LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 6
Welded Impeller Mod was a Failure

I like the impeller mod so much that I installed it on all of my two stages snowblowers. This time though, I decided to weld it instead. It was a mistake. My welding looks great, but I can't cut the blades evenly, so that they will fit in the impeller housing. The welding beads made it extra thick and hard for me to cut through (even with a 14" metal cutter). I decided to call it a quit, as it will take me a long time to get it done. It probably won't turn out well either.

Well, learn from me folks. My lost is your gain. I wanted to do the impeller mod right, but it was a lot harder than I thought. Welding was never be easy (I heard welders complain about their jobs a lot). You only know how hard it is once you get involved. We all busy in life and those things can take a lot of times from us.

My impeller is Ariens 3 blades 14". The shape of it made it hard to do the impeller mod. The best you can do is bend some stainless steel blades to shapes and then bolt them on. Make them adjustable. If you was to weld it, weld right inside of the impeller housing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Re: 6 blades

I found this picture somewhere on this site. I hope the owner of this picture doesn't mind me re-posting it.

I think that person did a nice job at it. I might do the same, with the cost of a new impeller.

I don't like rubber on it, because of the shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7381_zpsdce8d80e.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	158289  
post #3 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 04:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 144
Thanks (Received): 274
Likes (Given): 379
Likes (Received): 926
I would NEVER make an impeller kit out of metal.. Just begging for trouble IMHO.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes nwcove, Grunt liked this post
post #4 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 06:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 19
On my previous 3 blades impeller, I did it with tire parts fastened with 2 bolts and washers on each blade and It worked without any problems. Even if 3 blades fan are cup shaped, It is not worse to do than straight shaped blades. With correct size rubber paddles it fit nicely on the blades only with washers bolts and self locking nuts.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 07:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 678
Thanks (Received): 179
Likes (Given): 1091
Likes (Received): 1108
Garage
never heard of a metal impeller kit.

you can make home made rubber adjustable kits using an old mudflap and some nuts and bolts.

the main problem is that the inside housing for the impeller is not a perfect circle so it hard to get a perfect seal but you can come close. i put them snug and then spray some lubricant and run the impeller for a short while until the pads are broke in. takes very short time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180630_111252_resized.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	158293  

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #6 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
I would NEVER make an impeller kit out of metal.. Just begging for trouble IMHO.
Well, it doesn't matter what material you used, there is always weaknesses in the impeller mod (for examples: throwing rocks, rust and ice freeze up). That is why I always recommend people to not do the impeller mod when not needed. I like to have fun a little, but sometime it costs me a lot.

I didn't want rust, rubber flex, wear/tear in rubber and loose bolts, so I decided to weld it. I saw a few people did it with metal plates. You just have to leave a little gap with it. With a smaller gap, you can always add thinner rubber on it.

Thick rubber takes space and make the blades narrower. I wanted the blades to be as wide as possible and cupped. Yes, there is a reason why they are cup shaped.

Well, I will just keep working on it. A little at a time.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
never heard of a metal impeller kit.

you can make home made rubber adjustable kits using an old mudflap and some nuts and bolts.

the main problem is that the inside housing for the impeller is not a perfect circle so it hard to get a perfect seal but you can come close. i put them snug and then spray some lubricant and run the impeller for a short while until the pads are broke in. takes very short time.
That looks good. I also used metal plates on top of rubber paddles instead of washers.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
Likes orangputeh liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page