New Auger Belts for Deluxe 28 (921 Series) - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-17-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 80
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 96
Likes (Received): 97
New Auger Belts for Deluxe 28 (921 Series)

So, when I purchased my previously enjoyed 2015 Deluxe 28 last spring, the only thing that disconcerted me was a loud bang and abrupt engagement when the auger was engaged. I went through the engine maintenance and basic lubrication when I first got it and deferred looking at this until I had a chance to study the Operator & Service Manuals more. The last couple of weekends I went through the drive and auger adjustments per the Operator Manual and still had this noise. Having never owned an Ariens before, I had nothing to compare it to. I was thinking that it might be related to the sheave brake, so I disconnected it and it changed things only slightly. I finally decided that it might be the aguer belts. Bought a new set, watched the Ariens videos and started the swap.

The first thing I found is that the belts were indeed worn and stretched. This was quite surprising given that the machine is only 4 years old and appears to have been barely used. Per the S.M. and the videos, the machine is quite easy to split and the old belts came out without a problem. However, getting the new one in the lower auger sheave is a real challenge. If anyone knows of a trick or technique, I would really like to know. I ended up forcing the belt between the sheave and the mounting flange fastener perforations with a screwdriver and unfortunately did some slight damage to the back side of the belt and maybe the side. I really hated to do it, but everything else I tried failed.

Bottom line was that the belts were indeed the problem. Engagement is smooth and what you'd expect. I guess the original belts were slipping and locked up suddenly, causing the noise. Just thought any other Ariens newbs out there would like to know.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28
Previous Machines:
1995 Yard-White-Bilt 8/26 Frankenblower
1980 Toro 826
1981 Toro 3521

Last edited by Clutch Cargo; 11-17-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-17-2019, 01:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 111
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
Did you use up all the adjustment on the tensioner idler pulley, where the bolt can be loosened and slide in the groove, cut into the arm, to put it closer to the belt drive pulley?

I don't have any special technique to put the belts on the lower pulley (impeller pulley) there is enough space between the pulley and the supports on each side to put the belt into the groove by hand. In the attached pic you can see the brackets, the one to the left shows the positions of threaded metal and where there is a gap. The belt is inserted where the gap is located to give more space.

In the second pic you can see the tensioner pulley mounting bolt slot for adjustment.

In the third pic there is a tensioning diagram showing the belts only need a 1/2" deflection before the tensioner pulley deflects slightly when clutch is tied to handlebar with a tie wrap (loose tie wrap so it can be removed and reused).

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariens bucket alignment supports.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	159187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Belt adjustment slot - stock.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	159189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Auger belt tension diagram.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	159191  

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #3 of 7 Old 11-17-2019, 04:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 23
I just removed the auger pulley to get to the belts. No big deal for me as I have an impact wrench. You could probably force them in, or out of those tiny spaces.

The pulley should hold on to the shaft very well, because of rust. Penetrate oil and torch burner help. It is good to have it out so you can apply anti-seize on the shaft to prevent rust.

It is like nothing, if you work on cars and machines a lot. You encounter these problems every single time.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-17-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman2 View Post
I just removed the auger pulley to get to the belts. No big deal for me as I have an impact wrench. You could probably force them in, or out of those tiny spaces.

The pulley should hold on to the shaft very well, because of rust. Penetrate oil and torch burner help. It is good to have it out so you can apply anti-seize on the shaft to prevent rust.

It is like nothing, if you work on cars and machines a lot. You encounter these problems every single time.

Town: I initially found the idler pulley at the outermost limit (away) from the belt and adjusted it three times with the last being all the way in and it didn't change the noise one bit. Just a theory, but it was a big box store purchase and I think it may have been out of adjustment from day one, which accelerated the belt wear.

dman2: I thought about doing just that, but finally got the belt in. The pulley hasn't one bit of rust on it, and I guess I should've pulled it off the put anti-saeize on it for the future. Maybe next summer. Do you need a puller to get if off?

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28
Previous Machines:
1995 Yard-White-Bilt 8/26 Frankenblower
1980 Toro 826
1981 Toro 3521
post #5 of 7 Old 11-17-2019, 05:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 111
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
Town: I initially found the idler pulley at the outermost limit (away) from the belt and adjusted it three times with the last being all the way in and it didn't change the noise one bit. Just a theory, but it was a big box store purchase and I think it may have been out of adjustment from day one, which accelerated the belt wear.

dman2: I thought about doing just that, but finally got the belt in. The pulley hasn't one bit of rust on it, and I guess I should've pulled it off the put anti-saeize on it for the future. Maybe next summer. Do you need a puller to get if off?
I used a puller for the several times I have taken it off (to change bearings and impellers and gearbox impeller seal) but it was not on very tight, just safer than trying to pry it off. No corrosion on shaft, etc.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #6 of 7 Old 11-17-2019, 07:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post

After 10 years, mine had some rust and it stuck on there very well. When I pulled the pulley out with two hands, I noticed the shaft move out a little as well (a little play). And, so, I laid a block of wood between the bucket and the pulley (I also pried the pulley out with one hand), while tapping the shaft in on the other hand. That is how I got it out. I hope that makes sense for you.

Be careful when you are tapping the shaft. You can deform/stretch it (happened to me before). Use a rubber hammer, or something.

Prior to that, I tried to pry it out after applied heat and penetrate oil to it. It didn't come out. I didn't pry it out with all of my strength of course.

I didn't have a puller that was suit for that.

I also work on cars once in a while, so I know how important it is to apply anti-seize. Stainless, or not, they will rust over time.

Last edited by dman2; 11-17-2019 at 07:46 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-17-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page