post #1 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 15
Ariens heated grips resistance specs

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know the resistance specs for the Ariens heated grips which are used on the Deluxe 28 snowblower?

These grips are provided in the Ariens kit # 72101400, which fits these snowblower models-

https://parts.ariens.com/Ariens-Snow...p/72101400.htm

I read someone saying 2.5 ohms per grip, but I'm not sure if they were specifically referring to this exact grip.

If someone knows, or would be able to unplug and measure one of their grips, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 05:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 14
I don't know for sure but it seems about right.
in https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qbegrrqux...grade.pdf?dl=0 there is a measurement of the current going to the warmers of that model of about 2.4 amps. That gives roughly 5 ohm for the pair.

We also know through the led conversion thread that both Briggs and LCT engines seems to have 60W stators.
subtracting 20W for the headlight means that the warmers can't use more than 40 max. If I did my math correct that gives minimum 1.8 ohm per warmer as a theoretical max, add a safety margin on that and 2.5 seems about right again.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 07:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 53
I measured mine using a Fluke 23 meter. It was 5.0 ohms (remember they're wired in series).

That equates to around 2.4 amps. (Assuming the alternator is outputting at 12 volts).

12 volts / 2.5 ohms = 2.4 amp = 2.4 amps 12 volts = 28.8 watts (total for both).

That also equates to 90 Btu/h for both (or 45 Btu/h each.

Not very much in below freezing weather.

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
2010 Yard Machines 600 Series, 24" w/179cc MTD engine
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
Troy Bilt 521OR w/Tecu HSSK50 engine
post #4 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Excellent info Guys!

This info answers my questions and will solve my problem.

I had installed a pair of MTD grips on my new 28 Deluxe. I thought I would save a couple bucks when I bought the MTD kit at Home Depot with a coupon for $53. It's not hard to make my own harness etc, so I went for it. Instead I'm getting a short lesson on heated grips. The MTD grips don't heat well on my machine, and test at 4.5 ohm per grip and 9.0 for the pair, which at 12 vdc equates to about 16 watt for the pair. MTD engines must have have higher voltage? If their engines are outputting 16 or 18 volts, then the grips would be somewhere in the ball park. I guess it doesn't matter though- I need to go shopping at the Ariens store.

Thanks again for the info!
post #5 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 08:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 42
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 180
An alternative is heated gloves. Depending on how long you're going to be out there that might be cost-effective and doesn't limit you to one machine. There are of course all kinds, from junk to very good so look at reviews and consider who makes them.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 09:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 21
I find thick gloves are adequate for warmer weather (25 or warmer) but for colder weather my fingers freeze and the heated grips are just not adequate. (Heat doesn't really get through the gloves anyway).

So I use wool gloves or mittens under leather US surplus mittens, and throw in a hand warmer heat pack. (Just let it warm up about a 1/2 hour or so, to get nice and toasty). Mittens are better than gloves in keeping my finger warm.

Mittens:

Mitten liners I'm currently using:

Heat packs:

(You can also get them to fit boots and chest vests).

This combo keeps my hands warm to below zero.

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
2010 Yard Machines 600 Series, 24" w/179cc MTD engine
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
Troy Bilt 521OR w/Tecu HSSK50 engine
post #7 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 08:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Slightly off topic, but 20-30W of power for handwarmers is a total waste. Lets be honest, if you have anything besides one-ply cotton gloves from the dollar store, the heat is not penetrating enough to maintain temps inside the glove. And nobody is snowblowing without gloves. If you are, its not cold enough to need the warmers in the first place.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 11:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 26
Garage
I have 2 Ariens machines. The 5 year old Platinum machine will light a fire thru my gloves. It's so hot I need to turn them off. My 2 YR old pro machine the grips are warm. I even shut off all the lights and that made no difference. I assumed the voltage was low. It didn't change anything. I bought a new set thru Ariens but never bothered to swap them out. Last year it's just as easy to swap the gloves out that are wet causing my hands to get cold. Why they run different temps I don't know.

I'm going to look for 12volt gloves or a full bike suit. I have a 12volt battery on board.....

Bob
post #9 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Update on the heated grips...

I bought and installed the Ariens accessory grips. Yeah, a bit of change at $81, but after using them, I wouldn't want to go without. On the cold days, oh the heated grips are so nice. Yesterday was 0F and I was running the blower for about 1.5 hours. Hands were nice and toasty, and it felt sooo good to grab those roasty warm grips.

Now keep in mind, these grips aren't the same deal as a snowmobile grip with which your hands are mostly in fully wrapped constant contact. Instead, with a snowblower, your palms are on the safety handles, both hands are moving about to control chute & position deflectors, changing machine speed & direction, etc.

Hope this helps someone's buying decision.

And also, I did not use the toggle switch in the kit. I thought the supplied switch looked lame and too old school. Instead I used this really nice high-zoot rubber booty waterproof switch on Ebay for a bargain $1.50ish including shipping. I might hunt down the on-off-on version of this switch and wire it with a resistor to have high and low heat settings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-LED-12V...f/152529171190
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0148.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	162901  

Ariens Deluxe 28
post #10 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 01:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 543
A good pair of Mittens has never failed me, and any good pair of mittens will always be warmer than gloves. Plain and simple JMHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page