Buying a 6 blades fan or adding pads to the 3 blades fan - Page 4 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 56 Old 08-15-2019, 07:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 16
few quick questions - how much is a 6 blade "fan" and what machines does it fit, what's the advantage of the duel pulley system? I'm guessing the dual pulley system "reduces" the load on the engine so more power goes to the auger& fan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 08-15-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Received): 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
@legarem how does that relate to your experience with your machine belt lengths?
On my 926LE, with the 3.25 inch pulley, the belts I use are 40 inches. Ideally, calculated it is 39.78 inches.
I didn'try the 40 inches belts on the SHO.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Town thanked for this post
post #33 of 56 Old 08-15-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedudetl1 View Post
few quick questions - how much is a 6 blade "fan" and what machines does it fit, what's the advantage of the duel pulley system? I'm guessing the dual pulley system "reduces" the load on the engine so more power goes to the auger& fan
The 6 blades fan is about $200 Can and can be fitted with all Ariens which have 14 fan. The double pulley is a welcome mod because belts don't slip and last a lot longer than with a single belt. Ariens has a belt conversion kit which is really cheap. 3 years ago I paid near $60 for this kit. It includes the 2 pulleys, two belts and the belt tensioner. The pulley they supply in the kit is a 2.75 inches which is what SHO use.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Town liked this post
post #34 of 56 Old 08-16-2019, 09:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 55
Likes (Received): 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedudetl1 View Post
As @legarem noted:

The Ariens 6 blade impeller is part AP00258451 and cost me CAD$177.99 (CAD$201.12 with taxes) from my Ariens dealer. It is for an Ariens 926501-DLE model, but was manufactured in Quebec Canada. The US on line parts places have the part for a little cheaper.

The Ariens engines are too powerful for a single belt and need 2 belts to power the impeller and Auger with the high throughput. A single belt on earlier models would slip under heavy load from the large impeller. The 6 blade impeller is even larger (width and depth of each blade and about 1/8" or so larger diameter) for even more throughput.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #35 of 56 Old 08-19-2019, 10:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
@legarem, I have measured the stock SHO pulley and compared the dimensions to the 2AK32x1 pulley. The 2AK32x1 pulley will not fit because the crank will hardly reach it when belts are positioned correctly. I forgot about this problem that I learned about last year. I guess the Honda crank is longer than the LCT crank. You may want to try fitting your 2AK32x1 pulley onto your SHO to confirm the problem.

I think your idea of cutting the SHO pulley "spacer" and welding to the 2AK32x1 pulley would work to correct the problem.

On the belts, last year I measured the outside diameter of the stock SHO new belts at 41.5" which was confirmed by my dealer using a commercial belt measuring device. At that time it was estimated that a 3.25" engine impeller pulley would add about a 1/2" to the length. I did not source a 42" belt due to the pulley problem as noted above.

post #36 of 56 Old 08-19-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The Honda shaft didn't fit flush with the pulley end. I could measure it but I think there was a recess of about near 1 inch inside the pulley. The pulley I bought has 2 Allen keys to grip on the shaft. Considering that the Honda shaft don't go completely inside the pulley, I also used the crankshaft end bolt to secure the pulley to the shaft. I didn't weld the pulley to the shim made with the old pulley. If I remember, I used the snowblower for some time without the crankshaft end bolt without any problems.

Last edited by legarem; 08-19-2019 at 09:21 PM.
post #37 of 56 Old 08-20-2019, 09:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by legarem View Post
The Honda shaft didn't fit flush with the pulley end. I could measure it but I think there was a recess of about near 1 inch inside the pulley. The pulley I bought has 2 Allen keys to grip on the shaft. Considering that the Honda shaft don't go completely inside the pulley, I also used the crankshaft end bolt to secure the pulley to the shaft. I didn't weld the pulley to the shim made with the old pulley. If I remember, I used the snowblower for some time without the crankshaft end bolt without any problems.
Thanks for the update. I think the SHO is different from the 926 with a greater length for belt area and that is where the problem lies. The SHO pulley is 3 and 5/8" long and the crankshaft ends 1 and 7/16" into the spacer end of the pulley, so there is 2 and 3/16" of the pulley that is beyond the crankshaft. The total length of the 2AK32x1 is 1 and 27/32" made up of 1 and 3/8" for pulley and 15/32" for the extension with set screws. So when the 2AK32x1 pulley is lined up with the impeller pulley it does not reach the crank, there is a theoretical gap of 11/32".

As I see it the SHO pulley needs to have the integral spacer (1 and 11/16") cut from it. Then weld the cut spacer with a 3/32" spacer to the 2AK32x1 pulley. To end up with a length of 3 and 5/8". An alternative would be a floating 3/32" spacer next to wheel drive pulley and have that retained by the extended (by 1 and 11/16") 2AK32x1 which would reduce the crank drive length from 1 and 7/16" to 1 and 11/32" which is probably enough.

Perhaps my math is wrong or I am not looking at reality correctly. So can you please remove the SHO crank pulley and place the 2AK32x1 pulley roughly where the belts are on your SHO and see if there is a gap to the crank of about 11/32"? My ordered 2AK32x1 will be here about 28 August so I will be able to check it then.

post #38 of 56 Old 08-20-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I will try to look at that but I can't tell you when because I have to work on the two snowblowers to do that. Presently, I fight against big health problems which sometimes give me hard days I can't do too much things.
post #39 of 56 Old 08-21-2019, 07:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
thanks for the info on the 6 blade fan - will have to research the parts to see if a 6 blade will fit any of my "antique" machines (68,73,80s)...
post #40 of 56 Old 08-21-2019, 07:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
legarem - good luck w/ your health issues... sucks being sick....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page