LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-23-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
Question Advice and model year Q

Hello. New here and new to snowblowers, but not new to things mechanical (former Porsche/Audi mechanic). I just got what I think is a decent deal on a barely used Ariens Deluxe 28. The seller was vague about the model year and when I contacted Ariens with the model # (921030) and serial # (025695) they said it is a 2010. But that sounds wrong to me as it has an AX 254cc engine and it has Auto-Turn and my Interweb searches suggest that Auto-Turn was a new feature starting in 2014. Any thoughts? The paint is intact everywhere except right in the impeller housing, which is only partly scratched. I doubt this unit got much use at all. Started on the second pull (but it was 79F here today).

As for advice, I have a 400' drive that is about half gravel, half paved. I'm assuming I need to set the skids as high as they will go, which seems to be roughly the 22 millimeters recommended in the user manual. It has black aftermarket skids of some sort that look beefier than the OEM orange ones I saw in the showroom, but I'm wondering if I need to look into any other aftermarket skids.

Any other tips or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

-dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-23-2019, 07:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 110
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 122
Garage
The AX engine is made by LCT for Ariens. The model number and serial number are located on the side of the engine block. The serial # is below the Model #. The first 2 digits of the serial # give the production year of the engine. Ariens would usually incorporate that year's engine in their summer/fall production run, so the Ariens model year would be the following year.

As an example an engine with a production date of 14 was produced in 2014 and included in the Ariens build of 2014 and be a 2015 model. You are correct that AutoTurn started in the 2014 model year, so sales would have started in the fall of 2013.

I don't know how to figure out the Ariens model year from the Ariens model and serial numbers. Some models only last a short time so that may be another clue.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks danham thanked for this post
Likes rod330 liked this post
post #3 of 12 Old 09-24-2019, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 346
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 781
Its a 2014, 2015 or 2016 model.
I would suggest that Ariens can tell which specific year from the serial number, but they already got it wrong once! might be worth trying them again..
We can no longer tell model year from the engine, only Tecumseh serial numbers could do that.

In practical terms though, the exact model year doesnt matter much, because the three years are likely 100% identical, and all parts will apply to all three model years..

https://scotlawrence.github.io/ariens/Page9.html

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #4 of 12 Old 09-24-2019, 10:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
Its a 2014, 2015 or 2016 model.
I would suggest that Ariens can tell which specific year from the serial number, but they already got it wrong once! might be worth trying them again..
We can no longer tell model year from the engine, only Tecumseh serial numbers could do that.

In practical terms though, the exact model year doesnt matter much, because the three years are likely 100% identical, and all parts will apply to all three model years..

https://scotlawrence.github.io/ariens/Page9.html

Scot
Ariens included a small book on the AX engine with my machine. I quoted from this book how to determine the year of engine manufacture. I used this plus some info you provided somewhere on the relationship of engine build year to machine build year and model year. This info matches my machine info exactly, and we know the OPs machine is around about my machine's model year.

Why would the AX engine build year not be a reliable source of machine model year, when Ariens cannot identify model year from their Model and serial?

post #5 of 12 Old 09-24-2019, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 346
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
Ariens included a small book on the AX engine with my machine. I quoted from this book how to determine the year of engine manufacture. I used this plus some info you provided somewhere on the relationship of engine build year to machine build year and model year. This info matches my machine info exactly, and we know the OPs machine is around about my machine's model year.

Why would the AX engine build year not be a reliable source of machine model year, when Ariens cannot identify model year from their Model and serial?

interesting! thanks, I was not aware there was a way to determine model year from newer engines.. good to know! (I see it in your post now, my only excuse for missing it is: im at work, busy, and I skimmed posts quickly this morning. not a great excuse I know.

Scot

post #6 of 12 Old 09-24-2019, 10:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Likes (Given): 112
Likes (Received): 254
Lightbulb

Yup pic of mine ugh what a PITA forum wonít post pic and WILL NOTlet me del &[email protected]? Post

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.

Last edited by Dauntae; 09-24-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: It sucks delete already
post #7 of 12 Old 09-24-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
The AX engine is made by LCT for Ariens. The model number and serial number are located on the side of the engine block. The serial # is below the Model #. The first 2 digits of the serial # give the production year of the engine. Ariens would usually incorporate that year's engine in their summer/fall production run, so the Ariens model year would be the following year.

As an example an engine with a production date of 14 was produced in 2014 and included in the Ariens build of 2014 and be a 2015 model. You are correct that AutoTurn started in the 2014 model year, so sales would have started in the fall of 2013.

I don't know how to figure out the Ariens model year from the Ariens model and serial numbers. Some models only last a short time so that may be another clue.

Good luck.
Great info. Thanks. Can you give me an example of an AX serial number? There are a bunch of numbers stamped on the block of mine. The most likely candidate begins "1375H1..." so that makes me think it's a 2014 model manufactured in 2013.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2865.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	157187  
post #8 of 12 Old 09-24-2019, 11:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I would agree itís a 2014 model, my 2017 deluxe 24 has a 16 for the first 2 numbers.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-24-2019, 11:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
Great info. Thanks. Can you give me an example of an AX serial number? There are a bunch of numbers stamped on the block of mine. The most likely candidate begins "1375H1..." so that makes me think it's a 2014 model manufactured in 2013.
Yes the 13 is the year of manufacture and I agree it is a 2013 engine that would be installed in your Ariens in 2013 and be a 2014 model. The engine markings on yours seems much clearer than mine, but you may have a better camera.

Attached are the pics from my machine. The first shows direct engine markings and the second the paper version of Model # and Serial #. So serial # with the year of manufacture is the bottom #.

I will create a pic of the Ariens AX engine serial decoder, but unfortunately I have written on the page. See what I can do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AX engine #  and serial # loc.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	157189   Click image for larger version

Name:	AX engine #'s.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	157191  

post #10 of 12 Old 09-24-2019, 11:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Trying again, mine was never assembled but used so in new condition

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in