Ariens Platinum Track SHO 28: semi-long term update - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-26-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 22
Ariens Platinum Track SHO 28: semi-long term update

Been a while since posting here and want to provide a semi-long term update for the Ariens Platinum Track SHO 28. I was quite critical of this machine as posted in this thread: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...0-mistake.html

Last winter I had the most snow since living in the mountains. The area cumulative total was well over 400+ inches but I am in a slight valley, low spot where the snow tends to collect more as wind blows across. The Ariens, while still kinda' tough to muscle around, was definitely the machine to have with its power to toss the powder... and for that aspect alone I am having less regrets on the purchase. A co-worker of mine purchased the top of the line Honda track blower (which I had considered as well) and while that one is super easy to control, it has nowhere near the tossing power. In trying his, it would tend to bog down (almost wanting to stall) where the Ariens ramps up as if wanting to eat more snow. I recall only a handful of times that I actually did stall it out, but that was in extreme conditions where I should have back the forward speed down. In my ideal world, I would love to combine the power of the Ariens with the control of the Honda.

The auto turn is somewhat easy to function on hard packed surface, but still cumbersome to rotate on a cleared portion of driveway.

I am still a little disappointed with traction (or lack thereof) with a tracked blower. I have overcome this slightly in a very small way by adding grip traction devices tot he bottom of my snow blowing boots. At least this way I have a little more control of my person to try and transfer to the machine.

It starts every time with 1 or 2 pulls, but it is stored in a heated garage.

I am getting used to method of operation for the most efficient path clearing route and am getting to know this machine. I was quite critical in the first post of this thread and while there are some aspect I would have hoped to be better, I think I did make the right choice... especially after experiencing the less perceived power of the alternate I might have chosen in lieu of.

There is no substitute for horsepower and maybe I just need to eat another bowl of Wheaties before snow-blowing.

My snow clearing equipment:
Ariens Platinum Track SHO 28
Atlas 2 cycle single stage for the deck
24" snow shovel
14" snow shovel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Husqvarna 357 cc (gone)
Craftsman 357 cc (gone)
Troy-Bilt 5.5 HP, 24" (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-26-2019, 02:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I just got a Platinum 28 with RapidTrak myself and am concerned about the Autoturn. Mine tracks perfectly, the issue is that it never unlocks the axle when in track mode, and it's difficult in wheel mode.

Does yours unlock the axle when you're in normal track mode?

I'm thinking there's something wrong with mine that the axle is so hard to unlock.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-26-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 22
Mine is not the Rapid-Trak, just the regular tack model so I really cannot comment.

I will say that I would think the faster aspects of your model would be a nice feature... I sometime wish mine were a little quicker especially in reverse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page