LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-06-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 932044 Rebuild

New to the forum, and a glutton for punishment on this post. I bought a Ariens 932044 with a blown engine last winter and decided to take on a project. I'm surely no pro, more of just a tinkerer. There are 1000 reason why this should not be done, and I've run in to most of them. This model had the dual shaft Briggs motor. I've converted it to a single shaft HF Predator 212. I had to buy new pulleys and almost re-engineer the drive system. I frankly hit the point no return and would like to see this out now. I started the break in on the engine today and began testing the functions. The drive systems works fine, although I'll never use all the forward gears. Only issue I saw was the auger belt started smoking almost immediately. Obviously the belt is not slipping on the engine pulley and engaging the auger, but not full power. The belt is rubbing/wearing on the brake. The brake looks pretty well worn and I guess I'm trying to determine if it is the belt, the pulley, or the brake. I pulled the idler off make the belt as loose as possible and the brake would still not hold the belt in place. Also, if I just pull the cord to advance the engine without starting it, the belt will slip on the pulley. Looking for thoughts on how to correct this.

Not the best photos, but I tried to show the brake pad. Its grooved by the pulley and dug out pretty good. I can pull this apart if we need a better photo. The second photo is the pulley arrangement (in mid rebuild).

This video shows the brake engaged then disengaged:

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by Chacho; 10-06-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-06-2019, 09:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Received): 2
It is not the brake. The brake only brake it a little (as long as it is hard to turn the impeller with one hand, it is good). It is the belt that is too short. It is contacting the engine drive pulley too much. Maybe try a narrower belt as well. The idler pulley must push the belt in enough so that it curve up and have gap between it and the engine pulley. Right now, you are having too much belt-pulley contacts. On my snowblowers, the belt covers also help with that.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-06-2019, 09:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I say if the belt is a little bit longer, it would oval up more and have less contact with the drive pulley. You want as little contact as possible, but the belt must remain on the pulley (can't jump out).
post #4 of 13 Old 10-06-2019, 09:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The auger is not supposed to turn when it is not engaged. The brake is braking it, but the engine pulley is pulling the belt, so it is smoking.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-06-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the quick reply guys. Pretty awesome of you. The belt is a 1/2" x 38-3/8" belt, so I can try to go up to something bigger (hopefully I don't have to order it). The engine pulley is an AK 2.75", does that seem like an appropriate size? When I bought this snow blower it had no pulleys so I was pretty much starting over and using some educated guesses. Another dumb question, when the idler pulley is off, should I be able to loop the belt over the engine pulley with no effort? I can force it over by hand, but just barely.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Chacho; 10-06-2019 at 10:02 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-06-2019, 09:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The green circle is something like a metal stud that keeps the belt on the pulley (won't slip out). You will need that if the belt cover is not doing that job for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snowblowpulley.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	157541  
post #7 of 13 Old 10-06-2019, 09:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacho View Post
Thanks for the quick reply guys. Pretty awesome of you. The belt is a 35" belt, so I can try to go up to a 36" (hopefully I don't have to order it). The engine pulley is an AK 2.75", does that seem like an appropriate size? When I bought this snow blower it had no pulleys so I was pretty much starting over and using some educated guesses. Another dumb question, when the idler pulley is off, should I be able to loop the belt over the engine pulley with no effort? I can force it over by hand, but just barely.

Thanks again!
It seems like the right size, but a little short. On my Ariens snowblower, the belts went on without any effort, so I think your is a little short. It looks short to me, or doesn't have enough slack.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-06-2019, 10:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Your belt should curve like the one I draw in the picture. Good luck and you are welcome. It is a tough job, I know. I would have avoid that.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-06-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry, wrote in the wrong size initially, edited my original post. It is actually a 1/2" x 38-3/8" belt. Regardless, sounds like it is a bit too small for what I got going on.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-06-2019, 10:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacho View Post
Sorry, wrote in the wrong size initially, edited my original post. It is actually a 1/2" x 38-3/8" belt. Regardless, sounds like it is a bit too small for what I got going on.
Actually, that belt doesn't look too short. It could still work, if you can make it oval up a little bit more, so it is not touching the drive pulley too much. On my snowblower, there is a metal bracket that help with that. Look in the picture. Maybe you can do the same.

I would only go an inch longer at max, if that make things easier for you. Longer belt is not always a good thing. It can slip out of the pulley.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snowblowpulley1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	157543  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page