Buying a 6 blades fan or adding pads to the 3 blades fan - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 08-08-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 12
Buying a 6 blades fan or adding pads to the 3 blades fan

As I have some time to do it now, I will prepare my Platinum 30 SHO now for winter. As I have to project the snow as far as I can, I have two options to increase the snow projection. 1- Replacing the 3 blades impeller with a 6 blades impeller. 2- Keeping the 3 blades impeller and adding rubber pads at the end of the blades. Which one should be the best. I already adjusted the motor so it will rev a little higher than it was stock. I will perhaps increase pulley size from 2.75 t0 3.25 inches. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 08-08-2019, 07:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 20
Add rubber paddles.
post #3 of 44 Old 08-08-2019, 07:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 199
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 542
Likes (Received): 106
I'd go with the 2nd option. It's a much cheaper option and you'll be done in no time. By the way, I have a 6 bladed 10hp Ariens with the impeller mod and a 3 bladed 10hp Craftsman with the impeller mod - both throw snow real far - I have to be careful on my driveway between houses and of coarse cars in the street.

Jack of all trades, Master of none!
Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Craftsman - 88934 - 10HP 28"
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000
post #4 of 44 Old 08-08-2019, 10:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 97
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 96
Never tried the paddles. Icing of the paddles to the impeller housing is too big a risk for me, even though I clean the area of snow after each use. We had 311.9 cms (over 10 ft) of snow last winter and I did 8 driveways several times each snowfall. I have one machine so it has to work reliably every time.

I have the 6 bladed Ariens impeller which works much better than the stock 3 bladed impeller. The clearance to the impeller housing is closer with the 6 bladed than the 3 bladed. Cost to replace the impeller is way more expensive, but you are getting a real performance upgrade with no downsides.

Good luck

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #5 of 44 Old 08-08-2019, 03:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
Never tried the paddles. Icing of the paddles to the impeller housing is too big a risk for me, even though I clean the area of snow after each use. We had 311.9 cms (over 10 ft) of snow last winter and I did 8 driveways several times each snowfall. I have one machine so it has to work reliably every time.

I have the 6 bladed Ariens impeller which works much better than the stock 3 bladed impeller. The clearance to the impeller housing is closer with the 6 bladed than the 3 bladed. Cost to replace the impeller is way more expensive, but you are getting a real performance upgrade with no downsides.

Good luck
Town, never had a problem with icing with any of the impeller mods I've down..., used high quality, thick, truck mud flaps. Seem to be good for me and the lake effect weather we experience here in the Buffalo/Lackawanna area of Western New York.

Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eyebolt, Town liked this post
post #6 of 44 Old 08-08-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Received): 12
I've done the paddle mod with success with my modified 926LE . The only drawback I saw was the metal with no paint around the impeller casing. It seemed to remove the paint really fast even if I took care to adjust the pads with minimum friction to the casing.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes aldfam4 liked this post
post #7 of 44 Old 08-09-2019, 06:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by legarem View Post
I've done the paddle mod with success with my modified 926LE . The only drawback I saw was the metal with no paint around the impeller casing. It seemed to remove the paint really fast even if I took care to adjust the pads with minimum friction to the casing.
Spray Fluid Film on those areas and you should be fine. You'll have friction with pads touching or not, snow, ice and whatever is being fed into the impelling housing will cause paint to break down eventually. JMTC.

Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000

Last edited by aldfam4; 08-09-2019 at 07:04 AM.
post #8 of 44 Old 08-09-2019, 09:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 97
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by legarem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldfam4 View Post
Spray Fluid Film on those areas and you should be fine. You'll have friction with pads touching or not, snow, ice and whatever is being fed into the impelling housing will cause paint to break down eventually. JMTC.
The paint on the inside of the impeller housing was completely removed within the first year. When the auger gearbox seals were replaced I painted the housing again with Ariens paint and still with stock 3 blade impeller the paint was removed from housing. So the impeller housing has been without paint for years and does not seem to be a problem except visually.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #9 of 44 Old 08-09-2019, 11:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 151
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 527
I would not add to the impeller pulley unless you up the horsepower......the rubber impeller modification is a no brainer in my opinion.
post #10 of 44 Old 08-09-2019, 01:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 175
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
I would not add to the impeller pulley unless you up the horsepower......the rubber impeller modification is a no brainer in my opinion.

Mr cranny he has the 20 ft lbs motor they put the 6 blade on the 1024 who with only 15.5 ft lbs if Mr town says it helps he knows his stuff
myself iam frugal I wouldn't change it out up the rpms for free to 3700 add impel kit 10 bucks will be more then he needs unless he needs a tractor

here is the 1336 with 17.5 ft lbs motor with and impeller kit and 6 blade impeller

Last edited by 1132le; 08-09-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Town thanked for this post
Likes Town, aldfam4 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page