LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-07-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 37
Auto Turn - Poly Skids vs. Armor Skids

As we say in Maine, we have 10 months of winter and 2 months of hard sledding.

I'll be breaking out my (new to me) Deluxe 28 and am considering changing the skids before the first snow. The situation is that I have a square flat driveway, so I originally thought I'd stay with the original skids or go the poly route because I've heard that works best with Auto Turn. However, my front walkway is brick and heaves a lot and I thought that Armor Skids would work best of that surface. Which way to go?

Any insight will be appreciated.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28
Previous Machines:
1995 Yard-White-Bilt 8/26 Frankenblower
1980 Toro 826
1981 Toro 3521
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-07-2019, 06:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 120
I have the Deluxe 24 and bought the poly skids from the dealer at the same time I bought the blower so I've never used the stock steel skids. That said, my asphalt driveway is not level and does have some bumps but nothing severe and I've never had any issue with the Autoturn. I like it a lot and in fact was the reason I gave away a perfectly good Ariens snowblower to a brother-in-law. But the old one had a straight axle and with some cardiac, knee, and shoulder issues it was getting to be too much of a workout to use it.

The new Ariens with the Autoturn is great, at least for me, and I'm very happy I bought it. That said, I did buy the 2017 model just after Ariens moved the axle to correct issues that some people were having with Autoturn and I never experienced any problems with it not staying straight or being hard to turn. On the contrary it works great for me.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 01:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 7
I have a 2014 plat and switched to the poly. Much better (for me) over the OEM steel.
My drive is short, perhaps 50 ft, and tapers downhill, perhaps a 5% grade. The real problems are in the street. We live on a cul-de-sac which means I'm always going around a curve. The steel were a real pita. The poly are much better (for this purpose) but not perfect. Ruts are killers no matter what the shoe.

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
2010 Yard Machines 600 Series, 24" w/179cc MTD engine
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
Troy Bilt 521OR w/Tecu HSSK50 engine
post #4 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 11:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 54
Likes (Received): 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
As we say in Maine, we have 10 months of winter and 2 months of hard sledding.

I'll be breaking out my (new to me) Deluxe 28 and am considering changing the skids before the first snow. The situation is that I have a square flat driveway, so I originally thought I'd stay with the original skids or go the poly route because I've heard that works best with Auto Turn. However, my front walkway is brick and heaves a lot and I thought that Armor Skids would work best of that surface. Which way to go?

Any insight will be appreciated.
I can recommend the Ariens plastic skid shoes. They are low friction and work well with the AutoTurn. The Ariens steel skid shoes are high friction and do not work well with the pre 2017 AutoTurn. I have not used the extra long ArmorSkids since they are very expensive in Canada and hard to find and reviews are mixed with float as a notable problem.

A lot would depend on how the heaving is working: on individual bricks or in line with the path of the snowblower or in line across the snowblower path. My sidewalk pavers heave a bit as angling of individual stones. The scraper bar (set to 1/8") takes the brunt of impacts and does chip the stones (this is far less of a problem than the sidewalks holes and bumps). I need to file the scraper bar to restore, and the pavers are coloured all through so not that noticeable. In this case the plastic skid shoes work satisfactorily and I wouldn't change to steel skid shoes of any length.

If your heaving is across the path of the snowblower then the longer skid shoes may lift the scraper bar above the bricks.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #5 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 12:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 167
Northern Michigan smallish blacktop drive that is pretty smooth with a small right to left slope onto a paved street. 2018 Plat 24, all stock, scraper set low enough to often see bare blacktop. Steers with two fingers . . . Unless it hits a chunk of frozen crap (rare) is flawless without changing anything (and frozen crap will skew even a solid axle . . . like I was using prior . . .)
post #6 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 12:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 218
Likes (Received): 134
Poly skids work very well. I've tried the other types, the plastic has been the best in my situation.

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
post #7 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 05:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 54
Likes (Received): 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Northern Michigan smallish blacktop drive that is pretty smooth with a small right to left slope onto a paved street. 2018 Plat 24, all stock, scraper set low enough to often see bare blacktop. Steers with two fingers . . . Unless it hits a chunk of frozen crap (rare) is flawless without changing anything (and frozen crap will skew even a solid axle . . . like I was using prior . . .)
The 2018 Platinum would be the re-balanced model with the drive wheels closer to the bucket, like the Pro models. Ariens went this way to alleviate complaints on AutoTurn with steel skid shoes on models before 2017. Seems Ariens made the right decision.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks uberT thanked for this post
post #8 of 13 Old 09-11-2019, 08:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Received): 62
Armor skids to float a bit on some kinds of snow, but they steer well and slide much better than the stock steel skids. They're also much better on uneven ground as they're long enough to prevent the bucket from hitting. I helped the floating by adding some extra weight up front on my Pro 28, right around 30 extra lbs on the skids. It's a bit tough to tip the bucket up now, but it moves snow great.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-11-2019, 05:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Received): 54
Personally, AS are so overrated. My machine was a floatie flopper with them on. Hated them. Ended ordering up some UHMW shoes . Size matters and it's just too dang b1g
post #10 of 13 Old 09-11-2019, 08:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 44
I have the Ariens poly skids on one of my Ariens,,,,, will be putting them on all my machines as they come into needing new skids,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in