Seeking opinions on the Sno-Thro Cab Kit - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 11-12-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 6
Seeking opinions on the Sno-Thro Cab Kit

There are many times when the wind is howling and blowing snow/ice back into my face while snowblowing. I like the idea of the cab, but honestly, I just don't see very many people using them. Are they worth it? Does the plastic get covered in snow making it impossible to see out of? Can it be taken off/reinstalled easily and quickly? Does the headlight get blocked? Any and all opinions appreciated.

I've got a Pro 28, btw. Thanks

Ariens Hydro Pro 28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-12-2019, 07:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 198
If you are blowing snow and what you are blowing is coming back in your face, than just crank/turn the chute away from you, or come at it from the opposite direction.

I have never, ever seen anyone use one of those plastic/vinyl cab attachments. I would think they would be a pain in the ass Ö. jmho

If it is a blizzard out, your not going to avoid that in any fashion, just wait till it stops.

And always wear the proper gear. I choose the full insulated helmet liner with collar, one that has the removable mouth chin guard. put a nice warm hat over that, and you can blow in sub zero weather, no problem. That's what we wore on the railroad.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-12-2019, 08:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 89
Likes (Received): 63
I have one and wouldn’t be without it. It does not accumulate blowback nor impede vision. It also helps break the wind even when it’s coming from behind, which is open (because it is an obstacle that creates a partial block that the wind must go around). It’s like standing in the corner of a bus shelter in the wind. If anything it improves vision, and it also creates shelter when it’s still snowing/sleeting.
The ONLY negative is that the added #5-7 pounds or so of cab weight (which isn’t much) might make the front end a bit lighter. This isn’t an issue with tracked machines (they don’t tend to climb packed snow as much as wheeled units) but if you have wheels I would recommend a #10-15 pound weight be added to the front of the bucket if you mount a cab. It’s just a question of geometry for each individual machine.

Last edited by SnowG; 11-12-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ST1100A thanked for this post
post #4 of 19 Old 11-13-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Great information, thank you.

Any feedback on ease of removal/reinstall? The place I store my machine has low clearance and I am fairly sure I would have to take it off each time I use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowG View Post
I have one and wouldnít be without it. It does not accumulate blowback nor impede vision. It also helps break the wind even when itís coming from behind, which is open (because it is an obstacle that creates a partial block that the wind must go around). Itís like standing in the corner of a bus shelter in the wind. If anything it improves vision, and it also creates shelter when itís still snowing/sleeting.
The ONLY negative is that the added #5-7 pounds or so of cab weight (which isnít much) might make the front end a bit lighter. This isnít an issue with tracked machines (they donít tend to climb packed snow as much as wheeled units) but if you have wheels I would recommend a #10-15 pound weight be added to the front of the bucket if you mount a cab. Itís just a question of geometry for each individual machine.

Ariens Hydro Pro 28
post #5 of 19 Old 11-13-2019, 11:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 150
Thanks (Received): 282
Likes (Given): 382
Likes (Received): 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHuskyinMA View Post
Great information, thank you.

Any feedback on ease of removal/reinstall? The place I store my machine has low clearance and I am fairly sure I would have to take it off each time I use it.
This is the one thing I was going to comment on. Make dang sure you have adequate overhead clearance through whatever door you may be going through. I see these advertised many times on sites such as Craigslist, Kijiji, Etc. I can almost bet they're selling them for this reason.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba that I practically had to rebuild... Windows 7 OS
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ST1100A, Clutch Cargo thanked for this post
Likes CTHuskyinMA, Clutch Cargo liked this post
post #6 of 19 Old 11-13-2019, 05:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 150
Thanks (Received): 282
Likes (Given): 382
Likes (Received): 935
Here's one...

https://chambersburg.craigslist.org/...005660625.html

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba that I practically had to rebuild... Windows 7 OS
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #7 of 19 Old 11-13-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
ďUsed once.Ē Why, because itís a PITA and heíd rather go without?? Thatís why Iím asking for opinions. 😉

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post

Ariens Hydro Pro 28
post #8 of 19 Old 11-13-2019, 10:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quick removal and reattachment is not practical with my Honda snow cab. I used to have another brand with my prior snowblower that also wasn’t easy to take off and on. Other brands might be different.

You should probably pass on this if you plan to take it off and on.

Last edited by SnowG; 11-13-2019 at 11:05 PM.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-13-2019, 11:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHuskyinMA View Post
ďUsed once.Ē Why, because itís a PITA and heíd rather go without?? Thatís why Iím asking for opinions. 😉
If it fits right and there arenít any overhead height issues they are an asset, not. PITA.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-14-2019, 01:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 77
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 155
Likes (Received): 119
Or do like a lot of people do and wear a full faced crash helmet with the face shield down, but use some fog free treatment on the shield so you can see out of it. It actually works to keep all the snow out of your face being protected with the helmet, and keeps the head and face warmer.

Last edited by ST1100A; 11-14-2019 at 01:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in