Bought used Deluxe 24 (921045) with issue - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-27-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Bought used Deluxe 24 (921045) with issue

Yesterday I bought a used Deluxe 24 (921045) and realized it has an issue as soon as I got it home. Whenever drive is engaged it makes a clunking noise. I took the bottom panel off and found that the friction wheel is always engaged with the drive plate/pully. I pulled the belt cover and found that the drive plate wasn't fully retracting and hitting the stop bolt. It looks like the drive belt tensioner is coming into contact with the drive plate/pully and not allowing it to fully retract. I'm assuming this is because the drive belt has stretched or was defective.

This looks like it could be fixed with a new drive belt but i'm confused how that could have stretched in the first place. Is there anything else I should check before I replace just the belt?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191027_103556722.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	158111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191027_103645216.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	158113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191027_101810127.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	158115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191027_101828309.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	158117  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-27-2019, 12:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Received): 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooecow View Post
Yesterday I bought a used Deluxe 24 (921045) and realized it has an issue as soon as I got it home. Whenever drive is engaged it makes a clunking noise. I took the bottom panel off and found that the friction wheel is always engaged with the drive plate/pully. I pulled the belt cover and found that the drive plate wasn't fully retracting and hitting the stop bolt. It looks like the drive belt tensioner is coming into contact with the drive plate/pully and not allowing it to fully retract. I'm assuming this is because the drive belt has stretched or was defective.

This looks like it could be fixed with a new drive belt but i'm confused how that could have stretched in the first place. Is there anything else I should check before I replace just the belt?

Thanks!
I installed a new drive belt, which isn't stretching as much (it is shorter in length). Since then, I am having the same problem that you have. It must be the belt that is causing it. As we all know, the two pulleys don't align with each other very well when drive is not engaged. On some Ariens models, it can cause the drive belt to slip out. The problem here is that, with the stiffer belt that I have and the pulleys misalignment, it can prevent the drive plate from retracting fully. The fix for me is to have a stiffer spring to pull the drive plate/pulley back. I haven't looked into other solutions, yet, but I sure will figure it out.

I will do some changes to minimize the pulleys misalignment (2-3 millimeters space between the drive plate and friction disc only). Mine didn't seem to misaligned that much in comparison with the ones that I saw, so it is not a huge problem for me.

Last edited by dman2; 10-27-2019 at 12:38 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-27-2019, 05:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Received): 51
On Ariens, its best to use OEM belts. They use some strange sizes, that will not match with standard belts. Is the tensioner cable too loose?

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #4 of 9 Old 10-27-2019, 05:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City View Post
On Ariens, its best to use OEM belts. They use some strange sizes, that will not match with standard belts. Is the tensioner cable too loose?
Nah, universal belts work fines if you know what to look for. I don't like to pay extra for nothing. You are right about them using strange sizes. If I remember correctly, they listed the drive belt 35", but it was longer than that. It might even be 36" and also wider than the belt I got. Despite of the differences, it still work fine for me. It is not as critical as the auger belts.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-28-2019, 07:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Received): 133
I don't have one of those models, but that spring does not look right, and appears to be way to close to the pully?

I would be looking at the return spring for the drive plate, or an adjustment for the control lever of that plate. Or possibly something broke or is missing?
post #6 of 9 Old 10-28-2019, 09:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 7
On my 2005 11528LE that spring isn’t touching. The bolt on his Deluxe 24 looks longer maybe that’s why it’s close to the spring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3E1F4525-14FE-47A5-B3FF-E3D6329D529D_1572264850296.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	158177  

Last edited by Michele; 10-28-2019 at 09:41 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-28-2019, 10:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Second and third pictures, he had no belt on that is why it is so close to the drive plate pulley. The belt tensioner spring looks right to me. There is a tiny spring hooked to the side of the frame to pull the drive plate back. Yes, it is tiny and rusted. It wasn't strong enough to pull the drive plate all the way back on my machine when I installed a new belt.

You are kidding me. Belts do stretch a lot, that is why we replace them. I use Kevlar corded belts.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-02-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Well, I found the issue and it was a weird one. I installed the new belt and the tensioner was still rubbing so I split the unit in two and found the issue right away. On the shaft that supports the drive pulley there are two clips to keep it in place. They had fallen out so the pulley slid on the shaft and was rubbing. I pulled the pulley back into position on the shaft and reinstalled the clips. Now there is plenty of room.

How those clips fell out is beyond me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191101_190736391.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	158417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191101_190412615.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	158419  
post #9 of 9 Old 11-02-2019, 09:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Received): 133
Good job

Usually, as you have done, you will find with a little detective work and common sense, just about every issue on these machines is pretty simple and straight forward.

These units are for the most part, pretty well designed, and they do try to keep them basic. I will admit though, there are some designs I think were put through on a Friday, 30 minutes before quitting time .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page