applied the indicator moves to the rear of the slot. At middle is normal but at the back of the slot means rubber tire friction wheel is worn out and needs replacement.

There is a chute lock that should hold the chute in any desired position. It can get damaged if chute hits a ramp guard rail and will not lock. Easy to fix and adjust again. The chute deflector should point down and fully up out of path of snow so may need adjustment of cable or hinge points if movement is slow and not snappy.

It is an excellent machine, you will be happy with it.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #4 of 5 Old 08-02-2019, 11:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 168
That seems like a very reasonable price. This unit retails for about $1800.00 USD when new. This machine is powerful, will throw far and handle the plow pile with relative ease. A shortcoming is the LCT engine has a very small fuel tank for the 414cc engine, if you have a long driveway plan on refueling often. I would also check the fuel cap operation take it off and put it back on, it is a poor design bayonet style cap, that sometimes leaks. Good luck!

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 Old 08-07-2019, 10:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 4
Good advice from Rod 330.
I'd also make sure it wasn't used professionally.

Good luck,

JiminRI
2015/16 Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page