Ariens compact 24 920014 drive repair need advice - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 10-28-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 45
Ariens compact 24 920014 drive repair need advice

about 5 or 6 years ago I bought this snow blower for my dad new. Recently he had some clicking noises coming from the transmission only when it's moving. Based on what little info that is out there it would be the drive pulley bearing or a belt or the pulley itself.

Now the pulley seems to be a little rusty considering how well it's been taken care of. I took the pulley off and checked the bearings and they are in really good shape.
I have new oem belts on order from Ariens. They are still the original. Has anyone else experience this type of issue and did new belts take care of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-30-2019, 10:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 122
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriensProMike View Post
about 5 or 6 years ago I bought this snow blower for my dad new. Recently he had some clicking noises coming from the transmission only when it's moving. Based on what little info that is out there it would be the drive pulley bearing or a belt or the pulley itself.

Now the pulley seems to be a little rusty considering how well it's been taken care of. I took the pulley off and checked the bearings and they are in really good shape.
I have new oem belts on order from Ariens. They are still the original. Has anyone else experience this type of issue and did new belts take care of it?
Does the clicking noise frequency match engine speed or wheel speed? I suppose the impeller and auger and auger belts are not moving while the clicking is being heard?

AutoTurn was introduced for the 2014 model year (machines built in 2013) so the Compact may have this feature. The differential will make a clicking noise if not moving in a straight line and many more clicks if being turned. That seems to be a normal part of their operation. Clicking would be about wheel speed.

Have the transmission gears and chain been lubricated. There may be a grease zerk on the right of chassis (near wheel drive axle) to lubricate the internal chain gear and drive gear on the shaft. Clicking may be at wheel speed.

The wheel drive belt is often running at an offset between the crank pulley and the swing drive plate pulley because of the swing action of the drive plate to contact the friction disc. This can cause oscillations in belt that may affect the shaft that the swing plate rides on. With the engine stopped move the swing plate shaft in and out and there will be a significant noise. A worn wheel drive belt may increase the movement due to excess flexibility. The frequency would likely be faster than wheel speed and may not be rhythmic.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #3 of 3 Old 11-06-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 45
It ended up being a friction disk. A chunk broke off.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Town liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page