Snowblower Forum banner

Ariens plastic disk clutch on new models

11K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  enigma-2 
#1 ·
Hello

As I look everything in my Platinum 30 SHO before snow is coming, I looked inside the transmission to lubricate the chain and saw they use a clutch disk made with plastic. Even the sliding part center of the clutch which slides on the shaft is made of plastic. Do all these clutch parts will survive many years to come ? I should have looked if old 926 parts could be used in these new models. Thanks

#4 ·
Yea I was disappointed when I seen it too but we will see how it lasts, Not my only blower so won’t be stuck if it fails

#6 ·
The wheel drive friction disc from Ariens is all steel except for the rubber tire. The assembly is all metal. I don't know what the material is that rides on the hex shaft.

The steel friction discs last me 2 years, installed the 3rd one in the spring for this coming season. I don't wait for them to wear out and do extra damage in the middle of winter.

Here is a pic of my friction disc assembly.

Attachments

#7 ·
Your's is the old model made with metal like the one I had on my modified 926LE sold two days ago. Now this is made with plastic even the sliding part on the shaft is made with plastic. (picts to come tomorrow) There's a 2013 28 PRO for sale here. it looks new. For fun, I will perhaps go to see it tomorrow. If it had repositioned wheel shaft like my Platinum 30, I would perhaps change mine.

#9 ·
But the pro models still have the old like metal parts instead of plastic. For me, this means something.
I'm still amazed to see peoples changing disk so often. My old 926LE 2006 had the same disk when I sold it last week and it was good for a lot of time. It was shiny all around it with just a little bump line in the center.

#10 ·
Yup . . .we have had Ariens blowers since about 1973, and between 1973 and 2018, only two of them, shared with a neighbor. In those 45 years, changed *one* disc (and tthe second machine is running fine . . . the neighbor kept it and moved to a different place, which is why I bought my Plat 24 this past winter . . . )

So, I am very confused as to how folks could wear out a disc that fast as well . . .

#12 ·
But the pro models still have the old like metal parts instead of plastic. For me, this means something.
I'm still amazed to see peoples changing disk so often. My old 926LE 2006 had the same disk when I sold it last week and it was good for a lot of time. It was shiny all around it with just a little bump line in the center.
My Ariens has a black plastic marker on left side of chassis that indicates proper positioning of friction wheel and drive plate. When the marker is fully forward the clutch adjustment is correct and when it reaches the back end of the slot with clutch applied the friction disc is worn out. So it gets replaced even though there is still some rubber left since I don't want any problems in the winter.

My machine gets used a lot and it is expected to perform perfectly all the time. I do 8 driveways that usually involves clearing the snow several times for each snowfall, and the EOD extends way beyond each homes driveway. Each neighbour gets about 30 ft clear of EOD, more for double driveways. My neighbours are elderly and some are infirm so they need clear sidewalks and EOD and driveways and access ramps.

The snow builds up in some places so I need to cut back the banks which is hard on the transmission, but necessary. If you don't use the machine hard then parts last longer.

#11 ·
I picked up a ST 824 with a blown engine in 2002 on the side of the road, and replaced it with a Harbor Freight Chondra that I had used for 5 years on a piece of cranberry equipment. As far as I know it still has the original disc it was built with in 1981. At least I never changed it and it still looks good.

#19 ·
Thanks for the pic. I don't have a problem with plastic parts so that is a very interesting design, looks more efficient than my steel version. The geometry to keep the side drive located in its groove is fascinating. Perhaps you have a pic of the mechanism?

#16 ·
Break in the future, or not, that is a no no. The friction disc needs to be strong at all time. It is like the plastic wheels/rims that they had to recall. That thing would explode to your face if there was no cover. They would make them out of plastic to cut manufacturing cost and then make excuses this and that. My older Ariens snowblower seem to be better built. It still have some plastic bushings that have wore out completely. We all know that plastics are junks. Keep making things cheaper. One day MTD would replace them anyway.

#28 ·
Delrin is a solid material and has great lubricity. The gear reduction further down the drive line takes the brunt of the work. I don't see this as a huge negative, other than its not yet proven. If it doesn't work out, at least it a consumable part and not a major component and i am sure Ariens will take care of the customers. I will finish with i think its going to be a non issue.

#29 ·
Nah, man. If the part that slides on the hex axle is made out of plastic, it will wear out very quick, and the friction disc will wobble on there. For years working on cars and house equipment, I saw how brittle, or soft plastic parts are. Plastic has its place, but it was never meant to be used as moving parts, gears, sleeve bushings, or anything like that. Plastic has different names, but they all are the same (soft, hard, or right in the middle).

They made it out of plastic so that it is easy to slide, won't make noise and most importantly, cheap to make. It works great for the people who don't want to maintenance their snowblowers (free hands for Ariens tech supports as well). Once, it is out of guarantee, good luck, buddy. I'm sure the price of it won't be cheap either.

If that thing failed sooner than expected, your snowblower is out of the season.

You defend them all you want. It is not an improvement. It is for other reasons.

#30 ·
Toro is now using something similar. Once again, Paul from Movingsnow.com comes thru with a detailed walk around on another snowblower. This time its Toro's Power Max HD 928 OAE. Paul clearly shows this in the video at the 10:10 minute mark:

In looking up the parts diagrams the Toro has a 2 part clutch. They use a metal and rubber wheel attached to a plastic,(composite) part they call a trunnion. The trunnion glides along the hex shaft.

#31 ·
Acetal (Delrin is one of its many brand names) is the ideal material for this kind of application.
It has great strength, glides freely on metal and on itself, and is easily moldable to close tolerances.
It doesn't even need lubrication in sliding applications.
It is also available in fiberglass-reinforced versions where extra strength is needed.
It is also low-cost and commonly used in the making of machine parts and precision gears.
Those clutch disks should last a looong time, don't fear.

#34 ·
Even if they're not in the Pros that doesn't necessarily mean they won't last. It's not unheard of for a company to use a different part just because people perceive it as better (and are more likely to buy) even if it's not better. Or to introduce a part gradually in some models but not put it into others until it's had some time in service.

#33 ·
Good video from donyboy73 showing why regular maintenance to the hex shaft is so important. Donyboy73 shows what happens when a snowblower won't shift gears, metal to metal + rust. Time to push that Toro to the curb, lol. Oh wait donybow73 fixes it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.