Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Need help with an Ariens ST624-10m60d

Need help with an Ariens
624-ser no 10m60d(the rest gone)

The shear bolts on the auger drive are gone. One side turns with the engine, the other side is free on the shaft.

How does the shaft come out so that I can get the remainder of the shear bolts out and put in new? I can't tell by the parts break-down how it comes apart. The side that is free on the shaft is the right side(holding on to the controls.) Judging by the Ariens parts site, it is a very old machine, but it starts great and throws snow like a champ.

The shear bolts are 1/4", not the 5/16 like most
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Just line the holes up in the auger/shaft and either use a punch or the new pin to knock the old one out. It shouldn't be in there too tight unless it got bent. both sides should have the hole in the same direction so line it up like the other side and you should see the hole.

Now is a good time to remove the other side and put some grease in all 4 grease fittings and spin them around a few times too.

Be glad that someone has done that in the past and your augers didn't get rusted to the shaft and that allowed your shear pins to function properly.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-05-2014, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
That's exactly what I wanted to do, but I cannot find the remains of the shear bolts in the main shaft. And the shear bolts are missing from the other side, but it must be rusted to the sshaft, because it does not spin free.

Thanks for the reply Any and all solutions would be greatly appreciated.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Well, if the other side is rusted maybe it is time to remove the whole thing and clean it up. You have to unhook the chute rod, remove the belt cover and remove the 2 bolts on top of the bucket right in front of the belt cover. That will separate the snow scoop from the drive. After that turn the scoop on the front end and remove the pulley or locking jaw from the back. Now remove the bearings on the outside edges of the augers. Now the whole assembly should come out the front. There might be some roll pins holding the augers on to the shaft and then they should slide right off the sides.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-05-2014, 07:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
The solution is to remove the auger/impeller assembly from the shovel housing and using heat, hammer, brute strength and lots of pb blaster to free up the frozen auger from the shaft. I have had to do 2 in the last 3 months and they can be a bear. On one, there was a very slightly bent shaft which made matters worse. There isn't a lot of clearance to begin with and the old stuff is very well built ie. very heavy!You will have to split the bucket and tractor first. Then remove the bracket bolts on the top of the bucket, the two large nuts on the sides, the bearing flanges on the sides, and the large clutch dog on the rear of the impeller shaft which is on with Allen set screws. Then you should be able to pull the whole assembly out of the frame. Sometimes you need to use a block of wood and a hammer on the rear of the impeller shaft to get it to pass through its bearing. Once out, you need to remove the bearings from the ends of the auger shafts, remove the freely spinning auger, and go to work on the frozen one. Lots of fun. Good luck. MH
post #6 of 7 Old 02-06-2014, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead64 View Post
The solution is to remove the auger/impeller assembly from the shovel housing and using heat, hammer, brute strength and lots of pb blaster to free up the frozen auger from the shaft. I have had to do 2 in the last 3 months and they can be a bear. On one, there was a very slightly bent shaft which made matters worse. There isn't a lot of clearance to begin with and the old stuff is very well built ie. very heavy!You will have to split the bucket and tractor first. Then remove the bracket bolts on the top of the bucket, the two large nuts on the sides, the bearing flanges on the sides, and the large clutch dog on the rear of the impeller shaft which is on with Allen set screws. Then you should be able to pull the whole assembly out of the frame. Sometimes you need to use a block of wood and a hammer on the rear of the impeller shaft to get it to pass through its bearing. Once out, you need to remove the bearings from the ends of the auger shafts, remove the freely spinning auger, and go to work on the frozen one. Lots of fun. Good luck. MH

that's exactally what I did not want to hear.

My neighbor (the machine's owner) will owe more than 1 12 pack.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-07-2014, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Victory!

Got extremely lucky and was able to find the broken parts of the hear bolts that were in the auger shaft.

A good soaking with PB Blaster and a vigorously applied hammer and punch, and out they came.

On the frozen auger, a little more PB laster and a good tug and it loosened up on the shaft. Tapped the hole for a grease fitting, and it's as good as new.

Delivered to the owner (next door) yesterday afternoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page