LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-08-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
replacement belts

Ariens st524 wanted to replace belts this year after over 25yrs of use. Belt numbers 72106df and 72114df, Question does anyone know what the df stands for? I can find 72106 and 72114 belts but they do not end with DF how important is this?
Found this board while considering a new blower but decided on maybe one more year with st524. Been a great blower! And this is a great board on snowblower information. Thanks for any information. schemmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-08-2019, 06:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 51
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 178
what shape are the old belts in? if they are not too bad and you want just 1 more winter out of the machine it almost seems like it would be a waste to replace them unless there is something wrong with them. i would guess the df is just something to make it unique to their brand.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #3 of 4 Old 08-08-2019, 06:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 158
Purchase the 72106 and 72114 V belts from an Ariens dealer and dont look back as they are for ariens and gravely snow blowers. It would probably be a good idea to purchase a drive tire as well as old as the snow mule is.

They have so many designations for V belts now its hard to deal with and its not hard to buy the wrong belt even though its less expensive and even when the reseller brings out the dayton V belt gauge the size can be wrong-been there done that as JD does not like to spit out a cross reference size as most all of the corss references are wrong anyway-see below.

Using my case as an example the JD junk 44 inch snow blower I have takes an oddball driven kevlar V belt and drive belt with metric v belt pulleys specifically made by RAD in Canada for JD and they do not buy pulleys that come in a standard A size for the bloody things and the A116 V belts work for about 5 minutes before they tear in half.

I have not bought new V belts as they cost almost $200.00 USD locally and when I can buy new ones I will be buying them from the green parts store along with the parts that were missing on this snow blower when I bought the tractor new in 2011.

A friend of mine that I trust at another JD dealer found out that there was a service bulletin from jd about missing parts on the 44 inch snow blowers and several other models and he sent it to me so now I know that it was shipped missing parts and the dealer I bought it from did not know what they were doing.

JD could bring back the V belt to chain drive single stages with metal chutes with very little effort but I doubt that will ever happen.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-09-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Appreciate the replies! schemmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page