LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 10-28-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Using Tru Fuel

I had my six year old Ariens Platinum 24 blower tuned up this past summer. It was in pretty good shape. The tech who serviced it drained the gas and added some tru fuel and told me to not add any more reg gas until I was ready to use it for the first snow. I kind of like what I have been reading about the 4 cycle tru fuel and was wondering if there is any reason, besides cost, of using it exclusively. Ignoring cost does anyone do this and not use regular gas? Are there any cons of doing it. I can get a case of 6 32 oz cans at Home Depot for $40. I am not sure of the snow blowers gas tank capacity. I think it is less then a 1/2 gallon.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes notabiker liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 10-28-2019, 07:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Received): 142
What is that, like 14.00 a gallon with tax? I have no need, nor a desire for that.

There is quite a few posts on gas, and seems that most use regular gas with additives in it.

Some drain and run the system dry for off season.

Me personally, I just park my equipment in off season with its treated reg. gas, and might fire it up if I think of it. I have never had a fuel system problem in all my equipment doing it this way. I have on the other hand repaired many units with gunked up carburetors from people using the ethanol gas with no additives and letting them sit for very long periods.

My generator gets fired up periodically, and it is about time to drain that tank, and put in fresh reg. with my additives.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh, ST1100A, aldfam4 liked this post
post #3 of 54 Old 10-28-2019, 10:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 74
I don't see a reason to spend the extra money. Personally, I just stabilize any gas I buy for lawn / snow equipment immediately when I buy it, whether it has ethanol or not. At the end of the season for each piece of equipment, I fire it up, close the fuel shutoff, wait a few seconds and then stall it out with a spray of fogging oil into the carb. Then top off the fuel tank. That draws down the amount of fuel in the float bowl a bit, coats everything in fogging oil and minimizes the airspace in the fuel tank for condensation to occur.

I've never had anything not run just fine on the 6+ month old fuel at the start of the next season. Occasionally some equipment will need a short shot of carb cleaner into the intake before it'll start the first time depending on how well coated the spark plug, etc. is with fogging oil. But once it fires, it just burns off with a little smoke and then everything is good to go.
Likes ST1100A liked this post
post #4 of 54 Old 10-28-2019, 10:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 51
Price is the only reason not to use it on the reg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 54 Old 10-28-2019, 11:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 51
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 178
do you have access to ethanol free gas around you? that is usually the best and cheapest way go if it is available. it is still recommended that you drain it and run it dry at the end of the season but at least it will still usually keeps your carb protected. i would assume tru fuel likely has the same issue as the ethanol free. looses it flammability with age which makes it a bit harder to start an engine but at least it won't clog up a carb if left unchecked.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Likes aldfam4 liked this post
post #6 of 54 Old 10-28-2019, 11:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoward750 View Post
I had my six year old Ariens Platinum 24 blower tuned up this past summer. It was in pretty good shape. The tech who serviced it drained the gas and added some tru fuel and told me to not add any more reg gas until I was ready to use it for the first snow. I kind of like what I have been reading about the 4 cycle tru fuel and was wondering if there is any reason, besides cost, of using it exclusively. Ignoring cost does anyone do this and not use regular gas? Are there any cons of doing it. I can get a case of 6 32 oz cans at Home Depot for $40. I am not sure of the snow blowers gas tank capacity. I think it is less then a 1/2 gallon.
I used to stabilize all my fuel with Lucas Ethanol Fuel Conditioner (https://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-t...th-stabilizers) but I stopped about a year ago. I'm now able to get 89-octane ethanol free fuel at one of my local Wawa so that is what I use exclusively now. It's only .25 more per gallon, super reasonable.

$2.99 = 89 ethanol
$3.24 = 89 non-ethanol

And yes, I've tested both fuels for ethanol using a "Briggs & Stratton 795161 Gasohol Tester." Ethanol free does indeed appear to be ethanol free.
post #7 of 54 Old 10-28-2019, 11:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 51
On a side note, project farm on YouTube did a test with different gas types and Lucas stabilizer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 54 Old 10-28-2019, 11:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 51
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.fisher26 View Post
On a side note, project farm on YouTube did a test with different gas types and Lucas stabilizer
that is how i learned the gas seems to loose some of its flammability with age whether it is ethanol free or not but ethanol free gas seems to do a bit better than the rest not loosing whatever evaporates or separates with the ethanol.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes e.fisher26, ST1100A liked this post
post #9 of 54 Old 10-28-2019, 07:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 35
Likes (Received): 42
I just picked up 10 gallons of VP 4 cycle non-ethanol 94 octane fuel for my generator. Even with the special deal I got, it is still outrageously expensive. There are places downeast that pump it for prices similar to what Nafterclifen mentioned, but I haven found one close enough yet. Given that we lost power for two days during the last storm, I wanted to get some in the tank so as not to worry about water absorption.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28
Previous Machines:
1995 Yard-White-Bilt 8/26 Frankenblower
1980 Toro 826
1981 Toro 3521
post #10 of 54 Old 10-29-2019, 12:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 42
Thanks (Received): 72
Likes (Given): 137
Likes (Received): 90
Most people don't know that "Tru-Fuel" is just non ethanol pump gasoline with fuel stabilizers added to it, nothing more, and the price they charge for it is outrageous.
You figure at $10-$15 a gallon, its a lot cheaper to find a gas station that sells non ethanol and add your own stabilizer to it for a lot less money if you figure what it cost per gallon including the cost of a bottle of stabilizer, and mix it yourself, you are saving a lot of money.
If you use up your fuel fast enough and are always buying new fuel, you are better off just buying regular pump gas with or without ethanol and adding stabilizer to it just in case the machine might sit for a long time without being run.
It doesn't last any longer than regular pump gas with stabilizer added to it when its sitting in your snowblowers fuel tank. It only lasts longer when it remains in the sealed container that it comes in when you buy it and not opening the can to let air into it.
When it gets old, it can still leave varnish and deposits in the carburetor if it sits in it for a long time, the same as regular gas with stabilizers in it. Both of those will last longer than non stabilized fuel because the stabilizer helps to keep the atoms in the molecules of the gasoline from breaking apart and splitting away from certain other atoms that make up the molecules of the gasoline. When they split up and separate and combine with other atoms, they form molecules of sludge/varnish and what is left does not want to burn properly.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Ariensboy thanked for this post
Likes aldfam4 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in