post #1 of 18 Old 11-18-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 34
Likes (Received): 24
212cc Predator Spark Plug Upgrade

Hi Guys,

I did the Predator 212cc swap. I see people here make suggestions about installing a better plug than what came with it.

Question: Should I use a NGK- BP6ES

Or, should I use the following;

Autolite Racing Spark Plug

AR3910X Racing Spark Plug - Predator & Honda Clone
Autolite
Our Price: $6.50
Part Number:419357MPN:AR3910xAvailability:Ships same day if ordered before 12PM Eastern time.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
This is the spark plug you want for high performance Gasoline or Methanol. We have seen as much as a 3/4 HP gain simply by changing to this plug.

Predator 212cc , Predator 301cc, Predator 420cc

Honda Clone 196cc, GX160, GX200

Ariens 1969 10,000 Series-- Tractor 10965 serial # 005841 with 10995 serial # 023507 Sno-Thro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 12:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 60
Likes (Given): 115
Likes (Received): 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariensboy View Post
Hi Guys,

I did the Predator 212cc swap. I see people here make suggestions about installing a better plug than what came with it.

Question: Should I use a NGK- BP6ES

Or, should I use the following;

Autolite Racing Spark Plug

AR3910X Racing Spark Plug - Predator & Honda Clone
Autolite
Our Price: $6.50
Part Number:419357MPN:AR3910xAvailability:Ships same day if ordered before 12PM Eastern time.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
This is the spark plug you want for high performance Gasoline or Methanol. We have seen as much as a 3/4 HP gain simply by changing to this plug.

Predator 212cc , Predator 301cc, Predator 420cc

Honda Clone 196cc, GX160, GX200

I use the NGK you mention above. I have been changing it every two years and it works fine. I would be skeptical of the 3/4 HP gain claim with the autolike racing plug on a stock engine. There are go carters that modify the Preditor and supe them up.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Ariensboy thanked for this post
post #3 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 12:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 202
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 416
Likes (Received): 266
If you are using the engine for snowblower use, I would go with the NGK BPR5ES plug. The 5 is a little bit hotter and the R is resistor type, that is a very common plug that works well.
For a small engine, I wouldn't waste the extra money for a "Racing" plug, you wont notice any difference with it, except that it cost you more money and they can foul just as easy as a cheap regular plug.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 87powershiftx2 liked this post
post #4 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 01:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100A View Post
If you are using the engine for snowblower use, I would go with the NGK BPR5ES plug. The 5 is a little bit hotter and the R is resistor type, that is a very common plug that works well.
For a small engine, I wouldn't waste the extra money for a "Racing" plug, you wont notice any difference with it, except that it cost you more money and they can foul just as easy as a cheap regular plug.
I use the BPR6ES in both of my Predator powered snowblowers and they run great even at 0 F. I also use the same sparkplug in my minibikes with Predator 212cc on them. The Autolite plug reduces the volume of the combustion chamber and at most adds but 1/2 hp. It does this by adding about 3psi or so to the compression. But at $7.00 a sparkplug it doesn't make sense for a snowblower. I have a modified stage 3 Predator with a Mukuni VM22mm in my Rupp Roadster 2 resto-mod and I am using the NGK sparkplug in that engine too.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 01:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustoGuy View Post
I use the BPR6ES in both of my Predator powered snowblowers and they run great even at 0 F. I also use the same sparkplug in my minibikes with Predator 212cc on them. The Autolite plug reduces the volume of the combustion chamber and at most adds but 1/2 hp. It does this by adding about 3psi or so to the compression. But at $7.00 a sparkplug it doesn't make sense for a snowblower. I have a modified stage 3 Predator with a Mukuni VM22mm in my Rupp Roadster 2 resto-mod and I am using the NGK sparkplug in that engine too.
Hi Gusto. I remember those old Roadster 2's. I had the Black Widow when I was younger, those old mini-bikes were a blast back then.
The old Rupp's are worth money today if they are original.
I guess with a highly modified engine the plug would make a little bit of a difference, but not enough on a stock engine to justify the extra cost.
I normally use the BPR5ES on everything, winter and summer, a common plug for my Honda equipment. I stick with the NGK plugs, they always worked better for me.
Have to see some pictures of your Roadster some time. They were high tech in their time with the belt torque converter set-up, bigger spoked wheels, and lights on the Roadster all on the old pull-start mini-bikes.
I think they were rated at 4 H.P. back then stock, I remember all the tricked out parts you could get for the Widow, back then they may have been 5 hp with the straight pipe and Del Orto carburetor and a hotter cam.
I remember the Widow's used to blow the engines a lot from revving them so high for a flathead without the governor,but that was part of the fun of it with them, and replacement engines were not expensive back then.

Last edited by ST1100A; 11-19-2019 at 01:47 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes GustoGuy liked this post
post #6 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 02:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Hi Gusto. I remember those old Roadster 2's. I had the Black Widow when I was younger, those old mini-bikes were a blast back then.
The old Rupp's are worth money today if they are original.
I guess with a highly modified engine the plug would make a little bit of a difference, but not enough on a stock engine to justify the extra cost.
I normally use the BPR5ES on everything, winter and summer, a common plug for my Honda equipment. I stick with the NGK plugs, they always worked better for me.
Have to see some pictures of your Roadster some time. They were high tech in their time with the belt torque converter set-up, bigger spoked wheels, and lights on the Roadster all on the old pull-start mini-bikes.
I think they were rated at 4 H.P. back then stock, I remember all the tricked out parts you could get for the Widow, back then they may have been 5 hp with the straight pipe and Del Orto carburetor.
Here is a picture of my bike with the Predator. I estimate my bike to have at least 12 to 13HP with the stage 3 NR racing kit in it with 22lb valve springs and the low restriction exhaust. The BlackWidow is a highly collectible bike and with the Del Orto carburetor added about an additional 1hp to the bike performance and the HS40 were basically ungoverned with this carburetor and quite a few of them ended up blowing connecting rods especially if people wound them up while going downhill they could get the RPMs too high causing the connecting rod to fail. I have a 1971 Rupp catalog and it said right in the manual that there is no warranty with the BlackWidow. The BlackWidows were about 7 to 8mph faster than the Roadsters since the engine would rev higher being that they were ungoverned with the Del Orto carburetors. I have an ARC billet rod with forced oiling passage on the dipper and an ARC billet flywheel rated for 8000 RPMs. My bike reves to about 5700 to 5800 RPMs and I clocked it at 52 mph with my GPS app on my Samsung Galaxy S 9+ smartphone on a level section of road. I bet on a section going downhill I could get it to approach 60mph which is quite scary fast on a little bike like a Rupp Roadster 2. Other than a souped-up Predator the bike is mostly stock except for a Comet steel primary and comet steel secondary which is better TAV than the stock Rupp aluminum secondary was. I bought a 25lb bag of lead shot and ended up putting 6lbs in the frame tube right in the front of the engine and 4 extra pounds into the handlebars to tame the wheelies since it has 3 times the hp it did when stock. Here is a picture of what my bike would have looked like stock with a period-correct HS40. It is not my bike since mine was an engineless roller that I bought on Craigslist for $100 without the period-correct HS40 see picture of the red Rupp Roller.

I also attached the Rupp Catalog from 1971 too since you are a fan of Rupp mini-cycles. I could not upload the Rupp catalog for some reason. I have 3 mini bikes 1971 Arctic Cat and a Predator powered DB30 as well as my Rupp resto-mod, I also own 3 snowmobiles a boat and a personal watercraft too. I really enjoy my toys and they are fun to ride and I do most of my riding at my cabin since I have miles of low maintenance gravel roads to ride my mini bikes on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rupp .jpg
Views:	75
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	159315   Click image for larger version

Name:	green Rupp Roadster 2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	159317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rupp Mini  Bike.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	159319  

Last edited by GustoGuy; 11-19-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ST1100A thanked for this post
Likes ST1100A, nwcove, Grunt liked this post
post #7 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 03:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustoGuy View Post
Here is a picture of my bike with the Predator. I estimate my bike to have at least 12 to 13HP with the stage 3 NR racing kit in it with 22lb valve springs and the low restriction exhaust. The BlackWidow is a highly collectible bike and with the Del Orto carburetor added about an additional 1hp to the bike performance and the HS40 were basically ungoverned with this carburetor and quite a few of them ended up blowing connecting rods especially if people wound them up while going downhill they could get the RPMs too high causing the connecting rod to fail. I have a 1971 Rupp catalog and it said right in the manual that there is no warranty with the BlackWidow. The BlackWidows were about 7 to 8mph faster than the Roadsters since the engine would rev higher being that they were ungoverned with the Del Orto carburetors. I have an ARC billet rod with forced oiling passage on the dipper and an ARC billet flywheel rated for 8000 RPMs. My bike reves to about 5700 to 5800 RPMs and I clocked it at 52 mph with my GPS app on my Samsung Galaxy S 9+ smartphone on a level section of road. I bet on a section going downhill I could get it to approach 60mph which is quite scary fast on a little bike like a Rupp Roadster 2. Other than a souped-up Predator the bike is mostly stock except for a Comet steel primary and comet steel secondary which is better TAV than the stock Rupp aluminum secondary was. I bought a 25lb bag of lead shot and ended up putting 6lbs in the frame tube right in the front of the engine and 4 extra pounds into the handlebars to tame the wheelies since it has 3 times the hp it did when stock. Here is a picture of what my bike would have looked like stock with a period-correct HS40. It is not my bike since mine was an engineless roller that I bought on Craigslist for $100 without the period-correct HS40 see picture of the red Rupp Roller.

I also attached the Rupp Catalog from 1971 too since you are a fan of Rupp mini-cycles. I could not upload the Rupp catalog for some reason. I have 3 mini bikes 1971 Arctic Cat and a Predator powered DB30 as well as my Rupp resto-mod, I also own 3 snowmobiles a boat and a personal watercraft too. I really enjoy my toys and they are fun to ride and I do most of my riding at my cabin since I have miles of low maintenance gravel roads to ride my mini bikes on.
NICE BIKE !!!
I miss those old Rupp's. They were fast in their day, a little bit too fast for most people.
Thank you for sharing the pictures. They bring back a lot of memories.
Back in the Evil Knevil days !!!
You are correct about the speed those things did, that was too fast for a little mini-bike, but as kids we were indestructible back then.
I remember the Widow going faster than the Yamaha 175 enduro back then on the trails we had, and to think the Rupp even had suspension, unheard of for a pull start mini-bike back then, most were the rigid frame models that were available everywhere.
They had that special custom intake manifold, made just for the Rupp mini-bike because of the engine tilt in the frame.
Those intake manifolds are hard to get. If you have the original manifold, hang on to it, they are hard to find and worth money.
I remember them wearing out the pulley sheaves and bushings on the primary and secondary clutches, the steel sheaves were a lot better than the aluminum ones, and people used to change the springs and weights to make them engage at higher speeds on some of them.

Last edited by ST1100A; 11-19-2019 at 03:24 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes GustoGuy liked this post
post #8 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 04:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
NICE BIKE !!!
I miss those old Rupp's. They were fast in their day, a little bit too fast for most people.
Thank you for sharing the pictures. They bring back a lot of memories.
LOL As to being a little bit too fast (Stock Rupp Roadster 2's were capable of about 28-32 mph and stock Black Widows could go about 35-40 mph) this bike with about 3 times as much HP as stock is more like "a lot too fast". I will not let anyone younger than 18 years old ride it since it could mess you up if you are not careful plus a helmet is not considered optional on this bike. If you were to whiskey throttle it from a stop it could literally jump out from between your legs. I take off easy and carefully throttle it up and it is plenty quick. I will be mounting a GPS powered speedometer on it too. I also have a Daymaker clone 35W high powered LED headlight which I will be getting a high capacity 12 Volt rechargeable battery to power it so I can ride it at night. It will also have brake light and rear running light on it too when I am done with it. I am a bit afraid of it and it definitely commands your undivided attention when riding it. I have yet to ride it on gravel roads since it is still at home in my garage and I took it for a short just over 1 mile ride on the paved road with my smartphone in my front jean pocket with the GPS speedometer app on and it registered a top max speed of 52 mph with an average speed 43 mph on my ride which occurred on a section of level straight road less than 1/2 mile from my house and I believe I could have easily gotten a few more mph out of it. Plus it isn't street legal either although it is possible to register a Rupp to be street legal if you have a title for it which I do not. It will be legally ridden most of the time off the highways on gravel roads at my cabin and I don't know how stable this bike will be at higher speeds on gravel roads either and I do not want to push it and end up with a bad case of road rash. On the paved road, it seemed stable and pretty easy to ride and my other Predator powered mini bike (Baja DB30) has a top speed of about 40mph which I have actually done on the gravel roads around my cabin and it is sort of questionable at that speed on gravel let alone going another 10+ mph faster which this bike is capable of.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ST1100A liked this post
post #9 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 06:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 22
Hello Rupp Guys. Look at that here. It is in stock condition near my city. Stock condition.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7241150559431/
post #10 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 34
Likes (Received): 24
Hi guys

Thanks for the input on the plug!

That Rupp is very nice. I wanted one when I was 12 yrs old. But at the time I think they were like $199.00, I could be wrong, but my folks said it was to much money at the time.

Ariens 1969 10,000 Series-- Tractor 10965 serial # 005841 with 10995 serial # 023507 Sno-Thro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page