LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-02-2019, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 10
Want to add lights, need some tips.

Ok, so this isn't a specific Arien's deal, but it's my new engine on an old machine, so I figured this would be the place to start.

Over the summer, I've been working on getting my machine running again and I stumbled upon an alternator plug tucked neatly along the side of the new engine and realized I could add lights!

My new engine is a Briggs 1500 Sno engine, P/N 15C107-0040-F8. If I understand the parts list correctly, it only comes with one alternator option and that P/N is 797090, 60w. It also shows some wire assemblies, but I'm unsure if those are what I need or if there's something else the parts list doesn't show. I'd rather not cut the plug off and keep the wiring clean. Any ideas?

A pic of the plug:

Follow my Arien's 10672 rebuild thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Professionally made vinyl chute control direction stickers for $2.50, more details here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-02-2019, 05:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 37
Likes (Received): 170
Garage
I've not found the matching connector end but no worries, you just cut connector off and add fuse holder there and continue on to the lights. Easy peasy !!!

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower 16HP
~~ And Lastly ~~
Ariens 32" 924??? Double auger & impeller 14HP v-twin BEAST !!!
Plans are being drafted, parts are accumulating in the pile......
post #3 of 12 Old 11-02-2019, 07:40 AM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 93
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujoe_da_man View Post
I'd rather not cut the plug off and keep the wiring clean. Any ideas?
Firstly you will need to figure if it's AC or DC but I assume it is AC since it has two wires. If you want to add an LED light you will need a full wave rectifier. These are the type commonly used, kind of overkill but they are cheap, easy to mount, straight forward and accept regular crimp style lugs on the tabs.

Then you will need to measure the output voltage preferably with a small load. Then purchase an appropriate LED lamp probably 9-36 volts, these will have internal regulators that will eliminate any flicker. As for the connector you can probably find a match for it.

Or change it for a weather proof one.

''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''

Last edited by Coby7; 11-02-2019 at 07:45 AM.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-02-2019, 09:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 112
Likes (Received): 253
They used to use those plugs on RC cars a LONG time ago and may be ok but failed a LOT on RC cars LOL But I purchase better and just cut those off and replace with a quality one that can keep the elements off the contacts AND use a little diametric grease to stop them from corroding.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-02-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm curious, I keep seeing vids on Youtube where they add all sorts of capacitors and other things along with the rectifier, but they never actually say what it's all for, any ideas? I thought the rectifier did all the work.

Professionally made vinyl chute control direction stickers for $2.50, more details here:
post #6 of 12 Old 11-02-2019, 02:12 PM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
It all depends on the quality of LED lamp you put in. There is a thread on here but it's too long to read through. Basically the rectifier changes AC to DC;

But it isn't clean as you can see there is still an AC component to the waveform.

If you don't have an LED lamp that has an on board regulator you will need a capacitor to clean it up a bit to remove light flicker.

The bigger the capacitor the cleaner the voltage gets.

post #7 of 12 Old 11-02-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well, I ordered a rectifier and a cheap light to start out with just so I can experiment with, I can always upgrade to something better later if this all works out. Truth be told, I don't do a lot of work at night anyway, but it would be nice to have the option when I need it.

One vid I just found said that he uses capacitors because there's no battery, would a battery be beneficial or just stick with the capacitor? I only ask because I literally have a very small motorcycle battery laying around from another project that I'm not using.

post #8 of 12 Old 11-02-2019, 02:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
You won't need a battery. And remember lights are not only to see but also to be seen.

post #9 of 12 Old 11-02-2019, 03:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 72
Likes (Given): 63
Likes (Received): 99
This might be the other end you need:

Wire Assembly
Part Number:
post #10 of 12 Old 11-02-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
You won't need a battery. And remember lights are not only to see but also to be seen.

I was just curious, this is all new to me, not like working on cars where everything is straight DC to wire everything up. I'm better with cars than small engines :P

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in