Ariens Deluxe 30" EFI (921049) End of the Driveway after Plow - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-15-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens Deluxe 30" EFI (921049) End of the Driveway after Plow

I just got my Ariens Deluxe 30" EFI (921049) delivered today and put it together.

Now I wait for the snow!!

The main reason i got this one is because i wanted one that chews through the end of my driveway after the plow comes.

Big blocks of snow - frozen and wet and all.

Can anyone tell me from experience how this will perform in these conditions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-15-2019, 10:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 147
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 929
A bit of info just in case you may not already know... Get to the EOD as quickly as possible after the plow dumps it there. The longer it sits the more difficult it is to move.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 10:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I got my Ariens EFI Deluxe about a week ago. Eats through the clumps of snow left by the plow with no problem. Lots of power. However, Iíd like it a lot more if it had a brake. I have a long driveway with a couple of hills on it. If Iím going uphill & need to stop I disengage the clutches & it immediately begins to freewheel back into me. If the footing is slippery I canít stop it. If Iím going downhill just the opposite happens. I disengage the clutches & it immediately starts freewheeling downhill away from me. Itís usually too slippery for me to stop it so I find myself either letting it take me for a ride or I try and run behind it to try & keep up. At 77 neither sliding or running after it is a preferred choice. The manual says for emergency stopping to disengage both clutches & turn the key to off. I guess at least if I turn the key off the engine wonít be running when it either backs over me or slams into my barn door. It seems like there ought to be a way to brake the wheels when the clutch is disengaged. Maybe thereís something Iím overlooking. Any comments?
post #4 of 9 Old Yesterday, 01:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 63
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 151
Likes (Received): 109
A Hydrostatic drive wont freewheel on you like the friction drive does.
If you shut off the engine on a friction drive, you still have to engage the drive clutch to stop it from moving, otherwise, it will continue to roll away on you.

Last edited by ST1100A; Yesterday at 02:52 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 415
Likes (Received): 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I got my Ariens EFI Deluxe about a week ago. Eats through the clumps of snow left by the plow with no problem. Lots of power. However, Iíd like it a lot more if it had a brake. I have a long driveway with a couple of hills on it. If Iím going uphill & need to stop I disengage the clutches & it immediately begins to freewheel back into me. If the footing is slippery I canít stop it. If Iím going downhill just the opposite happens. I disengage the clutches & it immediately starts freewheeling downhill away from me. Itís usually too slippery for me to stop it so I find myself either letting it take me for a ride or I try and run behind it to try & keep up. At 77 neither sliding or running after it is a preferred choice. The manual says for emergency stopping to disengage both clutches & turn the key to off. I guess at least if I turn the key off the engine wonít be running when it either backs over me or slams into my barn door. It seems like there ought to be a way to brake the wheels when the clutch is disengaged. Maybe thereís something Iím overlooking. Any comments?
What about trying tire chains? The chains could create enough rolling resistance when you have the traction disengaged that you would not have the control issues.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #6 of 9 Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Received): 155
@gypsy,

First let me congratulate you , I hope I am still doing snow at 77 Ö.

If it were me, and you have no brake on that machine? (bit strange) Ö. I would just bring it at a 90 degree to any slope before turning it off.
post #7 of 9 Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
I have never seen a brake on a snowblower... If you disengage the drive it will roll. If traction on the hills is an issue you may want to consider a tracked unit. If you can afford it a tracked hydrostatic drive machine is as good as it gets. Good Luck and be careful!

Ariens 1027le
Meyer 8' Stainless Lot Pro fitted to 2012 F250
17 Arctic Cat Mtn Cat, for the day after
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old Today, 11:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 80
Likes (Received): 125
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I got my Ariens EFI Deluxe about a week ago. Eats through the clumps of snow left by the plow with no problem. Lots of power. However, I’d like it a lot more if it had a brake. I have a long driveway with a couple of hills on it. If I’m going uphill & need to stop I disengage the clutches & it immediately begins to freewheel back into me. If the footing is slippery I can’t stop it. If I’m going downhill just the opposite happens. I disengage the clutches & it immediately starts freewheeling downhill away from me. It’s usually too slippery for me to stop it so I find myself either letting it take me for a ride or I try and run behind it to try & keep up. At 77 neither sliding or running after it is a preferred choice. The manual says for emergency stopping to disengage both clutches & turn the key to off. I guess at least if I turn the key off the engine won’t be running when it either backs over me or slams into my barn door. It seems like there ought to be a way to brake the wheels when the clutch is disengaged. Maybe there’s something I’m overlooking. Any comments?
My driveway has a slight slope so I park it at right angles to the slope, as @oneacer suggested.

If you need to keep the machine in line on the slope then you could try putting the gearshift into first, hold wheel drive clutch lever down and put a tie wrap over the handle and clutch lever, turn the engine off. The friction between the drive plate and friction wheel should prevent the machine from moving. The tie wrap would be made prior so the loop is just large enough to hold clutch down to the handle but be able to remove it easily. It is useful for a number of maintenance operations on both clutches.

I have never heard of a wheel brake on a snowblower.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #9 of 9 Unread Today, 06:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
I bought a Deluxe 30" EFI at the end of the season last year so I had no chance to use it.
We got 3" of heavy wet snow last night. At the end of the driveway there was 8" of snow.
It went through that heavy wet stuff so easy and it threw it really far.
I was really impressed how well it did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page