post #1 of 24 Old 10-28-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
Trouble with slushy snow...

The ground is so warm still the 8 inches on my deck was like 4 on the walks. I went up to Ouray and did the sidewalk in front of my buddies restaurant. There was about an inch of slush under a few inches of fluff, about 20*F. The snow was not getting to the impeller, it would fill the bucket and start spilling out. Every once in a while it would ingest the clog and send it. My friend confirmed the augers were running and the machine was cold, it had been in the back of the truck for almost 2 hrs.

So is this just a conditions thing? I slowed down and that helped but it would still clog/purge, clog/purge with some normal processing. Lots of snow frozen around the impeller intake too. Suggestions? Machine worked, saved a ton of shovelling, just wonder if this was normal or could be improved upon. This is with my 1027
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-28-2019, 08:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Received): 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Holm View Post
The ground is so warm still the 8 inches on my deck was like 4 on the walks. I went up to Ouray and did the sidewalk in front of my buddies restaurant. There was about an inch of slush under a few inches of fluff, about 20*F. The snow was not getting to the impeller, it would fill the bucket and start spilling out. Every once in a while it would ingest the clog and send it. My friend confirmed the augers were running and the machine was cold, it had been in the back of the truck for almost 2 hrs.

So is this just a conditions thing? I slowed down and that helped but it would still clog/purge, clog/purge with some normal processing. Lots of snow frozen around the impeller intake too. Suggestions? Machine worked, saved a ton of shovelling, just wonder if this was normal or could be improved upon. This is with my 1027
Man, that was disappointed for the first try out. You won't be so disappointed the next time. I know you have a good machine. It is normal (any snowblower will do that with slush. Try that with the shovel and you will know why it is hard on the machine). The impeller mod helps, but it is best to avoid slush by blowing early.

Unlike the water pump, snowblower have gaps every where. It won't pick up water and slush. It will just clog up.
post #3 of 24 Old 10-28-2019, 08:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Received): 6
Also apply non-stick products like car wax on the chute, impeller, auger and housing. Make them slippery.

I sprayed cooking oil on my lawn mower in the Spring (when grass is wet and grow thick). It is friendly for the environment and help a lot. same for snowblower.
post #4 of 24 Old 10-28-2019, 09:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 10
I've read that the very best non-stick product is old-fashioned floor wax (the kind that needs to be buffed after it's applied). Paint it on with a brush and let it harden to a thick coating that lasts a long time.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #5 of 24 Old 10-28-2019, 09:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman2 View Post
Man, that was disappointed for the first try out. You won't be so disappointed the next time. I know you have a good machine. It is normal (any snowblower will do that with slush. Try that with the shovel and you will know why it is hard on the machine). The impeller mod helps, but it is best to avoid slush by blowing early.

Unlike the water pump, snowblower have gaps every where. It won't pick up water and slush. It will just clog up.

the impeller mod doesnt help
it ends that issue
my backup blower st824 rust bucket looks like a fire hose with water hasnt clogged since 2009 with imp kit
was rated to throw snow 25 feet new it throws 40 feet now and slop 20 feet plus
post #6 of 24 Old 10-28-2019, 09:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 218
You just hit some crappy conditions, and as you saw, while it didn't perform great, still beats shoveling.
post #7 of 24 Old 10-28-2019, 09:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 64
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 234
Likes (Received): 138
Garage
Really slushy stuff is difficult for any snowblower. Mine will throw out bricks of ice for awhile, then will clog. Fortunately, this is a rare occurrence around here-just once every year and a half. Make sure you have a broom handle or something to clear out the chute and don't use your hands.

Honda HSS928AWD (upgraded chute, transmission)
Honda HS720AS (at sister's)
Honda EU2000i (generator)
Likes notabiker liked this post
post #8 of 24 Old 10-29-2019, 01:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 72
Likes (Given): 136
Likes (Received): 89
A little trick with slush type snow I found works well for me is to drive into it at a high speed so it will get back to the impeller and then it will get thrown out the discharge chute.
If I went too slow it would just clog up, if I went fast, almost a jogging speed, it would clear itself out and did the job pretty well because it didn't have the time to pack up and melt in the auger housing, and I got the job done a bit faster that way.
Try it, it might work for you, I know it did for me and a lot of others who wrote on here about doing that with the wet slushy snow. You are kind of "Bulldozing" it when you do that. I don't have an impeller mod kit either and never had a problem when I went into it fast.
Likes notabiker liked this post
post #9 of 24 Old 10-29-2019, 01:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 29
Likes (Received): 17
Welcome to Colorado early and late season slush. Water underneath powder is a difficult mix. It is a real problem since at your altitude you have a lot less power than your machine will produce at sea level. Only half the oxygen up at Ouray as down at sea level. Up where you live you essentially have the equivalent of a small motor turning a big auger.

1. Install an impeller seal kit. Closing the gap between the impeller and the housing is the best performing and cheapest snowblower upgrade you can make. Especially for moving slush.

2. Waxing or spraying your chute and auger with Ariens Snow Jet spray or Fluid Film helps with slush, but must be re-applied every day in slushy conditions. Some people use pure silicone spray (not WD40) or simple cooking oil spray.
Dry powder days require no spray. Just warm wet slushy days. Spray the day before a snow fall so the fluid can dry and last a bit longer.

3. Vary your speed and how wide of a path you cut. If snow is shallow not getting enough volume flowing thru the auger leads to clogs. When slush is deep, swallowing too much at once bogs your motor down and causes clogs. The sweet spot for throwing slush lies somewhere in between.

You can never have enough horsepower when throwing slush. Run only full throttle.

Good luck.

Honda HS50 (35 years) Honda HSS 928 ATD (November 2018)
Likes ST1100A liked this post
post #10 of 24 Old 10-29-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
Thanks guys, just chalked it up to adjusting to the new machine. It doesn't lack power at altitude, it never bogged down, never completely clogged, I was just surprised the augers didn't feed the impeller better. As mentioned there is a lot of open space around the moving parts. The impeller kit sounds interesting and I had already considered waxing the area around the impeller bucket transition where I had the most ice build up.

I did try the going fast and forcing into the back of the bucket but that just left trails... Almost water on the bottom layer the blower struggled at first to even push through and pick it up. Slower speed seemed to work and the blower still did the job in 10 minutes where that would have been an hour of shovel work for sure.

Happy with the machine, thanks for the tips to make it better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in