post #1 of 16 Old 11-13-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 0
Question for the Ariens Masters

Hey all,

So I have been searching everywhere to find the correct belts for my Yard King Signature with no luck. Tonight the Wife told me to just find a new Snow Blower so we are not dealing with other peoples issues. This has me super excited! So far I have looked at the Ariens Classic 24. I had an Ariens Rear Motor Lawnmower for a few year's, couldn't kill the thing, only sold it because I bought a bigger mower when I moved into a house with a bigger yard.

I also looked at a Toro Power Max 824 as I remember my Dad buying a Toro back in 1992. I still have the old 521 in hopes of restoring it.

Both unit's don't have a light in the Dash, it's something I like, but I could always just use a headlamp as I am not sure if you can add a light to a Snow Blower that don't have one already..

So long story short, Besides being all Metal (Something that has me very interested) and made in the USA, what do you all love about the Ariens? Anyone have the Ariens Classic and can toss some pro and cons to me?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-13-2019, 08:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 42
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 182
Are you firm on the Ariens Classic? If not, consider the Ariens Deluxe, Platinum, or Pro models. I'm partial to Ariens myself but by all accounts Toro makes a very good if not excellent product as well.

Where do you live, how much snow do you get, how often, and how big is the area that you need to clear? All of those issues will affect what snow blower is recommended.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Jr802 liked this post
post #3 of 16 Old 11-13-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVguy View Post
Are you firm on the Ariens Classic? If not, consider the Ariens Deluxe, Platinum, or Pro models. I'm partial to Ariens myself but by all accounts Toro makes a very good if not excellent product as well.

Where do you live, how much snow do you get, how often, and how big is the area that you need to clear? All of those issues will affect what snow blower is recommended.
Hi WV,

I live in Vermont, we get some pretty good storms. I clear a "2 Car" driveway, but I could park six cars nose to tail so not a huge area. I also like to take care of a few driveways for some elderly folks around me as I always worry if they need emergency services, so I keep them cleared out. Not really firm on the Classic, looking more at the cost since Christmas is right around the corner.

Also thanks for the reply!
post #4 of 16 Old 11-13-2019, 08:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 42
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 182
I'm sure someone who lives in or near Vermont will chime in soon, but given that you want to clear some neighbors too, if the budget allows you might want to consider a larger machine than just what will do your own driveway. Even with Christmas fast approaching, also consider how long you plan to stay where you are, this will affect your amortization cost, or "cost per year" for example of ownership. So a $1,000 machine kept ten years has a per year cost of $100. Or $50 for 20 years - and if maintained it will easily last that long. Considered that way, the difference between a $1,000 machine and a $1,500 machine is pretty small.

I bring this up because you may want to think about a 28 inch wide machine or larger, and you don't want to regret buying a too-small one three years from now. Also, are you going to be using it after work? If so you'll want one with a light and I'm not sure the Classic has one. If doing multiple driveways you'll be dealing with multiple end-of-driveway (EOD) monsters that the snowplow leaves so you'll want a bigger engine to deal with that.

Also, how are you on doing your own maintenance? Are you comfortable changing the engine oil, spark plugs, greasing it and so on? Do you own a grease gun? Or are you "all thumbs" when it comes to machinery and plan on having the dealer do the maintenance? This makes a big difference on where to buy, because if you're planning on having the dealer do the maintenance you'll generally get better treatment if you buy it there, even if it does cost a tad more than the big box store (but it probably won't).
post #5 of 16 Old 11-13-2019, 08:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 147
Likes (Received): 297
The classic is basically a Ariens Sno-Tek painted orange with a few upgrades, not a bad machine just on the low end of the Ariens line, I repair them and came across a 2017 deluxe 24 cheap needing repairs (lost a fight with a forklift st Lowe’s) but have it back to new and plan on selling the Sno-Tek I built for the wife to use(added larger engine headlight and heated grips with X-Trak tires) ok it’s a beast of a Sno-Tek but the Deluxe is just a heavier duty machine also with auto turn so it’s being kept. Compare models and see how they feel standing behind them in the store before you decide on any model. Toro also makes some nice machines but I do favor Ariens personally.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 07:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 22
What disturb me with Toro is when I saw my friend's snowblower with an impeller bushing instead of a bearing. On most snowblowers this bearing is often one of the parts we have to change more than other parts. I suppose a bushing will not last longer than a bearing. Also the price of this bushing is quite high.

Last edited by legarem; 11-14-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Likes Jr802 liked this post
post #7 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Outstanding Info, thank you to all. You all make good points! I have some thinking to do and will have to go stand behind them a bit and play with the controls. I do all my own maintenance as I'm a car mechanic as a trade, and I love keeping stuff working good and getting my hands dirty. You are correct that I need to not just think about my Driveway and a light is nice, I have done the headlamp thing and it does get old fast!
post #8 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 08:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 46
Garage
If going new I would step up to the deluxe model for a couple hundred extra. Larger engine, headlight make the upgrade worth the investment. Personally I think the 28 SHO is the best balance between price and performance out there right now. Good Luck!

Ariens 1027le
Meyer 8' Stainless Lot Pro fitted to 2012 F250
17 Arctic Cat Mtn Cat, for the day after
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 09:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 46
Likes (Received): 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by legarem View Post
What disturb me with Toro is when I saw my friend's snowblower with an impeller bushing instead of a bearing. On most snowblowers this bearing is often one of the parts we have to change more than other parts. I suppose a bushing will not last longer than a bearing. Also the price of this bushing is quite high.

My experience is different. Toro has used this style of bearing for the impeller for many decades. It lasts many years and is easy to change when necessary. The price of the impeller bushing for a Toro Power Max 824 OE is $10.34 at Toro.com. Ariens sells their impeller bearings for more.

1986 Toro 524 (Predator 212 Hemi, Impeller Mod.)
1997 Toro 724
1997 Toro 824XL Power Throw

Last edited by toromike; 11-14-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #10 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 09:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 63
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 277
Likes (Received): 173
yeah, I wouldn't worry about the Toro impeller bushing. As Toromike said, the bushing assembly is well made and designed, and if they need replacement after many years, the procedure is straightforward.

Paul
----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Toro 724 with Predator 212cc, 1988 Toro 521
1980 Toro 421, 1995 Craftsman 524
1997 Toro CCR 2500 & 1994 Toro CCR Powerlite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page