LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 273
Likes (Given): 375
Likes (Received): 919
Question $120?

Worth it? I don't know anykthing about these older Ariens.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1718112311626/

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 166
Likes (Given): 63
Likes (Received): 578
Hard to say what that old girl is worth.....in how much snow it will move if in good shape, and utility, it is worth much more.I pass on them for free nowadays as they don't sell well, and for my own use I prefer the 924 series, although the 73's and 74's have appeal to me. If I were looking for an old Ariens, and was thinking utility instead of collectability, I would look at the 924 twin sticks ( can get in Ma. for $50 or so ) or the early St 824's...again can find some that need a little love for cheap. My second choice ( if I was set on a vintage 10000 series) would be the 73 or 74. I look for the big wheel 924's with the 4 bolt 8 inch rim for my own use, whether twin stick or ST series, as I like their performance , and like the idea of wheel bearings instead of bushings, and the ease of replacing traction discs. My best machines are St 824's with either the large Tecumseh overhead valve engines or a Predator or other Honda type engine. That 10000 series machine if from a homeowner is worth $50 to $75 dollars running, and $25 if an issue. More money if a professional has gone through it and made sure it is in good shape.
post #3 of 7 Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 130
I have 2 of the older 10000 units, a 10M4 and a 10M6 … they both are solid machines, I am actually in the process of completing a frame off restoration (ground up) on the 10M4 … due to its age, it may need a friction disc, and to get at it on these older machines can be a hassle since most that age have the upper rod of the friction disc bracket rust welded to its outer sleeve, thus requiring a lot more dismantling than normal. You can also put XTrac tires on it for 40.00. Like any older machine, you should have some mechanical ability, and be able to wrench on them. It is worth a 100.00 if running and it looks like it has been taken care of, but it is 50-55 years old remember, and even though it is quality, things do wear out like axle bushings, etc., etc..... If your up to taking care of it, fine … if not, then take that money and put it towards a newer unit. Just my opinion. As I said, I love these older units, and I enjoy working on them.
post #4 of 7 Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 176
hard to day if it is worth it or not. that may be one of them machines you almost need to see in person to see if it is worth it or not. you can tell it has been repainted so may look good in pictures but bad in person. as far as price goes it really isn't too bad if the machine work as it should and it is in as good of shape as it looks. it does also seem like slowly every winter the market is flooded with more and more older snowblowers. heck i have seen some that need obvious work(bent augers) and people are still asking top dollar for them. i don't know if this link will work or not but i think this might either have a bent auger or broken shear pin and are asking $300. i don't think i would ever spend that much on a older machine especially something with a old flathead.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2910219&type=1

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #5 of 7 Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 345
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 780
Condition looks good. It's a 1968 to 1972 10,000 series. Looks identical to my 1971, probably 7hp, 24" bucket.

I paid $250 for my '71 a decade ago and she is still going strong.
Based on discusions in this forum, prices have come down over the past 10 years for 10,000 series machines, which only makes sense..

but still, if everything works on this one, if she starts, runs and blows snow, then IMO $120 is a very good deal.
These machines are still classics, and are still excellent daily drivers, and still have many years of service to go..even at the 50 year mark.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Unread Today, 12:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 1
Not bad on the price and you can always throw a 8hp 1150 series B&S on it for under $200 or a harbor freight 6.5 hp predator on it for $100 with coupon. Who cares if it's original with a white engine if all you want is to blow snow.
post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 02:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 129
Likes (Received): 77
For that price as long as it holds up and runs o.k. it is a lot cheaper than the Doctor/Chiropractor bill would be after you throw your back out from shoveling.
Only draw-back would be getting replacement parts if something broke, but those old machines were built pretty tough.
That "Old Iron" was built a heck of a lot better/stronger than the China powered garbage they build today that might last a few years if you are lucky.
Look at how many years that thing lasted, it probably has a few more good years left in it yet. It will probably out-last a new one the way they build them today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page