Clearing back yard trails in the lawn with AutoTurn? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-06-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 7
Clearing back yard trails in the lawn with AutoTurn?

Hey gang,

Great snowblower discussion board you have here. Lots of guys with plenty of knowledge!

I just bought a new Deluxe 28" and it's sitting in the garage waiting for snowball. I was impressed with the quality of build- braces for the beefy cast iron gear box, sturdy wheel axle bearings, sturdy auger end bearings, simple and effective "gear" and deflector chute positions made of steel, rubber booty on the chute deflector cable, etc. The Deluxe 28 gets a lot of rave reviews, especially for the ability to launch snow. I was also considering a Cub Cadet as in the past, I've owned a Yard Machine and recently a Craftsman. (yeah, I know the MTD machines are a little cheesy in construction and don't perform as well as other, but they seem to get the job done and are a good bang for the buck)

So I have a question on the AutoTurn which I searched & searched, but couldn't find an answer, so here goes-
Beside my 3 car wide driveway, I also sometimes need to get around to the back yard to clear some paths on the lawn. There isn't a direct smooth path, but rather I need to follow some side hill snowmobile tracks which may have some fresh snow on top. Once in the backyard, I clear paths to bird feeders, the wood pile, to the side door of the basement, and later in the winter, I also clear around my extra garage in the spring to help the melted water flow. Basically, this could be described as going cross country. Sometimes, this means that the snowblower is spinning with both wheels while I need to help & push to help it along.

So- While the wheels are spinning and digging for traction and I'm pushing it along, will the Autoturn keep both wheels locked up and driving, or will one/both wheel disconnect and cause the machine to lurch sideways?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-06-2019, 05:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 233
I have the SnowHog tires on my machines, and they never spin on my lawn area, and this year, I have added a couple new to me blowers and put the Xtrac tires on, and I expect the same great traction.

I always snow blow around my house for gas meter, and just safety purposes, as well as down and around my lower garage/workshop, as that is where my blowers and other equipment are stored.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-06-2019, 06:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 116
Likes (Given): 89
Likes (Received): 132
Garage
The wheels on my Platinum are a little over 16" apart (probably same as the deluxe) on the inside edges so are likely to straddle the snowmobile track or ride one wheel on it and one off. So the bucket is not at the correct height or orientation and will be trying to bite into the hardpack. That may cause the both wheels to spin due to high load on scraper bar in the bucket. AutoTurn is not likely to be affected if pushing straight ahead, but you would be better to pack the snow around the hardpack for a wider area to run on. Run the snowmobile to make two machine track widths side by side. If you can run the bucket and wheels on the hardpack it will be easy to make good progress without wheelspin.

The snow accumulations around your garage etc will settle over the winter and become icy. Trying to clear that in the spring is going to be difficult for any machine. It will be much easier for you to clear the areas on a regular basis, say weekends, or when you get a significant snow fall. I clear the snow from the area near my furnace vents occasionally by using a double wide path so the blower does not get bogged down with high snow banks. There is little to no effect on AutoTurn even though I have to make a 180 degree turn. Lots of traction from the Ariens version of Xtrac tires, but with only 1/8" scraper bar clearance progress can be slow.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #4 of 5 Old 10-11-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 7
Thanks for the replies guys!

Town- Good point on the wider wheels and a snowmobile track. Yes, the Deluxe 28 has fairly wide wheel stance (wider than an MTD). I'll have to make note to offset my snowmobile tracks when I drive around the garage to the backyard when I leave the neighborhood. I usually wait until later in the winter to clear around the garage, and while that works the snot out of the blower, it's pretty much what needs to be done. If the MTD machines could take it, the Ariens can too. Keep in mind, I'm in western MN. Our typical season snowfall is only about 50-60" total, with most years not much more than 2 feet on the ground.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-11-2019, 10:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
I make paths in the backyard as well with the Ariens "autoturn". I just push down on the handlebars to keep the bucket from digging in and I have no issues with turning it. I don't go fast, and depending on the snow either in the first or second forward speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page